.dmrc ignored

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

.dmrc ignored

Post by donec »

When I boot up I get a message saying user $home .dmrc ignored. What can I do about this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: .dmrc ignored

Post by 67GTA »

The permissions in your /home folder has changed. Have you done anything recently to change it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Oh I'd be willing to bet you changed permissions on either your home folder, or a sub-folder of it. I had this issue once, and the fix wasn't pretty. I had to delete the user, and delete the user's home folder. I then had to re-create the user again after words. This was a pain in the rear end as it was my main user 1000. The lesson I learned from this was never ever modify home folder permissions other than the data folders like music or documents.

Also I should state that I certainly tried to repair the damage first. I fixed the permissions on the .dmrc file the computer was referencing. It just didn't work.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Find the .dmrc file in your home folder, open it and check the contents, it should say "Session=Gnome" (depending on what version your running!), if it says anything else, change it.
...another option is to delete it, and the system will create a new one on your next login.
I first got this error after installing The main edition after KDE with the /home being intact from the former install.
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Zwopper wrote:another option is to delete it, and the system will create a new one on your next login.
Damn really? I wish I would have known that back when I had the same problem. While my solution worked it was a hell of a lot more complicated. I can't believe all I had to do was delete the file, lol.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

67GTA wrote:The permissions in your /home folder has changed. Have you done anything recently to change it?
Not that I know of.
Don
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Lantesh wrote:Oh I'd be willing to bet you changed permissions on either your home folder, or a sub-folder of it. I had this issue once, and the fix wasn't pretty. I had to delete the user, and delete the user's home folder. I then had to re-create the user again after words. This was a pain in the rear end as it was my main user 1000. The lesson I learned from this was never ever modify home folder permissions other than the data folders like music or documents.

Also I should state that I certainly tried to repair the damage first. I fixed the permissions on the .dmrc file the computer was referencing. It just didn't work.
I already tried changing the permissions on the .dmrc file with no help. It looks like there may be an easier way than yours so I'll try them first. :D
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Zwopper wrote:Find the .dmrc file in your home folder, open it and check the contents, it should say "Session=Gnome" (depending on what version your running!), if it says anything else, change it.
...another option is to delete it, and the system will create a new one on your next login.
I first got this error after installing The main edition after KDE with the /home being intact from the former install.
I'll try changing Session=default to Session=Gnome and see if that helps then I'll delete it.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I tried changing the contents no help. I tried deleting it and it did not make a new one. So I am creating one and we'll see.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Post the output of

Code: Select all

ls -l .dmrc
from a terminal.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

I had this problem in Ububtu and I fixed it w/this command:

chmod 700 /home/<yourusername>
chmod 644 /home/<yourusername>/.dmrc
reboot now
good luck!
darco
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

darco wrote:I had this problem in Ububtu and I fixed it w/this command:

chmod 700 /home/<yourusername>
chmod 644 /home/<yourusername>/.dmrc
reboot now
good luck!
darco
Thanks darco, that fixed it. And thanks to everyone that tried to help. You guys are great.
Don
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Return to “Beginner Questions”