problems upgrading to the DVD edition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChickenPie4Tea

problems upgrading to the DVD edition

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

I click on the button and get "install aditional software" I click yes then get "Can not install 'mint-meta-gnome-dvd' (E:Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.)
I think this is because the first time I tried something went wrong.
What can I try - a command to type into terminal instead?
ok just tried using terminal and it gave me some extra info it said
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
mint-meta-gnome-dvd : Depends: sun-java6-plugin but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

so what would be the command to use in terminal that would just leave out(exclude) the sun-java6?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: problems upgrading to the DVD edition

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I think you gotta update the software list. Open the terminal and type in "sudo apt-get update" then click on install additional software.
ChickenPie4Tea

Post by ChickenPie4Tea »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:I think you gotta update the software list. Open the terminal and type in "sudo apt-get update" then click on install additional software.
not sure what you meant - I did the sudo apt-get update and it got the packages list but then when you say "then click on install additional software" in terminal there is nothing to click on so do you mean switch to snyapse?
any way I typed in terminal sudo apt-get upgrade --force-yes and it installed a lot of stuff so maybe that is all I need.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

I meant after you did the "sudo apt-get update," click on the link to install additional software.
What you did probably did install them.
4z01235

Post by 4z01235 »

Having this same exact problem on a fresh installation of 32-bit Julia. I've never had this problem in the past over many, many installations of Mint 10, all from the same disk even. Some time recently, this plugin must have been removed from the repositories or something, perhaps because it's been superseded by a newer version?

Does anyone have a list of packages that the mint-meta-gnome-dvd package pulls down, or know a good way to have apt ignore that one missing "dependency?" I'd like to upgrade this installation to the DVD edition, primarily for the multimedia codecs, but it's not so urgent that I want to spend the time looking into which packages the DVD metapackage actually points to :lol:
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

4z01235 wrote:Having this same exact problem on a fresh installation of 32-bit Julia.
Here it is. Maybe there was a temporary down? Try again!
http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... eta-gnome/
Does anyone have a list of packages that the mint-meta-gnome-dvd package pulls down

Code: Select all

f-spot, gnome-wise-icon-theme, mint-backgrounds-helena, mint-backgrounds-isadora, mint-elementary-icons, mintinstall-icons, nautilus-share, openoffice.org-base, sun-java6-plugin, samba, samba-common-bin, shiki-wise-theme, smbclient, ttf-dejavu, ttf-dejavu-extra, ttf-wqy-microhei, vlc
4z01235

Post by 4z01235 »

mint-meta-gnome-dvd package is still not installable, since it depends on sun-java6-plugin, which is not installable anymore. Just have to manually install the rest of what the meta package contains as per that handy list (thanks :)) and get a Java plugin separately I suppose.

Return to “Beginner Questions”