Frugal Install with unetbootin - problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
android

Frugal Install with unetbootin - problems

Post by android »

I want to dual boot Windows 8 and Linux Mint. I shrinked the volume of the current (main) hard drive Windows 8 is installed to, allocating 100gb partition for Linux Mint. Used UNetBootin to boot into Linux Mint off of the hard drive without a usb or dvd. Worked fine, but trying to install is the hard part.

Trying to run the Linux Mint Install would give me an error message when it would say, "There is no root file system defined." Fixed that by manually partitioning /, /home, /swap, and /boot. Then, after trying to run the installer again, it would say something like, "/cdrom: device is busy." So, I tried unmounting it using GParted, then terminal, and finally was able to force unmount it by running, "sudo fuser /dev/sda2" (partition /cdrom is located on). I had to force kill the process id using, "sudo kill -9 <number here>"

Once the /cdrom partition was unmounted, I wasn't able to mount the root partition for installing to. An exclamation point in GParted listed under the /cdrom partition that unmounting can cause certain functions to not perform. Also, whenever I would try mounting or unmounting partition in the Linux Mint Installer, I would get a weird error that I wouldn't be able to close out of until I booted back up the Live Linux Mint.

The error message was this: "ubi-partmain failed with exit code 141." I know it's possible to install, but what is the solution?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Frugal Install with unetbootin - problems

Post by viking777 »

I tried this once - came to the conclusion it is impossible.

Somebody is bound to pop up now and tell me it isn't impossible - so maybe they will answer your question.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

viking777 wrote:I tried this once - came to the conclusion it is impossible.

Somebody is bound to pop up now and tell me it isn't impossible - so maybe they will answer your question.

Yeah viking777, i think you remember me.. perhaps :lol:

Well,
yes, it is possible to do so.
many did it and post somewhere in several forums

for me I do not like to deal with very lenghty procedure.
so i just follow unetbootin's procedure of hard disk frugal install, once that is working, the iso will be bootable via your boot loader controlling MBR , as far as unetbootin procedure in their link, it said 'windows, grub legacy, grub2'.

for me, since i usually use grub legacy to control MBR, i try their procedure and it works.
in fact, just to be sure before i post this, I use the same procedure in unetbootin website and just completed two installation from iso...

i think i might just try also with grub2 controlling MBR to see if it works on my system.
then follow by using win7 control MBR to see if I can make it work..

when it works, it save us a few steps for preparing USB flash , which is good!

stay tune..

edit:
i create new post here on similar topic
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

my experiments are all in msdos/MBR format, not uefi, not GPT, not RAID, not dynamic volumn...
but some possible issue with the OP: Win8, uefi/GPT / partition etc..
android

Post by android »

viking777 wrote:I tried this once - came to the conclusion it is impossible.

Yeah, it was so frustrating.
wayne128 wrote:Yeah viking777, i think you remember me.. perhaps :lol:

Well,
yes, it is possible to do so.
many did it and post somewhere in several forums

for me I do not like to deal with very lenghty procedure.
so i just follow unetbootin's procedure of hard disk frugal install, once that is working, the iso will be bootable via your boot loader controlling MBR , as far as unetbootin procedure in their link, it said 'windows, grub legacy, grub2'.

for me, since i usually use grub legacy to control MBR, i try their procedure and it works.
in fact, just to be sure before i post this, I use the same procedure in unetbootin website and just completed two installation from iso...

i think i might just try also with grub2 controlling MBR to see if it works on my system.
then follow by using win7 control MBR to see if I can make it work..

when it works, it save us a few steps for preparing USB flash , which is good!

stay tune..

edit:
i create new post here on similar topic
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122187

my experiments are all in msdos/MBR format, not uefi, not GPT, not RAID, not dynamic volumn...
but some possible issue with the OP: Win8, uefi/GPT / partition etc..
Windows 8 is set for MBR; I'm not sure if the UEFI on Windows 8 is causing problems, and running RAID. I'll try out the directions on their site, thank you!
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

A look at your fdisk and parted data and all seems OK.

Your might be affected by the bug
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/found ... 68831.html

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/945027

I do not have experience with this bug, may be you google more to see other works around.

Here is what I would do if that happen to my installation, just use the 'standard linux partitioner'.
assuming your ISO download is good and md5sum are checked to be good, then, go to partedmagic, download a latest iso, use the same method , run unetbootin , select Hard disk and path to partedmagic, reboot to select UNetbootin line, partedmagic should run, run gparted, redo your partition, give a different size for /, says 50G, format to ext4 , and a swap partition.
when gparted complete the new partitioning of your hard disk, reboot and repeat your process of frugal + full install

good luck.
android

Post by android »

wayne128 wrote:A look at your fdisk and parted data and all seems OK.

Your might be affected by the bug
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/found ... 68831.html

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/945027

I do not have experience with this bug, may be you google more to see other works around.

Here is what I would do if that happen to my installation, just use the 'standard linux partitioner'.
assuming your ISO download is good and md5sum are checked to be good, then, go to partedmagic, download a latest iso, use the same method , run unetbootin , select Hard disk and path to partedmagic, reboot to select UNetbootin line, partedmagic should run, run gparted, redo your partition, give a different size for /, says 50G, format to ext4 , and a swap partition.
when gparted complete the new partitioning of your hard disk, reboot and repeat your process of frugal + full install

good luck.
Ok, I'll report back after trying this. Thank you for taking the time to analyze my issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”