Hang @ install??

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
scaramonga

Hang @ install??

Post by scaramonga »

Hi all.

Quick question as I may be missing something here?

When I boot from Live CD, the boot hangs and displays 'READY' on screen, that's it, no go, no collect £200 LOL!! :lol:

I thought it may have summit to do with HD settings in BIOS, but I tried AHCI, Native IDE and Legacy IDE, I get the same whatever? (what's best BTW?)

Just trying to install this on a cheap setup for security needs ;)

System is as follows:

ECS AMD690GM-M2 board.
AMD 4200 X2 CPU
1Gb RAM
80 Gb Seagate HD 7200.9
Nvidia 7600GS

I just shoved HD in without formatting or doing nothing, could that be the problem? (dunno what's on it)

Many thx for any help guys.

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Hang @ install??

Post by DataMan »

First question back to you... did you check the md5 checksum when you burned the iso image?

DataMan
scaramonga

Post by scaramonga »

Hiya DataMan

No I didn't, I got it from this site, should I need to?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

As a first step, I would recommend establishing that the download has integrity. As has been mentioned many times in other threads, the conventional wisdom on this is:

1. Download the iso file.
2. Burn the iso file as an iso at a very slow speed. Before burning check the md5 checksum against the established md5 (usually available at the down load site as a separate file.

DataMan
scaramonga

Post by scaramonga »

As a first step, I would recommend establishing that the download has integrity. As has been mentioned many times in other threads, the conventional wisdom on this is:

1. Download the iso file.
2. Burn the iso file as an iso at a very slow speed. Before burning check the md5 checksum against the established md5 (usually available at the down load site as a separate file.
OK I done that, 2 downloads from 2 different mirrors and both checked against hash. Burned both disks at 1x speed and tried booting from both, all exactly the same!

Install hangs at 'ready' on each of these disks (3 now). Running 'compatibility mode' hangs after a page of info, same spot, on each boot disk. Removed graphics card and connected to onboard video, no difference. Removed wireless PCI card and tried, no difference. Swapped RAM for other sticks, no difference. Tried other SATA ports, no difference. Tried AHCI, Native IDE and Legacy IDE, no difference.

Could it be because my CD/DVDRW drive is of the SATA variety? That's the only thing I can think of, as I'm practically running a 'bare' board trying to get this thing to install.

Post by Guest »

Got it fixed, after a fashion. :roll:

Turns out, this board has a problem with Linux kernels and the High Precision Event Timer (HPET).

Disabling this in BIOS allowed the install to proceed. :D :D
first timer

Post by first timer »

Hey guys, i know this is an old thread but I'm having the same problem, i see the solution has been discovered. now the only problem is, as my name implies, I'm an idiot. This is my first rodeo with linux and I'm still learning about computers in general. So, my question is could someone please tell me have to edit the bios on my boot disc (or where ever i need to edit them) to disable HPET. Thanks.
conslie

Post by conslie »

first timer:
When you restart your computer you can access the BIOS settings by tapping a key as it begins the boot process. On mine it is the delete key, but the first screen you see should tell you which key to hit.

After that, you'll have to explore a bit.
first timer

Post by first timer »

Ok, Thanks bud.

Return to “Installation & Boot”