Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show" [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DahakThor

Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show" [SOLVED]

Post by DahakThor »

Hello!
I have installed Linux Mint 17 (or 17.1) along with Windows 7 Ultimate and yesterday I have modified in Start>Drives an option, to show my sda8 (root) drive.
Since then, I can NOT access Linux. I always get this error:

Code: Select all

EXT4-fs (sda8): Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show" or missing value
                  An error occurred while mounting /.
As I can no longer access my Window either (I get blue screen after 2-3 minutes or it doesn't load at all) since I installed Linux, now I am without an operating system and, there fore, without PC.
As until now I couldn't get any Linux version able to be made as bootable from usb stick but, even so, I wouldn't want to delete my partitions, as my work is valuable and I don't want to loose it.

I have read different forum topics, some with the same problem but from different reasons, and still I can't make it work.
I am not so good with all the terms. And one of my main problems is that I can't get to access the terminal from my error screen (rarely I have access it by pressing who know what key combination, but most of the times I get an alternate screen with a lot of words and all the lines ending with "[ok]" in the right side of the screen).

Please help me because I don't know what else to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DahakThor

Re: EXT4-fs (sda8): Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show"

Post by DahakThor »

DahakThor wrote:Hello!
I have installed Linux Mint 17 (or 17.1) along with Windows 7 Ultimate and yesterday I have modified in Start>Drives an option, to show my sda8 (root) drive.
Since then, I can NOT access Linux. I always get this error:

EXT4-fs (sda8): Unrecognized mount option "x-gvfs-show" or missing value
                  An error occurred while mounting /.
If I can get rid of this message, I get a gray screen with blue background that say:

Could not start the X
server (your graphical environment)
due some internal error.
please contact  your sistem administrator
or check your syslog to diagnose.
In the meantime this display will be
disabled. Please restart MDM when
the problem is corrected.

<  ok  >
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I don't know what you could have done here, but when you say
I have modified in Start>Drives an option, to show my sda8 (root) drive
was this in lunux or windows :?:

Please start the live media (the installation dvd/usb) and open the terminal and enter the following:

sudo -i

mount /dev/sda8 /mnt
Paste back the results of the following

grep -v ^# /mnt/etc/fstab
and

blkid
DahakThor

Post by DahakThor »

Thanks for the suggestion, but now is too late.

I've made that change in Linux from: Menu > Preferences > Disks. Than, on the partition panel, I've selected Partition 8 (my root) > More actions > Edit mount options > Show in user interface.
Nothing happened until I've hit Shut Down and than Restart. After that, the error described before appeared.
And it is stupid that one can ruin the entire Linux system for beeing able too see a partition.

I couldn't even reinstall new Linux by only deleting the root partition. I had to delete all the Linux partions and start over. For that I've lost most of my late 2 months work.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I didn't resolve this, but can't test more solutiions, I think this topic should be closed!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I've made that change in Linux from: Menu > Preferences > Disks. Than, on the partition panel, I've selected Partition 8 (my root) > More actions > Edit mount options > Show in user interface.
And it is stupid that one can ruin the entire Linux system for beeing able too see a partition.
First, this is not your fault.

Second, "show in user interface" doesn't mean what you or any reasonably intelligent person might think it means.

If you mount something under /media or your home directory ( /home/your-user-name ) the mounted partition's mount point shows up all over the place like on the desktop or on the side panel of the file manager. If you mount in anywhere else like under /mnt or off the root directory itself it will not show up there.

"show in user interface" ( x-gvfs-show ) forces the mount point of a partition not mounted under /media or a users home directory to show up on the desktop and the side panel of the file manager. And that's all it does.

The use of "Disks" is not something I would recommend - at least not at the moment. When and if Mint adopts in full systemd this particular error with x-gvfs-show will or at least should go away.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
DahakThor

Post by DahakThor »

The use of "Disks" is not something I would recommend - at least not at the moment. When and if Mint adopts in full systemd this particular error with x-gvfs-show will or at least should go away.
I hope they will resolve this some times sooner... :)

I know it's not recommended to mess with a lot of thing, but I'm a nosy type of guy and I want to know stuff and make stuff look and do thing my way... I will definitely will remember the bad choices I've made and not modify all that I can without searching the consequences...

Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”