Linux Mint 15 Fan Control Speed Problem/Heat Problems SOLVED

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
james0658

Linux Mint 15 Fan Control Speed Problem/Heat Problems SOLVED

Post by james0658 »

Hello fellow Linux Mint Community. (My problems are solved for me anyway. Hope this helps) :D

Apparently all Distros Have been plagued with overheating and fan speeds out of control. I'm a Linux Mint/Ubuntu user for 3 years now. This is what I did. I have a Dell 15r Inspiron Intel Sandybridge mobile laptop(AMD/ATI graphics). I found a few things to keep things under control. First off I like to say that Mint 15 comes with a good GUI driver program that works very well. I then installed lm-sensors and ran this in terminal

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
I then installed TLP to control Temps http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/improve- ... fe-in.html. Worked great noticed a change of about 3-6 degrees C. I then found that my fan speed was out of control, so I searched forever and finally found a linkhttp://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost9197545 (Look for "AHIMAS" response) that actually helped this problem a bit, I tested it from normal load to running a facebook game which is a higher load. I went from 51 to 72C(which is normal for this cpu). The fan cranked up when the temp went up, the fan slowed when the temp cooled, which for my cpu is around 51-57 degrees C(normal load). The fan then slowed down when going below 57 C.

I must say Mint 14 ran at idle at about 64C which is not normal, and ran at 88c+ when playing the same FB game. Critical for this CPU is around 100 C. I followed all these intructions and my laptop runs quite cool and the fan isn't ready to fly out of it's casing when idling.

One last gripe I found when I installed Mint 15 the touchpad was a bit laggy, and just annoying, after reading on how to control the touchpad, being the great code writer that ever lived NOT :wink:, I found that if you install "SYNAPTIKS" from the software manager it will control all of your touchpad settings a lot better than default that is installed. It's based on KDE. Now when you go to panel and search for it just click on the SYNAPTIKS "COG" and it will go to your PANEL it's not really a program that actually pops up on screen. Once you see the new icon in your panel just right click and go to Configure SYNAPTIKS. I'd say play around untill you find what is comfortable for you.

That's it, that's all I have to say about Mint 15, overall a great OS, some tweaks but not bad at all. Hope this helps for MINT 15 users :D

:idea: REMEMBER ALWAYS BACKUP BEFORE YOU PROGRAM PLEASE :!:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
patrickanthony

Re: Linux Mint 15 Fan Control Speed Problem/Heat Problems SO

Post by patrickanthony »

Thanks for the link to that post. Ashimas response worked perfectly! Incase that link ever becomes inaccessible

First sudo apt-get install lmsensors sensors-applet sensors-detect

and then sudo vi /etc/default/grub
and change the following:

GRUB_CMLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to read

..."quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux"

next. sudo update-grub to update /boot/grub/grub.cfg

then restart the computer.

This fixed my fan problem it was running at 100% all the time it was actually louder than my air conditioning unit...

Return to “Beginner Questions”