[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ShyGuy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by ShyGuy »

I applied the updates and have been running Mint 13 Cinnamon for a few days now and no system freezing! Thanks to all who solved this issue.

Unfortunately, I ran into another show stopper issue where the system randomly logs me out, losing all open windows. Apparently this an ongoing bug with Ubuntu. sigh... I'll go ask in the thread about it. :(

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/778490
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kmb42vt wrote:I'm ready and waiting. :D
@kmb42vt: I pm'ed you some "hard candy" for you to break.

@everyone: For those who installed cinnamon from lebihan's cinnamon-nightly or cinnamon-stable ppa, remenber that you can always revert to the current "regular" packages (fix included) using ppa-purge with this little trick:

First, install ppa-purge:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
Then edit ppa-purge this way:

gksu gedit /usr/sbin/ppa-purge
Go to line 99 and change "oneiric" to "maya", save and execute this command (for cinnamon-nightly):

sudo ppa-purge ppa:gwendal-levihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly
or this for cinnamon-stable:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:gwendal-levihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
Then logout and login for the changes to be effective.
steinkaare

Post by steinkaare »

Hi guys, as you can see here im new. I am also quite new to linux mint. I've had cinnamon for a few weeks now. I have previously use ubuntu 10.04, so i am not completly new to linux.
Linux mint worked decent up until a few days ago, but after an update my system started crashing every five minutes being fixable only by restarting x. The only program that seems to run fine is firefox, everything else will freeze the system immidiately. I have tried following the advice given by clem, but I can only get to "apt build-dep muffin" before I get a message I am currently not able to open because the terminal won't open (solved by ctrl+alt+t, since the mouse is going bananas left clicking and right clicking randomly and generally being unresponsive). Anyway the error message I get is "build dependencies for muffin could not be satisfied" (unable to copy paste) Anyway i think I have to make a post now before the computer cHi guys, as you can see here im new. I am also quite new to linux mint. I've had cinnamon for a few weeks now. I have previously use ubuntu 10.04, so i am not completly new to linux.
Linux mint worked decent up until a few days ago, but after an update my system started crashing every five minutes being fixable only by restarting x. The only program that seems to run fine is firefox, everything else will freeze the system immidiately. I have tried following the advice given by clem, but I can only get to "apt build-dep muffin" before I get a message I am currently not able to open because the terminal won't open (solved by ctrl+alt+t, since the mouse is going bananas left clicking and right clicking randomly and generally being unresponsive). Anyway the error message I get is "build dependencies for muffin could not be satisfied" (unable to copy paste) Anyway i think I have to make a post now before the computer crashes.
steinkaare

Post by steinkaare »

steinkaare wrote:Hi guys, as you can see here im new. I am also quite new to linux mint. I've had cinnamon for a few weeks now. I have previously use ubuntu 10.04, so i am not completly new to linux.
Linux mint worked decent up until a few days ago, but after an update my system started crashing every five minutes being fixable only by restarting x. The only program that seems to run fine is firefox, everything else will freeze the system immidiately. I have tried following the advice given by clem, but I can only get to "apt build-dep muffin" before I get a message I am currently not able to open because the terminal won't open (solved by ctrl+alt+t, since the mouse is going bananas left clicking and right clicking randomly and generally being unresponsive). Anyway the error message I get is "build dependencies for muffin could not be satisfied" (unable to copy paste) Anyway i think I have to make a post now before the computer cHi guys, as you can see here im new. I am also quite new to linux mint. I've had cinnamon for a few weeks now. I have previously use ubuntu 10.04, so i am not completly new to linux.
Linux mint worked decent up until a few days ago, but after an update my system started crashing every five minutes being fixable only by restarting x. The only program that seems to run fine is firefox, everything else will freeze the system immidiately. I have tried following the advice given by clem, but I can only get to "apt build-dep muffin" before I get a message I am currently not able to open because the terminal won't open (solved by ctrl+alt+t, since the mouse is going bananas left clicking and right clicking randomly and generally being unresponsive). Anyway the error message I get is "build dependencies for muffin could not be satisfied" (unable to copy paste) Anyway i think I have to make a post now before the computer crashes.
The system seems to be running more smoothly now thanks to this post

"the easiest (IMO) way of using the latest stable Cinnamon without having to install .deb files or anything is this:

Add the Cinnamon Stable PPA to your system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-stable
sudo apt-get update

Then give it a higher pin priority so that apt will choose the PPA instead of the Mint repos by adding the following lines to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: *
Pin: origin ppa.launchpad.net
Pin-Priority: 700

Then run mint update and logout and you should have the latest stable cinnamon build."
It did not have an immediate effect, but after I changed the driver for the graphics card, it seemed to work a lot better. I still seem to have trouble with x restarting and ending the session, but it has not crashed thus far
Bleak

Post by Bleak »

Hi, I'm totally new to Linux so a lot of this thread is incomprehensible to me, but i think I am having the same problem. I had made a post here about it:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=110036

Can anyone point me to a step by step fix for super newbie Linux users? Or explain to me what I need to do?
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Bleak wrote:Hi, I'm totally new to Linux so a lot of this thread is incomprehensible to me, but i think I am having the same problem. I had made a post here about it:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=110036

Can anyone point me to a step by step fix for super newbie Linux users? Or explain to me what I need to do?
At this point, the fix is in the standard mint repositories. If my understanding is correct, all you have to do is update your system using mint update - just click the little shield icon in your system tray (task bar right), type your password, and install any available updates... that should do it... :D
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
sml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sml »

are you sure this is resolved?

i just installed cinnamon 13 and installed all the updates and had a freeze-up with an ivy bridge and HM77 motherboard.

reading some ubuntu threads, i think the issue is kernel related. i think i'll move to 12.10 alpha with 3.5 kernel. been running it on my desktop and it is stable.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This issue is found in the source code of Cinnamon, it is reproducible, and has been fixed and tested to confirm the fix. If you have installed all updates, you will be using the fixed version of Cinnamon.

If you have similar symptoms, the root cause is something else. If you want support with that, please make a new topic on that. The HM77 chipset is just a few months old, it may need further fixes in the kernel which the alpha of 12.10 can give you. A newer kernel can of course also be installed on Linux Mint 13 easily.

Locking this topic.

Return to “Beginner Questions”