"no object for d-bus interface"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fmmsf

Post by fmmsf »

Hey guys!
Just installed Mint14 on a 500GB drive. After some GRUB problems I am pleased to say everything is working fine :-)

Everything but for a small detail. The hdd where mint is installed is divided into 4 partitions: two where windows8 is installed (one is/was) and another for the boot (I guess) and the other two are the ext3 and the swap for Mint. The thing is, my data is all on the windows partition that I had planned on using as a document partition after installing Mint, and I can't acces it.

Nautilus returns the following message after I try opening the windows ntfs partition:

Can you guys give me help here on what's wrong?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
captain_curly

Re: "no object for d-bus interface"

Post by captain_curly »

I had the same problem after installing Nadia yesterday. I was unable to mount internal drives, unable to dismount external drives and GParted did not work.

Decided to figure out the GParted problem first, and after reading this bugreport https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1029149, and doing what it said, I got rid of both the D-bus interface stuff and got GParted to work.
A short summary of the bug report: do you have a floppy drive on your system? If not, check to see if floppy drive is disabled in BIOS. If it isn't, disable it.
This fixed the problem for me.

Somewhere, something must have gone horribly wrong in Ubuntu 12.10, because this error is quite an annoying one, and shouldn't be happening as it's never happened before.
kevanf1

Post by kevanf1 »

Very odd this. I've just installed Mint 16 Cinnamon on a laptop. I had it on this very laptop previously but the HDD died on me :( So, another 500gb HDD and a reinstall. I have Win 7, a swap, Mint 16 and another 300gb partition that is formatted as ntfs in order to be able to access files in both Linux and Windows. But... I know find I have this 'Unable to mount location No object for D-Bus interface' error message!!!! I'll look at previous solutions but why is this happening? It shouldn't at this stage of Mint's life :(
kevanf1

Post by kevanf1 »

Meanwhile, after a reboot I can access that errant ntfs formatted partition!!!! Madness. I am very relieved of course but still puzzled and a little angry. This could so easily put some people off from using Linux. Not me, I'm sticking with Mint. I do have Windows as a dual boot but only so that I can use Nokia software and Tom Tom sat nav software that is simply not available unde Linux. Yet :wink:

Return to “Beginner Questions”