Is there some equivalent of 'task manager'?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Is there some equivalent of 'task manager'?

Postby atyar on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:51 am

Several times since I began using Mint about a week ago, the computer has frozen up. 3 times while trying to run Lincity, and a couple of times while on the internet. If I had been running Windows at the time, I would have tried to bring up task manager to kill the offending process, and move on. I've not come across the equivalent in Linux, yet, so I've had to do a hard power-down of the pc, then deal with the file system errors fix routine, etc. One of those times, it took me a couple of tries to get Mint running again as I had to get more familiar with the fsck util usage.

Is there a better way to get out of a 'frozen' situation like this? Also, is there a thorough fsck or equivalent I can run to shore up the file systems in my many partitions? After all of the freezes, etc., I'm not 100% confident that all is well with the file systems.....

Thanks! :P
atyar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is there some equivalent of 'task manager'?

Postby gibbs1984 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:08 am

If it's just one particular program that freezes/crashes then you can use System Monitor (which you can find in the mintMenu) and kill the process, or like I do I have the Force Quit icon on my taskbar and use that to kill a program that crashes, this can be found by right clicking on the taskbar, Add to Panel and then selecting Force Quit.

If it's your whole computer that is crashing then I don't think these will be the best option as you'll probably have some other major issue that keeps making it crash.
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby DataMan on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:12 am

Or, from a command line approach:

Code: Select all
$ ps aux

To kill a process (the process id from the above) :
Code: Select all
$ kill -9 <process id inserted here>

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby atyar on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 am

Thanks for the info. In my case, neither the mouse nor the keyboard are responsive when it's freezing up. I was hoping there was some equivalent of a 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' key combo, as there are times when Windows misbehaves that the 3-finger salute is the only was to kill an offending task.

Hmm......not sure what the problem could be :?

I've run the Linux update, so that's all up-to-speed. All I can think of from there is that it's something to do with multimedia apps - when I was on the net, I think I was testing watch instantly on Netflix with Firefox, or something to that effect. Before the movie even started playing, the pc froze.

In reality, all I really use this laptop for is Openoffice, email, and the internet, so Mint seems like a good choice for it, given the age of the platform (Thinkpad T40). Wish I could get it to work stable-like :mrgreen:
atyar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:51 am

If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby bobcollard on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:44 pm

atyar wrote:Thanks for the info. In my case, neither the mouse nor the keyboard are responsive when it's freezing up. I was hoping there was some equivalent of a 'Ctrl-Alt-Delete' key combo, as there are times when Windows misbehaves that the 3-finger salute is the only was to kill an offending task.

Hmm......not sure what the problem could be :?

I've run the Linux update, so that's all up-to-speed. All I can think of from there is that it's something to do with multimedia apps - when I was on the net, I think I was testing watch instantly on Netflix with Firefox, or something to that effect. Before the movie even started playing, the pc froze.

In reality, all I really use this laptop for is Openoffice, email, and the internet, so Mint seems like a good choice for it, given the age of the platform (Thinkpad T40). Wish I could get it to work stable-like :mrgreen:

In Mint it's Ctrl/Alt/Esc then click your mouse button, Or, you could use another method if your mouse works. Look at the second option in this link:
http://wlmtips.com/2008/07/25/force-qui ... ux-friday/
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64
bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions