[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
esteban1uy

Re: [Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by esteban1uy »

starbreaker wrote:
ashtonford wrote:My answer to the current situation was to go back to mint 12 with cinnamon and everythings back to awsome. Thats the best solution till the bugs get taken care of.
Installed Mint 12 + CInnamon on my laptop, one hour in and Firefox already froze once.
Did you try disabling webgl support in Firefox?

Open Firefox. Now type about:config in address bar and in the search box type webgl. To disable WebGL, set webgl.disabled to true. Then restart Firefox.
Any changes?
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Today i had a freeze whit saving a libre office document, and almost a freeze when i open a new tab whit firefox.
The last one, my system worked again after 5 a 10 seconds.
I all ready tried to go back to a mint wallpaper, moved the hot corner, replaced open jdk6 whit open jdk7 and replaced openjdk whit the oracle java 7.
Nothing worked yet for me.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

kruijf wrote:Today i had a freeze whit saving a libre office document, and almost a freeze when i open a new tab whit firefox.
The last one, my system worked again after 5 a 10 seconds.
I all ready tried to go back to a mint wallpaper, moved the hot corner, replaced open jdk6 whit open jdk7 and replaced openjdk whit the oracle java 7.
Nothing worked yet for me.
Not saying it will work but have you tired replacing MDM with GDM or LightDM? Since it's the easier of the two to do I'd recommend replacing MDM with GDM just to see if it makes any difference. You can install GDM via Synaptic and during installation it will ask you which display manager you wish to run--just choose GDM from the drop down menu. Reboot, and you should end up with a GDM login splash screen like the one in Linux Mint 10. Login and see if that helps any.

To switch back to mdm just run the following in teminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

Yesterday i updated the kernel to 3.2.0.26 maybe this helps.
I didnt tried GDM yet, if it freezes again whit this kernel thats the next thing i do.
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

It looks like al is working good in Gnome classic, i had no freeze yet i 12 ours that my laptop is on now.
I think i gonna trie GDM in stead off MDM.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

It is solved? What is the solution?

salud
DM
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

No not yet solved, i'm now using Gnome classic you can choose that be for you log in.
And that is working fine, i hope tomorow to test GDM whit Cinnamon.
I will post here if that is working for me.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

kruijf wrote:No not yet solved, i'm now using Gnome classic you can choose that be for you log in.
And that is working fine, i hope tomorow to test GDM whit Cinnamon.
I will post here if that is working for me.

ok. But why the title of the post has the prefix "[solved]"? Someone should change that.

salud
DM
agnar150

Post by agnar150 »

The best thing to do is install Ubuntu 12.04 then install cinnamon. It works like a charm.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I finally downloaded a new .iso image of Maya/Cinnamon (32 bit in my case) from a mirror near me (USA) and did a clean install on my Thinkpad R61 that has exhibited the same system freezes that everyone on this thread has been experiencing and hasn't frozen up once yet. Rapid scrolling of a document in LibreOffice, inserting a table in LO Writer, Firefox, etc all work fine now--no freezes.

The one thing I did do, simply because I do not like MDM, is install GDM instead. I did do all the usual things that tend cause Maya/Cinnamon to freeze up while MDM was still installed just to make sure. Could this whole freezing problem be due to a corrupted .iso image file that exists on some mirrors?

I downloaded from the "Yellow Fiber Networks" mirror just for info's sake. I'll pound on the install tomorrow however, my previous install of Maya/Cinnamon from the older .iso froze up almost as soon as I opened a doc in LO Writer.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kruijf

Post by kruijf »

I used the torrent to download the iso.
I stil must install GDM to test it, but i'm trying to solve a internet problem on the same time.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

kmb42vt wrote:
The one thing I did do, simply because I do not like MDM, is install GDM instead. I did do all the usual things that tend cause Maya/Cinnamon to freeze up while MDM was still installed just to make sure. Could this whole freezing problem be due to a corrupted .iso image file that exists on some mirrors? .

I remember that I cheked the integrity of my iso and it throw 4 errors. could be that te reason of the bug?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You maybe need to download and burn it again in that case.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

AlbertP wrote:You maybe need to download and burn it again in that case.
I downloaded several times and I got the same error... do you have a secure mirror?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please check the md5sum of the downloaded file. If that matches, it's downloaded correctly.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

AlbertP wrote:Please check the md5sum of the downloaded file. If that matches, it's downloaded correctly.
How do I check the md5sum. What I have done is checked the integrity of the .iso choosing the option at the fist screen after booting the PC from an USB stick
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

With this program you should be able to see what the md5sum of the ISO is: http://md5summer.org/
And you can compare that with the md5sum on the download page of the Linux Mint website.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

AlbertP wrote:With this program you should be able to see what the md5sum of the ISO is: http://md5summer.org/
And you can compare that with the md5sum on the download page of the Linux Mint website.
it looks like a program for window$ :(
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I'm sorry. On Linux you can right-click in the downloads folder > Open in Terminal, and then run md5sum filename.iso (replace filename with the name of the file).
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've checked the md5sum on the new Maya/Cinnamon .iso (32-bit) and it matches. Unfortunately, I deleted my old .iso I downloaded in May so I couldn't check that one for errors. Either way, the previous (May, 2012 download) installation of Maya/Cinnamon 32-bit on my ThinkPad R61 froze all the time and this new installation (June 29, 2012 download) appears to be rock stable. Considering how "flighty" these freezing problems are and how "iffy" the various solutions have been, my suspicion of a corrupted .iso here and there amongst the mirrors is getting stronger. I still have to restore all of my data to the laptop but none of my data includes any modification to the core system. Just /home/ directory data and .config files for Filezilla, Google Earth, Skype and my fonts. I don't see how those could possibly affect anything though.

I'll pound on this install further and report back but so far it looks good.

Return to “Beginner Questions”