LM Xcfe - I can't get ibus

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ljk

LM Xcfe - I can't get ibus

Post by ljk »

Greetings,

I recently installed Linux Mint 17.1 Xcfe on an ageing Win 7 netbook. I sometimes need to write Japanese words. For this I need an IME, ibus is the one recommended . I used the instructions on http://www.localizingjapan.com/blog/201 ... -cinnamon/
I thought they'd be roughly the same, but I can not get ibus. I get some ibus libraries, but no actual program, using Software Manager..

I would appreciate any help to resolve this. I will also need Anthy (ibus-anthy), so help on getting both would be most welcome.

Best regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: LM Xcfe - I can't get ibus

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome to Linux Mint!

1. Using Software Manager or command line install packages ibus, ibus-anthy, and ibus-gtk, ibus-gtk3, and ibus-qt4.

2. In Settings section of your menu find Keyboard Input Methods and start that.
2.1. Click "Yes" to start the daemon (you might want to add this to auto-start later, or start it manually whenever you need it).
2.2. Click "Ok" on the message you get.
2.3. Go to the Input Methods tab. Set the checkmark to Customize active input methods. Click on the selection box below it and find Japanese in it (you may have to click on the entry at the end of the list to show all languages), hover your mouse over it and a submenu should pop up where you can select Anthy. Do that :) The selection box should now show the text Anthy. Click on the "Add" button next to it and Anthy should be added to the list beneath it.

3. In Settings section of your menu find Input Method and start that. Click "Ok". Click "Yes". Select "ibus" and click "Ok" two more times. Done.

4. In the status area of your panel (default, far right) you should see a small black and white keyboard icon. You can click that to choose your input method for the active application. IBus only works on applications that support it!

5. As a test open Text Editor (gedit) from your menu. Type something. Now click the keyboard icon in your status area and select Japanese - Anthy. Type something more in gedit. Should work :mrgreen:

空に大きなチーズが挨拶します

(disclaimer: I don't know Japanese :lol:)
ljk

Post by ljk »

Thank you.
The original problem was that Software Manager could not get ibus, I found that Synaptic could..
I installed the cinnamon version of LM to see if that worked any better, but got warnings about video running in software mode.
I've re-installed the Xcfe version, and will try again following your advice. I'll post the result when I manage to get things working.

Much obliged for your help & best regards.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If Software Manager has trouble, you can indeed use Synaptic. Or just copy & paste this command onto the terminal to install the correct packages:

Code: Select all

apt install ibus ibus-anthy ibus-gtk ibus-gtk3 ibus-qt4
ljk

Post by ljk »

どうも ありがとう ございます - many thanks indeed. Everything is fine now.
Software manager is working properly - I must have repeatedly made (a) typing error(s) on my first few attempts, for which I aplogise sincerely.
The netbook has a small screen (5 inch?) , and a small keyboard, so typing is tricky.. I thank you very much for your excellent advice, and hope you will forgive me if the errors were entirely caused by me.

My very best regards.

Return to “Beginner Questions”