[Solved] System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MSeries

Re: System freezing - Mint 13 Cinnamon

Post by MSeries »

quick update: I spent the weekend just using my computer rather than trying to make it crash or doing any admin on it. I still have some freezes, random ones when using Firefox or gvim.

Another issue is that gvim sometimes doesn't render the text properly, resizing the window causes a redraw and usually fixes it. This probolem seems prevalent after I have been running for a while so perhaps there is a memory leak. I am using Cinnamon 1.4UP3 and the Nvidia proprietary drivers from the repository
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

How long it will take to fix this bug?

Missing cinnamom

DM
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

This happens to me when using Chrome, on Gmail composing an email, click on attach a file, click on a bookmarked folder and freeze will happen. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace will work and get me back to login screen.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Just a suggestion, LMDE has Cinnamon/Mate in the latest spins. One could dual-boot LMDE and Mint 13 until Ubuntu/Mint figures out what this issue is all about.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

KBD47 wrote:Just a suggestion, LMDE has Cinnamon/Mate in the latest spins. One could dual-boot LMDE and Mint 13 until Ubuntu/Mint figures out what this issue is all about.
I tried LMDE but it does not have (or I could not find) an installer of privative drivers for my network controller (BCM4312). Any one knows how to install those drivers in a simple way?

Best
DM
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I moved the hot corner in Cinnamon to top right instead of top left and I haven't had a freeze since. It only ever seemed to happen when I pressed Firefox' back button which was over the hot corner. Fingers crossed. :)
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

iironjade wrote:I moved the hot corner in Cinnamon to top right instead of top left and I haven't had a freeze since. It only ever seemed to happen when I pressed Firefox' back button which was over the hot corner. Fingers crossed. :)
That sounds a little bit esoterical ;)

Did you try installing chromium instead firefox (indeed it better)

salud
DM
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

donmatas wrote:
iironjade wrote:I moved the hot corner in Cinnamon to top right instead of top left and I haven't had a freeze since. It only ever seemed to happen when I pressed Firefox' back button which was over the hot corner. Fingers crossed. :)

salud
DM
It's simple enough via Preferences/Cinnamon Settings. Bottom right is the best place to have it otherwise, as I just found out, I can't close anything.
So far so good. :)
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

iironjade wrote:
donmatas wrote:

salud
DM
It's simple enough via Preferences/Cinnamon Settings. Bottom right is the best place to have it otherwise, as I just found out, I can't close anything.
So far so good. :)
I know hoy to change the settings of the hot corner. What I was trying to say is that I am sceptic about your solution... ;)
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

I don't know if it will solve anyone else's freezing problems but it definitely seems to have fixed mine, at least for the time being. If it's not a permanent fix I'll be in touch. :)
kinzeron

Post by kinzeron »

Hi,

This doesn't seem to be related to cinnamon nor to mate, i have installed xfce4 and it hangs the same as soon as I open a new page with firefox. Reconfigured MDM and tried 32 and 64 bits version of linux mint 13 Mate and it gives the same. From what I see, the issue is either related to the video driver or gtk simply (because audio seems to be ok, but sometimes sluggish when the screen freezes). I have an old nvidia 8400mG laptop, 4M ram, core 2 duo. Didn't try KDE yet. personnaly I suspect gtk.

Anyone had any luck in fixing the problem ?
esteban1uy

Post by esteban1uy »

kinzeron wrote:Hi,

This doesn't seem to be related to cinnamon nor to mate, i have installed xfce4 and it hangs the same as soon as I open a new page with firefox. Reconfigured MDM and tried 32 and 64 bits version of linux mint 13 Mate and it gives the same. From what I see, the issue is either related to the video driver or gtk simply (because audio seems to be ok, but sometimes sluggish when the screen freezes). I have an old nvidia 8400mG laptop, 4M ram, core 2 duo. Didn't try KDE yet. personnaly I suspect gtk.

I still think it's some bug "inherited" from Ubuntu: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/993187

Most of Ubuntu users report that upgrading kernel to version 3.3.X or 3.4 fixed their freeze problems.
Penurious Penguin

Post by Penurious Penguin »

kinzeron wrote:Hi,

Not I; but 'tis an unpredictable and inconsistent bug for me.

Though I have suggested the same and use Mate myself, it seems this thread is hellbent on ignoring anything but Cinnamon. I also agree that it is graphics related and predict many of those who've reported success, to return eventually with complaints of the same bug. I can only hope enough un-spiced penguins will stray hither and receive due attention, some day.
donlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by donlinux »

Update from my mint 13 "Mate" box.
Have been using it ferociously for a week now. Extensive use of libre office writer, calc and draw.
Using gnucash frequently along with always having firefox and chrome open.
Managed to tweak settings in mate to look desirable to me.
Installed dropbox, spideroak, tweaked caja, added some scripts.
Has NOT frozen.

Just for kicks this morning I logged on with cinnamon. opened up 2 spreadsheets that I knew used to freeze the system.
Locked up in less than a minute of scrolling through them.

Mate is working for me. I hope it continues to be a viable desktop solution for as long as mint has lts.

Inspiron 1525N Computer
Processor 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory 2052MB (563MB used)
Operating System Linux Mint 13 Maya
Display Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I got tired of the freezing and switched over to centos6.2 its rock solid on my sony lap top and my dell lap top.
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

ashtonford wrote:I got tired of the freezing and switched over to centos6.2 its rock solid on my sony lap top and my dell lap top.
Me too. I installed Xubuntu 12.04 an it works perfectly.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For those users who installed LM 13/Cinnamon on a production machine and are thinking of going over to another distro until this problem is sorted out, SolusOS 1.1 is a good alternative that "just works"--meaning load it, update it and you're done. I'm not promoting any one distro over another but I can fully understand the frustration. I'm an avid Mint user myself and LM 13/Cinnamon works fine on my desktop (with the exception of switching to LightDM due to MDM crashing at boot) but constantly freezes on my dual core/2 GB DDR2 Thinkpad R61 (circa 2008).

I've gone over to SolusOS 1.1 on my R61 and it works like a champ. Based on Debian Stable but consistently updated with most of the popular apps and codecs.

http://solusos.com/download/#
Last edited by kmb42vt on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Let's keep this on topic for analyzing and solving the issue please. No need to abandon ship just yet, Clem and the developers are working hard on improving Cinnamon to fix this blocking issue for those users affected. The MATE desktop can be a workaround till then.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

xenopeek wrote:Let's keep this on topic for analyzing and solving the issue please. The MATE desktop is a stable workaround option for now, and Cinnamon 1.4UP3 is looking promising. No need to abandon ship just yet, Clem and the developers are working hard on improving Cinnamon to fix this blocking issue for those users affected.
Not jumping ship at all but I do understand that there are some users here on this thread who are experiencing this problem that installed LM 13/Cinnamon on a production machine rather than doing testing. My post was directed towards them. I have edited my original post to reflect this.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
donmatas

Post by donmatas »

kmb42vt wrote:
xenopeek wrote:Let's keep this on topic for analyzing and solving the issue please. The MATE desktop is a stable workaround option for now, and Cinnamon 1.4UP3 is looking promising. No need to abandon ship just yet, Clem and the developers are working hard on improving Cinnamon to fix this blocking issue for those users affected.
Not jumping ship at all but I do understand that there are some users here on this thread who are experiencing this problem that installed LM 13/Cinnamon on a production machine rather than doing testing. My post was directed towards them.
I am on a production machine wainting in Xubuntu untill the community fix the bug

salud
M

Return to “Beginner Questions”