Numlock wanted ON by default

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
selukwe

Numlock wanted ON by default

Post by selukwe »

I noticed that my LM13KDE does not activate numlock though my BIOS is set accordingly and Windows OS has it also on. It´s a pity there is no GUI option in my LM settings for this. How this could be done to activate numlock automatically on LM startup? Perhaps some add-on program could do that...?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
selukwe

Re: Numlock wanted ON by default

Post by selukwe »

Maybe this works on Ubuntu (it seems to be written for it) but it doesn't on LM13KDE.I'm getting error gedit: not found...
Any other idea? Possibly even a small prog doing this?
nomko

Post by nomko »

selukwe wrote:Maybe this works on Ubuntu (it seems to be written for it) but it doesn't on LM13KDE.I'm getting error gedit: not found...
Any other idea? Possibly even a small prog doing this?
Yes i've the problem. And you're right! It doesn't work with KDE.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

selukwe wrote:I'm getting error gedit: not found...
That's because you're using KDE. gedit is the GNOME text editor. Substitute the name of the KDE text editor. Sorry, I'm not a KDE user so I don't know what it's called. kate?
selukwe

Post by selukwe »

Still doesn't work, I'm getting errors and saving is refused. Could perhaps someone experienced try this in LM-KDE, I'm a Linux beginner...:-)
nomko

Post by nomko »

selukwe wrote:Still doesn't work, I'm getting errors and saving is refused.
Could perhaps someone experienced try this in LM-KDE
Most of us are all experienced users. I have over 5 years of experience, but just worked with Gnome only. Sometimes a solution works with KDE and with Gnome. Sometimes it doesn't, just like now. But that is not a reason for you to ask for a "experienced user" like you got help from unexperienced people.
, I'm a Linux beginner...:-)
So was i. But with searching the internet and searching forums i learned a lot. You could try the same.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Go to -> System Settings -> Hardware -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Numlock on KDE Startup -> Turn On.

Hope this helped.
selukwe

Post by selukwe »

This is it, superb! Many thanks, this works perfectly...:-)
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Hi all,

Im running Mate 13 and have followed the instruction in the link below and found the relevant file, but am still very green and am not sure how to edit and save the file. Could someone tell me how to? Thanks
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
nomko

Post by nomko »

marsh20 wrote:Hi all,

Im running Mate 13 and have followed the instruction in the link below and found the relevant file, but am still very green and am not sure how to edit and save the file. Could someone tell me how to? Thanks
Which link below do you mean?
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Nomko,

Sorry, above from the second post.
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
A Future Pilot

Post by A Future Pilot »

Running that command should open up a file in the gedit text editor. Simply make the changes it says and then either hit Ctrl+s or click on File->Save. Then close the text editor.
nomko

Post by nomko »

A Future Pilot wrote:Running that command should open up a file in the gedit text editor. Simply make the changes it says and then either hit Ctrl+s or click on File->Save. Then close the text editor.
That's right. Just follow the steps provided on that website and it will work.
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

A little [bump], if I may.
I experienced - just now - that "gdm" in that link has to be "mdm". After adding those lines in my "Default" file, Numlock is now switched on - just the way I like it (since I have numbers in my login password).

Running Mint 13 "Mate", here.

nomko,
thank you very much for providing that link.
johnglid

Post by johnglid »

Is there an equivalent procedure for LM 13 KDE?
selukwe

Post by selukwe »

I don't understand why still bother with scripts in this case, when there's an easy GUI solution advised by Jaws on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm (see above), reading - I quote:

Go to -> System Settings -> Hardware -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Numlock on KDE Startup -> Turn On.

This is a solution specifically for KDE. Works a treat...
johnglid

Post by johnglid »

selukwe wrote:I don't understand why still bother with scripts in this case, when there's an easy GUI solution advised by Jaws on Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:25 pm (see above), reading - I quote:

This is a solution specifically for KDE. Works a treat...
That works fine after you log in but doesn't turn Numlock on for the login screen so you can enter numbers as part of the password.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Don't want to sound like a jerk and you can login any way you like, but if your password contains both letters and numbers, isn't it easier to use the keyboard number keys instead of the number pad keys?

Alternatively, you could use the convenience feature Enable Auto-Login in System Settings.
johnglid

Re:Numlock wanted ON by default

Post by johnglid »

Jaws wrote:Don't want to sound like a jerk and you can login any way you like, but if your password contains both letters and numbers, isn't it easier to use the keyboard number keys instead of the number pad keys?

Alternatively, you could use the convenience feature Enable Auto-Login in System Settings.
That's O.K. Found the solution here "http://nancib.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/ ... de-starts/"... Informative article.
Last edited by johnglid on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”