Help with Netgear wn111v2 usb wireless, please?!-SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eyeofruby

Re: Help with Netgear wn111v2 usb wireless, please?!-SOLVED

Post by eyeofruby »

Quick questions, does anyone know if the proposed solution with wnda3100 drivers works with wn111v1 devices as well?

Thanks!
irish176esb

Re: Help with Netgear wn111v2 usb wireless, please?!

Post by irish176esb »

cdproject wrote:I had a hard time getting this to adapter to work also. came across a cure on the Ubuntu website which involved using WNDA3100 drivers!!! I have attached them to this post for you to use. Simply unpack them, go to Administration > Window Wireless Drivers and point to the unpacked inf file and your adapter will be recognised straight away. Then connect as per normal. I now have a much stronger and more stable signal then when I was using my Realtek wireless!!!
I followed these directions and installed just fine, but when i try to connect ,it connects for a minute then completly freezes my system. i have to do a hard shutdown to reboot my system. im running the latest linux mint 8. im not sure if its a bug or not ? please help.
deka316

Post by deka316 »

@irish176esb I believe I posted this back when I was using either LM 6 or 7, I don't remember off the top of my head. But I do know that I kept the same netgear adapter and it worked without using ndiswrapper in LM 8 helena, I know sometimes wireless drivers can cause a kernel panic and the machine will have to be hard shutdown because everything goes crazy and freezes up. I am looking into a solution for you. Please read the "rules" and post your output from the terminal here so we can help you. Cheers,
Deka
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

I just picked up one of these wireless adapters (no idea of which version, yet) and, after finding this thread, I installed the wireless driver above. It works - if I manually enter the login info.

Although I have laptops that can auto-log onto the network, I don't see how to make it automatic here, without requiring manual manipulation, entering the password and ignoring the second keyring password.

It also looks as if connecting to the router may take longer than it takes for XBMC to run and start looking for the networked files. How can I assure that the connection is made before XBMC wants it?
superdavemac

Post by superdavemac »

I just installed linux mint 10 to my IBM t21 laptop before installed I test ru8n the system I have a linksys Wpc111 notebook adapter and a netgear ma111 wireless usb adapter as soon as the system booted the card was lite up and usb adapter was lite up I unplugged network from the router to the laptop in the taskbar right side there was an icon that looked like an unplugged cable I right clicked one side of the cable the available wireless networks popped up
superdavemac

Post by superdavemac »

I clicked on my on mine a screen came up for the password it put password in then a keyring screen password showed up I cancelled it but that's up up too you if you want two passwords , it loaded my wireless network , I also have the same adapter you have only a wn111v3 it worked the same way. Once installed the system all three devices worked the same way. I didn't install any drivers It looked linux mint 10 has everything you need to make these devices to work

Return to “Beginner Questions”