editing xorg.conf

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: editing xorg.conf

Post by exploder »

You can edit xorg using this command in the terminal.

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kooziesan

Post by Kooziesan »

I am having the exact same issue with my ATI rage 128. I just installed mint Gloria and I am a very new to linux. Xorg.conf has the same output as posted above, and only can adjust display settings to 800x600.
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

One of my machines has an ATI Rage 128 Ultra (16 MB) video card in it. I have set it manually as seen below:

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
Driver     "ati"
Option    "AccelMethod"     "XAA"
EndSection
These settings work for me, but you may have to add a few more options depending on exactly what hardware you have. I have used these exact settings with both a CRT and LCD monitor at 1024x768 with no further modification. Good luck.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Kooziesan

Post by Kooziesan »

After making those changes, still 800x600 max resolution. Checked the Xorg.0.log file and it appears that it was loading a "r128" that listed the rage 128 devices prior to my making any changes. I'm just going to live with it for now at 800x600 as it is just going to be a server box anyways.

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”