Thumbnails not displaying (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Thumbnails not displaying (Solved)

Post by 1.618 »

Apologies if this is in the wrong section...

In caja, i notice that where i used to have thumbnails for files they would show album art for music or if it was a jpg it would be a thumbnail of the picture, or pdf would be book covers and so on, but since my last install they are not showing properly, i have a generic thumbnail that looks like it is loading but never gets there, grey background with a clock on top, was wondering how i can get them to display properly, have checked through the preferences and online but can't find anything that helps, any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Thumbnails not displaying

Post by killer de bug »

In the preferences, there is an option to check. In one of the last tab ('previewing'), you can chose the maximal size for displaying a thumbnail.

Post by 1.618 »

killer de bug wrote:In the preferences, there is an option to check. In one of the last tab ('previewing'), you can chose the maximal size for displaying a thumbnail.

Thanks, have tried that and even with it set on the biggest size, all i get is a grey background with 'jpg' across it instead of the actual picture.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi, There are many good posts on this thumbnail topic in this forum.

Perhaps the link below will help. It is about displaying thumbnails regarding PDF files or any files...
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=174028
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Post by 1.618 »

Thanks for the replies, tried that link and a few others, tried a few things and nothing seemed to make a difference but after a reboot all my thumbnails are showing correctly so something must have worked.

Return to “Beginner Questions”