[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hellkiller

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by hellkiller »

I have uninstalled openjdk and install oracle java 7, but still have freezes...
Garvan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Garvan »

hellkiller wrote:I have uninstalled openjdk and install oracle java 7, but still have freezes...
Does it freeze using LibreOffice or with other programs.
Notebook: DELL Latitude E5520, i5-2520M @ 2.50 GHz, 4GB RAM, Linux Mint 17.2 (2011)
Notebook: DELL Latitude 5280, i5-73000 @ 2.7 GHz., 16 GB RAM, Linux Mint 19.2 (2019)
hellkiller

Post by hellkiller »

Garvan wrote:Does it freeze using LibreOffice or with other programs.
No matter what program I'm using. Sometimes it freezes more often than other. It's annoying issue...
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Hi all

I installed LM13 Cinnamon 32 from DVD after release. Soon had the "freeze" and GKrellM indicated that soffice.bin was holding CPU @ full throttle. I was able to open LO writer from Quickstarter and activity returned to normal. At Tools>Options>Java I let the Java version get detected and registered, then OK. Have not had a problem since. It has always been SOP when changing/updating Java versions to do this detection/registration process.

Pat
canadianwriterman

Post by canadianwriterman »

I installed Mint 13 Cinnamon last night. The desktop immediately froze when using update manager, before I used any other program.
thearc77

Post by thearc77 »

Is a pitty, i think this was a nic solution.

The freeze is related to Gnome 3.4.x, Xorg or Java, in Mint 12 with the last Cinnamon iteration for Gnome 3.2.x there is no issue with this.

Still my 4 boxs with Mint 13 (Netbook Samsung N150plus with Intel Graph, Intel Pentium Dual Core with Intel Graphics, Core I3 with Intel Graphics and AMD Atlhon 3500 with Nvidia 8600GT) run flawless since installation of Java 1.6_0.3x (actually all are running .33-b03) and don't test Java 7 plataform.

Sorry for not bring a real one.

Edit:

Anyone have tryed the Cinnamon Unstable PPA to test some new version?

https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan- ... on-nightly
EddieW

Post by EddieW »

I took the time the other day to record, step by step, what I was doing while running Mint 13 Cinnamon on my laptop. I usually do the same types of jobs on my Mint 9 laptop without any problems at all. Cinnamon doesn;t seem stable to me ... not what I"m used to.

I'm attaching my log and system specs to this post if anyone's interested.
Sample Session using Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 2.pdf
gcp420

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by gcp420 »

Hi,
On my 1st post on this forum, I also have the similar prob. I was a mint user since more than a year. I used mint 9 on my Dell Laptop. I recently bought a new Lenovo ThinkPad L520 and was trying for a newer mint on it. But after studying carefully the pros & cons I stepped back to mint 10 Julia, downloaded & installed. I was thinking I was OK with the whole thing untill I discovered the system freezes to only mouse moves and absolute nothing else whenever I start any audio or video playback. Nothing to say of VLC, rythymbox, GNOME player or anything, the momoent I start it, the system freezes. No Alt+Fx, no response to ctrl+alt+backspace, no response to ctrl+alt+del nothing. I have to do a hard reset.

Even though it is not a mint 13 cinnamon freeze, I thought to post it here.

I found in the logger it says it may be bug in the alsa

Jun 25 13:22:17 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1734]: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
Jun 25 13:22:17 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1734]: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="29" name="platform-thinkpad_acpi" card_name="alsa_card.platform-thinkpad_acpi" tsched=yes ignore_dB=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.
Jun 25 13:22:32 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: module-alsa-card.c: Failed to find a working profile.
Jun 25 13:22:32 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-card" (argument: "device_id="29" name="platform-thinkpad_acpi" card_name="alsa_card.platform-thinkpad_acpi" tsched=yes ignore_dB=no card_properties="module-udev-detect.discovered=1""): initialization failed.
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_avail_delay() returned strange values: delay 0 is less than avail 40.
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_dump():
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: Soft volume PCM
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: Control: PCM Playback Volume
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: min_dB: -51
Jun 25 13:22:34 ganga-ThinkPad-L520 pulseaudio[1918]: alsa-util.c: max_dB: 0
If this is the one contributing to all the problems, may be this can fix all freezes all across the mints. Hope so

gcp
BeatSmith

Post by BeatSmith »

Late reply I know, anyway, compiling the Master branch of Cinnamon worked for me. No freezes anymore. However, there're some bugs with some themes and switching workspaces. If someone knew where can I report them -if needed-, I'll be happy to comply :).
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi BeatSmith,

No need. Themes are made for 1.4 still... 1.5 wasn't released yet so only the default theme is up to date with the git version of Cinnamon.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

When is CInnamon 1.5 gonna be released?
leithes

Post by leithes »

I have found the perfect solution to a stable Mint 13 Cinnamon. It has the strange name, "recovery mode". Since running under this profile I have not had a single crash. The downside is the graphics are a little on the poor side.

Is it just me or has Mint gone a little Microsoft on this one? We all seem to be the happy band of play-testers here, but nobody told us.

More seriously, the last Mint version I was using was 10, which was sweet and stable. I have not used 11 but is it as good/better than 10? If so I may well "downgrade-upgrade" to that.

It is freezing out here.
ias

Post by ias »

Hi, I'm using cinnamon 1.4 (well, on ubuntu 12.04...) and I too experiencing the nasty (and random) freezes (up to 3 times at day). The freeze's probability are greater when using jdowloader, openoffice or evince, but potentially can happens in any moment. During the freeze, the system continue to run, i can hear qmmp playing music, the audio of a movie displayed by vlc, but still images... I can change to the character console (ctrl+alt+1) and if I shutdown cinnamon, the session login appears and I can start another cinnamon session until the next freeze happens... I really love cinnamon (imho, is the only usable graphic environment), but this bug makes it pretty useless... if I can help activating some sort of debug on my pc, happy to contribute...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run cinnamon --replace in a terminal. Cinnamon will restart and will display some messages in the terminal. Please keep the terminal open and visible. If any message appears at the time of the freeze, please post it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

Can someone help me compile the latest version of Cinnamon? I followed Clem's tutorial (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955), but I didn't get too far:

Code: Select all

~ $ apt build-dep muffin
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Build-Depends dependency for muffin cannot be satisfied because package cdbs has no candidate version
 ~ $ apt build-dep cinnamon
Building dependency tree       
E: Build-Depends dependency for cinnamon cannot be satisfied because the package gnome-pkg-tools cannot be found
Or, even better, could someone make a .deb package?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

starbreaker wrote:Can someone help me compile the latest version of Cinnamon? I followed Clem's tutorial (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955), but I didn't get too far:

~ $ apt build-dep muffin
Building dependency tree       
E: Build-Depends dependency for muffin cannot be satisfied because package cdbs has no candidate version
Building dependency tree       
E: Build-Depends dependency for cinnamon cannot be satisfied because the package gnome-pkg-tools cannot be found
Take a look at this (at this very thread): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p592307
Instead of using the cinnamon-stable branch, use cinnamon-nightly.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

esteban1uy wrote:
starbreaker wrote:Can someone help me compile the latest version of Cinnamon? I followed Clem's tutorial (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955), but I didn't get too far:

~ $ apt build-dep muffin
Building dependency tree       
Building dependency tree       
Take a look at this (at this very thread): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p592307
Instead of using the cinnamon-stable branch, use cinnamon-nightly.
I was going to do this myself but on a whim I checked the installed version of Cinnamon on my desktop PC and it's already at version 1.4 UP3 which is the same version as in the referenced PPA. It was at version 1.4 UP1 no more than two days ago (I checked) and there have been updates since. I didn't see a Cinnamon update included but there must have been. The only way I'll be able to check if this fixed the freezing problem is to reload my laptop with Maya/Cinnamon and install the normal updates.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

My answer to the current situation was to go back to mint 12 with cinnamon and everythings back to awsome. Thats the best solution till the bugs get taken care of.
ias

Post by ias »

AlbertP wrote:Please run cinnamon --replace in a terminal. Cinnamon will restart and will display some messages in the terminal. Please keep the terminal open and visible. If any message appears at the time of the freeze, please post it.
Done. And the freeze has happened, as usual. This time however, after a few seconds from freeze, the screen has unfreezed but the windows have lost their borders and widgets (like minimize/maximize buttons etc.) and a "the application 'cinnamon' suddendly closed, core dumpo created', message in both terminal and desktop appeared. These the applications running before the crash: Firefox 13.0.1, Skype 4.0, Thunderbird 13.0.1 and the terminal itself.
My system is a custom PC with:

Sapphire PI-AM3RS785G motherboard, BIOS ver. 080015
AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor
SAMSUNG HD103UJ 1TB SATA disk
GeForce 9500 GT video card.
8 GB ram

The nvidia version driver is: 295.40, the "uname -a" is: Linux mypc 3.2.0-26-generic-pae #41-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jun 14 16:45:14 UTC 2012 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux.
I can do something else to help?
starbreaker

Post by starbreaker »

ashtonford wrote:My answer to the current situation was to go back to mint 12 with cinnamon and everythings back to awsome. Thats the best solution till the bugs get taken care of.
Installed Mint 12 + CInnamon on my laptop, one hour in and Firefox already froze once.

Return to “Beginner Questions”