Downloading iTunes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eringould07

Downloading iTunes

Post by eringould07 »

Hey,

For some reason I can't download iTunes... Is there some way I can download it again?

Please help!

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Downloading iTunes

Post by Pierre »

how did you do that - the first time?.

- iTunes may not work on Linux,
as it is more a windows based program.

and - what version of LinuxMint - are you using?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

Here's a page with some direct download links on it.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Apple doesn't make an iTunes version for Linux the last I knew. And I tried a few months ago to install iTunes for Windows using Wine, without success.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

eringould07 wrote:Hey,
For some reason I can't download iTunes... Is there some way I can download it again?
Please help!
Thank you.
Hi eringould07,

As far as I know you cannot run iTunes on your Linux desktop without using "Wine" or PlayOnLinux". I checked PlayOnLinux to see if iTunes was already in that and itunes 10 was there. You can install PlayOnLinux which uses Wine from your Software Manager or the Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

But, why would you want to when there are very good Music Manager players that run natively on Linux Mint?

Check out this topic on iTune alternatives for Linux:
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=194392

FYI: It is always a good idea to let everyone know more details about your setup, like which edition of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, KDE, Mate, Xfce and what version 17, or 17.1? What is your hardware setup? You can also put this information in your "signature" under the "user control panel" in the upper left portion of this forum screen, so that when you make or reply to a post everyone knows what you have which makes it easier to answer your questions, see example of mine below. You can get your system information from your System Menu option for System Information, or Infocenter, or by typing in "inxi -Fx" from your console terminal prompt.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

You never know... He might want to download iTunes for an offline Windows system.
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

I can think of two reasons why you might want to use iTunes.

1. Purchase music - Nothing on Linux that I know of allows the user to purchase the variety of music out of so large a store house of music.

2. Burning CDs -iTunes will automatically split large files over several disc. I often record a 3 hour music program. iTunes will split the file over 3 disc when I burn them. I don't know of any other program that will do that.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Look through the information from the linked WineHQ web page: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=1347

You'll see that iTunes version get very poor ratings, rendering it all but useless.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

ejazzkatt wrote:I can think of two reasons why you might want to use iTunes.

1. Purchase music - Nothing on Linux that I know of allows the user to purchase the variety of music out of so large a store house of music.
Hmmm... if you can only use iTunes to buy from a store, then the store is flawed. Is like going to a brick store that will only let in the customers that wear one brand of shoes, whatever. Skip it, I say.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

The other option is to run the Windows version of iTunes on a Windows Virtual Machine in VirtualBox. I did that for a number of years to back up my iProducts until I hackintoshed my main rig to run OS X Lion.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

2. Burning CDs -iTunes will automatically split large files over several disc. I often record a 3 hour music program. iTunes will split the file over 3 disc when I burn them. I don't know of any other program that will do that.
Hi ejazzkatt,
FYI
Regarding #1 Purchasing Music: I personally think it is a huge mistake for Apple and the iTunes Store to not allow purchases through their website without requiring the use of their iTunes player. I read other peoples comments saying the same thing including some angry recipients of iTune gift cards they could not redeem or get a refund from.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the iTunes music manager player and the iTunes store when I was using MS Windows, but I use Linux Mint now and the awesome Amarok for Music Manager and Player (which can easily Rip's CD's into .mp3, etc..) and "K3b" for burning CD/DVD's including Music CD's or DVD's

There are numerous other websites where you can purchase music, for instance:

Amazon.com which has great pricing and a Huge selection of music, even better pricing if you are a "Amazon Prime" member. You can buy digital music and download immediately, or buy CD's, etc..
http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Downloa ... =163856011

Google 's Music store is another great music site...
https://play.google.com/store/music?hl=en

5 Cheaper Alternatives For The iTunes Store - $1 Per Song? No Way!
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1-per-song ... nes-store/

Regarding #2 Burning CD's: I know that most if not all of the CD / DVD Burner programs included, or available, in Linux Mint can easily burn Music CD's & DVD's. I use "K3b" and it works great; and there are others.

As for splitting large files over several CD discs automatically, I'm not sure about that. I never used that function in iTunes when I used it before.

BUT, there are programs that can easily split up large music (audio) files for Linux automatically, or by your specifications, like "mp3splt-gtk" Audio Splitter, which you can then use to "burn" or create CD's or DVD's.

mp3splt-gtk Audio Splitter - It is probably in your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/mp3splt-gtk/

Mp3Splt-project is a utility to split mp3 and ogg files selecting a begin and an end time position, without decoding. It's very useful to split large mp3/ogg to make smaller files or to split entire albums to obtain original tracks. If you want to split an album, you can select split points and filenames manually or you can get them automatically from CDDB (internet or a local file) or from .cue files. Supports also automatic silence split, that can be used also to adjust cddb/cue splitpoints. You can extract tracks from Mp3Wrap or AlbumWrap files in few seconds. For mp3 files, both ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags are supported.

Powerful Audio Converter & Splitter for Ubuntu Linux – Xcfa
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2011/12/audio ... ntu-linux/

Online Mp3 (audio) splitters - no need to install anything
http://mp3cut.net/
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ramanny

Post by ramanny »

phd21 wrote:
Hi ejazzkatt,
FYI
Regarding #1 Purchasing Music: I personally think it is a huge mistake for Apple and the iTunes Store to not allow purchases through their website without requiring the use of their iTunes player. I read other peoples comments saying the same thing including some angry recipients of iTune gift cards they could not redeem or get a refund from.
Don't get me wrong, I liked the iTunes music manager player and the iTunes store when I was using MS Windows, but I use Linux Mint now and the awesome Amarok for Music Manager and Player (which can easily Rip's CD's into .mp3, etc..) and "K3b" for burning CD/DVD's including Music CD's or DVD's

There are numerous other websites where you can purchase music, for instance:

I will admit, I'm an Apple fan due to the iphone, I've never had a portable communication device last so long without issues. Having said that, the above post is a great example of why competition works!

Amazon.com which has great pricing and a Huge selection of music, even better pricing if you are a "Amazon Prime" member. You can buy digital music and download immediately, or buy CD's, etc..
http://www.amazon.com/MP3-Music-Downloa ... =163856011

Google 's Music store is another great music site...
https://play.google.com/store/music?hl=en

5 Cheaper Alternatives For The iTunes Store - $1 Per Song? No Way!
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/1-per-song ... nes-store/

Regarding #2 Burning CD's: I know that most if not all of the CD / DVD Burner programs included, or available, in Linux Mint can easily burn Music CD's & DVD's. I use "K3b" and it works great; and there are others.

As for splitting large files over several CD discs automatically, I'm not sure about that. I never used that function in iTunes when I used it before.

BUT, there are programs that can easily split up large music (audio) files for Linux automatically, or by your specifications, like "mp3splt-gtk" Audio Splitter, which you can then use to "burn" or create CD's or DVD's.

mp3splt-gtk Audio Splitter - It is probably in your Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/mp3splt-gtk/

Mp3Splt-project is a utility to split mp3 and ogg files selecting a begin and an end time position, without decoding. It's very useful to split large mp3/ogg to make smaller files or to split entire albums to obtain original tracks. If you want to split an album, you can select split points and filenames manually or you can get them automatically from CDDB (internet or a local file) or from .cue files. Supports also automatic silence split, that can be used also to adjust cddb/cue splitpoints. You can extract tracks from Mp3Wrap or AlbumWrap files in few seconds. For mp3 files, both ID3v1 & ID3v2 tags are supported.

Powerful Audio Converter & Splitter for Ubuntu Linux – Xcfa
http://www.hecticgeek.com/2011/12/audio ... ntu-linux/

Online Mp3 (audio) splitters - no need to install anything
http://mp3cut.net/
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Amazing how many linux users will dump on iTunes just because they can't use it ... that said, I've never had any desire to do so.

Apple has zero interest in supporting linux. Not surprising, that. And using wine (or playonlinux which is nothing more than a GUI for wine) is very problematic with itunes. See this:

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... n&iId=1347

... and remember, anything you see there rated less than Gold is rubbish in linux. Anyone who wants to try Wine should bookmark that wiki site.

Your best bet is to use a windows machine or run windows in a VM like virtualbox.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt »

Hi phd21,

Thanks for the information. I have used Amazon to buy CDs by mail but I've never downloaded any music from them. Although I do listen to other kinds of music, I'm a jazz radio announcer and when I've looked in the past, the other services just didn't offer as much jazz as iTunes did. I will look at the places mentioned in the article that you sent me the next time I'm looking for some music. I have bookmarked that article.

I do have XCFA installed and I have used it.

Thanks again for the information.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

EVERYTHING Apple does is motivated by $. They require i-Tunes because they write the code and control it completely... and as a result, they control its users and their users' behavior and their media source (them)... Apple is all about control - you (usually) can't buy their software without the hardware or their hardware without the software. And if you do anything to take control of one of their devices (like jail break an i-Phone), they'll leave you twisting in the wind. The ONLY reason that there is a (free for the D/L) Windows version of i-Tunes is that Apple wanted to broaden the market for i-Tunes and the Apple i-Store.

Linux (and OSS in general) flies in the face of the Apple marketing strategy and the Linux community is too small to be seen on their radar as a marketing target... plus, many Linux users are already customers because of other i-devices that they own so making a Linux version holds little value for the marketing behemoth that is Apple...

...just MHO, YMMV...

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

And yet without Apple we wouldn't have CUPS, avahi, a way to use samba without using anything related to Microsoft, half of the design of Gnome, ... um ... ok ...that last one may not be a positive.

Anywho, each OS has it's place folks so there's no need to get so testicular about this.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

No testosterone here, I just think I understand how present day Apple runs... They do nothing without a resulting significant benefit to themselves. I'm not say that that is necessarily bad or good - it just is...

In terms of the things you mentioned, well that may have been the Apple of old, not present day Apple... from Wikipedia >>>
Michael Sweet, who owned Easy Software Products, started developing CUPS in 1997. The first public betas appeared in 1999.[3] The original design of CUPS used the LPD protocol, but due to limitations in LPD and vendor incompatibilities, the Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) was chosen instead. CUPS was quickly adopted as the default printing system for most Linux distributions. In March 2002, Apple Inc. adopted CUPS as the printing system for Mac OS X 10.2.[4] In February 2007, Apple Inc. hired chief developer Michael Sweet and purchased the CUPS source code.[5]
So, basically Apple's contribution to CUPS is that they started using it (for free) in 2002 and then bought it in 2007... and if OS X (released in 2001!) wasn't a Unix like environment, they wouldn't have cared!... and they got the source code for the underpinnings of OS X for free (it's freeBSD based!) I'm not impressed with their philanthropy...

Also from Wikipedia >>>
Avahi was developed by Lennart Poettering and Trent Lloyd. It is the result of a merger of Poettering's original mDNS/DNS-SD implementation called "FlexMDNS", and Lloyd's original code called "Avahi" that happened in 2005. While most of today's code originates from the former project, the name of the latter was used for the joint project. Development on "FlexMDNS" started in late 2004, and work on the original "Avahi" began in early 2004.

Avahi was originally developed under the freedesktop.org umbrella, but has now become a separate project. Avahi, however, makes use of freedesktop.org's D-Bus IPC layer.

The name Avahi is the Malagasy native name and scientific Latin name of a genus of woolly lemur, a family of primates indigenous to Madagascar. Trent Lloyd found the name, liked it, and it stuck. The logo reflects this.
I missed Apples contribution to Avahi completely...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

None of what you posted is accurate.

Without the implementation of mDNS with Bonjour on OSX there there would be no Avahi. As for cups run the following in your browser:

Code: Select all

localhost:631
CUPS is the standards-based, open source printing system developed by Apple Inc. for OS® X and other UNIX®-like operating systems.
The version of cups in my OSX Mavericks is only sightly ahead of the one I use in Linux. Same cups, same commands, same issues.

Each OS has it's place and every single one of them steal something from someone else. Look at how a Linux *.desktop file is constructed then look at how a Windows *.ini is constructed. We all steal from someone else.

In any event none of this has anything to do with iTunes running on Linux.

Sorry for the interruption.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Laugh2
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Laugh2 »

Hi eringould07, I had a similar problem - for months I couldn't download the latest version of iTunes from Apple's site for my country. However, downloading worked immediately when I tried from a different country. For example:
Good luck.

PS. There is a procedure to get iTunes going in Mint here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=198099. If you want to use the store don't use the links above as you will need the older iTunes version 10.1.1, which you get from the link given in the procedure described.

Return to “Beginner Questions”