[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSeries

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

I've been using the newer version of Cinnamon for most of this evening. I experienced one freeze, with firefox which I never had before. My tests with LibreOffice were positive though. I am happy enough to keep this computer set up with Cinnamon pre 1.5 now (1.4UP3 or whatever)
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

MSeries wrote:I've been using the newer version of Cinnamon for most of this evening. I experienced one freeze, with firefox which I never had before. My tests with LibreOffice were positive though. I am happy enough to keep this computer set up with Cinnamon pre 1.5 now (1.4UP3 or whatever)
MSeries: could you explain what have you done step by step?

Best,
DM
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

ddaniel wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: I intend to install this "missing" muffin package but not until I get some confirmation as to whether others are seeing this or not. Cinnamon and muffin are untouched on my LM 13/Cinnamon install and this missing muffin makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
I can confirm that muffin package is not installed on my system. Although cinnamon is up and running.
According to Clem, it's not "muffin" but "libmuffin" which is installed. Muffin is like lbmuffin but with few features and is only used for testing purposes really. I'll have to update my original post.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Glebtv

Post by Glebtv »

X Freezed for me when typing and scrolling Writer window at the same time for 2-3 min.
Freezes on 2pc with intel graphics. Mouse moves. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE does work, after hitting it X segfaults (Oo ?)

Logs: nothing when freezes (Xorg, syslog)
apt-get upgrade: still freezes
Disable Java in Writer options: still freezes
Sun java: still freezes
Gnome classic no effects: does not freeze
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

starbreaker wrote:Installing Java didn't do anything for me, but after that I installed LightDM and so far I am unable to freeze the system deliberately using the table method with Writer. Will report back if anything changes.
For some reason, after installing LightDM it has been even more unstable. Not even Ctrl+Alt+Backspace worked.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Tested LibreOffice Writer in LinuxMint Maya 32-bit Gnome-shell = no freezes.
Also tested Calibre which worked fine.
Radiotray works but without the volume adjustment via the mouse scroll wheel.
The opening sounds associated with MDM work occasionally.

Installed LinuxMint Debian Edition version 201204, 64-bit Cinnamon.
No freezes, Calibre and Radiotray worked perfectly.
Sounds in MDM worked at all times.
All Java programs work fine.
Everything works perfectly. :D
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

Here the result after 24 hours of testing the compiled Cinammon from Git : not one single freeze after several : reboots, launching/relaunching Jdownloader, Libreoffice... (on LM 13 32bits Cinnamon/Nvidia drivers).

Only one oddity : cinammon killed itself when i clicked on the menu (after installing gparted) and restarted but it preserved all the running applications.
For what it's worth here is the log :

Jun 13 11:16:07 Mymachine kernel: [43463.323064] cinnamon[2024]: segfault at 992db ip 00f423bb sp bfd99c90 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3200.1[ee1000+f7000]
Jun 13 11:16:08 Mymachine gnome-session[1750]: WARNING: Application 'cinnamon.desktop' killed by signal
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

donmatas wrote:
MSeries wrote:I've been using the newer version of Cinnamon for most of this evening. I experienced one freeze, with firefox which I never had before. My tests with LibreOffice were positive though. I am happy enough to keep this computer set up with Cinnamon pre 1.5 now (1.4UP3 or whatever)
MSeries: could you explain what have you done step by step?

Best,
DM
Do you mean in terms of the new Cinnamon version or my complete computer build (including Cinnamon) ? For the former I followed the tutorial that Clem linked to upthread and incorporated the amendments another user highlighted.

I can give an overview of my build but don't think it's relevant to the freezes solution. I am using Sun JDK1.6.0_24 and Nvidia proprietary graphics driver from the distro. There are a couple of things not quite right but not showstoppers.

If I get the time and inclination I'll install from scratch and add the new Cinnamon straight away to test it.
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

Which version of Cinnamon are you compiling from git?
Stable or Master?
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

esteban1uy wrote:Which version of Cinnamon are you compiling from git?
Stable or Master?

Master.

I just followed Clem's instructions from the top->down.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

MSeries wrote: Do you mean in terms of the new Cinnamon version or my complete computer build (including Cinnamon) ? For the former I followed the tutorial that Clem linked to upthread and incorporated the amendments another user highlighted.

I can give an overview of my build but don't think it's relevant to the freezes solution. I am using Sun JDK1.6.0_24 and Nvidia proprietary graphics driver from the distro. There are a couple of things not quite right but not showstoppers.

If I get the time and inclination I'll install from scratch and add the new Cinnamon straight away to test it.
Thanks. It seems to much for me. I will wait for an official solution. Untill then I will be working with ugly MATE

DM
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

donmatas wrote:
MSeries wrote: Do you mean in terms of the new Cinnamon version or my complete computer build (including Cinnamon) ? For the former I followed the tutorial that Clem linked to upthread and incorporated the amendments another user highlighted.

Thanks. It seems to much for me. I will wait for an official solution. Untill then I will be working with ugly MATE

DM
I can understand your POV - I support computer systems for living, break:fix is a way of life :x .

I can make my debs available if you want but I believe there is an unsatisfied dependency in them so you'll still need to go through the first part of the process by getting the build packages. Also as Clem pointed out they may contain references to my Nvidia drivers and I wouldn't know how to check this. [I managed to trash my graphics so had to restore from a backup, redo the whole Cinnamon procedure. I tried to just install from my new debs but it failed, I had to re get the packages then install my debs]
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

MSeries wrote:
donmatas wrote:

DM
I can understand your POV - I support computer systems for living, break:fix is a way of life :x .

I can make my debs available if you want but I believe there is an unsatisfied dependency in them so you'll still need to go through the first part of the process by getting the build packages. Also as Clem pointed out they may contain references to my Nvidia drivers and I wouldn't know how to check this. [I managed to trash my graphics so had to restore from a backup, redo the whole Cinnamon procedure. I tried to just install from my new debs but it failed, I had to re get the packages then install my debs]
Thank you very much for your concern. I will wait.

Best,
DM
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

3 freezes first thing this morning using libre office. Just for kicks I installed apache open office, got the same freezes.
Bit the bullet, booted into mate, got my spreadsheet work done, spent the rest of the time making mate look somewhat attractive so I can continue working.
Have kept all spreadsheets that would "cinnamon" freeze open and periodically go back to them to do some heavy scrolling, editing etc...
It's been 7.5 hours with no freezing using mate.
Also have kept chromium and firefox running at all times.

Inspiron 1525N. Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
jimakt

Post by jimakt »

clem wrote
Hi,

You guys are doing great at troubleshooting this. The cause of the problem isn't precise enough for us to fix anything yet, but we're working on Cinnamon at the moment and we might have some good news. Although the latest Cinnamon (pre-1.5) isn't ready to be packaged and released into Mint, it already is working and it features many of the changes from Gnome Shell 3.4.

I'm not suggesting you all go and compile it, but maybe some of you can do it and provide debs to others, or at the very least give it a try and see if it fixes things. I wrote a quick tutorial to show how to compile the latest muffin/cinnamon in Linux Mint 13: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955

At the moment if you compile muffin and cinnamon from their "master" branch (i.e. if you follow the tutorial without specifying any branch) you'll end up with a muffin pre-1.0.4 (which calls itself 1.0.4) and a cinnamon pre-1.5 (which calls itself 1.4-UP3).
i cant't compile cinnamon. I get this error:

Code: Select all

dh_perl -pcinnamon 
dh_shlibdeps -pcinnamon  -l :/usr/lib/gnome-bluetooth  
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 (used by debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/libcinnamon.so).
dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/cinnamon.substvars debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/cinnamon-hotplug-sniffer debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/libcinnamon.so debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/cinnamon-perf-helper debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/cinnamon/cinnamon-calendar-server debian/cinnamon/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libcinnamon-browser-plugin.so debian/cinnamon/usr/bin/cinnamon returned exit code 2
make: *** [binary-predeb-IMPL/cinnamon] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

donmatas wrote:
Thanks. It seems to much for me. I will wait for an official solution. Until then I will be working with ugly MATE
I am beginning to feel like a ghost. That comment and another a few places below it, indicates that users are still under the impression that this bug excludes Mate. For the many'th time, I am using Mate and have nearly identical problems. While this thread does seem pious to Cinnamon alone, Mate is also in the scrolls. I see from Clem's poll that Cinnamon is the highest rated DM/WM, so I kind of understand this tendency. But Mate is neither "ugly" or excluded from this bug. Mate is, in (subjective) fact, so to the contrary ("ugly"), that I am sticking with Mint because of it (not the bug).

*MSeries, please pardon my former quotation error
Last edited by Penurious Penguin on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just out of curiosity: Is it possible to install the updated Cinnamon desktop to Mint 12 and do you still get the problems?
kannantvm

Post by kannantvm »

Tested Clem's method of installing Cinnamon 1.4UP3. I thought My Libreoffice freezing problem is now solved..Unfortunately, NO...Occasional freeze still persists. May be it is my mistake. I couldnt get the deb file without errors. There were quite a few errors and warnings.
Last edited by kannantvm on Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSeries

Post by MSeries »

Penurious Penguin wrote:
MSeries wrote:
Thanks. It seems to much for me. I will wait for an official solution. Until then I will be working with ugly MATE
I am beginning to feel like a ghost. That comment and another a few places below it, indicates that users are still under the impression that this bug excludes Mate. For the many'th time, I am using Mate and have nearly identical problems. While this thread does seem pious to Cinnamon alone, Mate is also in the scrolls. I see from Clem's poll that Cinnamon is the highest rated DM/WM, so I kind of understand this tendency. But Mate is neither "ugly" or excluded from this bug. Mate is, in (subjective) fact, so to the contrary ("ugly"), that I am sticking with Mint because of it (not the bug).
Can you edit your post, you have messed the quotes up, *I* did not say that.
neologist

Post by neologist »

I tried Clem's solution, but it didn't go well. I compiled Cinnamon from git ("master", not "stable") and everything was fine - with no freezes - until the next update notification*. The only package to be updated was precisely Cinnamon, and in the next session after the update there was no inferior panel nor window manager, although I was able to login into a Cinnamon session. I tried everything, but the only way to solve the problem was to purge Cinnamon and Muffin (only removing wouldn't solve it) and get the older versions of them from the repositories.

Where did I go wrong? Should I compile the stable version?

*I restarted the session and Cinnamon as well several times. The trouble came only with the update.

Return to “Beginner Questions”