Folder Permissions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bataeag

Folder Permissions

Post by bataeag »

I am running Linux Mint 14 and trying to set up my Plex library. I have 3 physical drives. On my primary drive, I can load videos and access them via Plex. When I move the files to another physical drive, Plex cannot see any of the files/folders. I have verified that I am the owner of the files, and that all other users have Access rights to the folders (same as when they are on my primary drive).

Also possibly related, when I boot my system up, it does not automatically Mount the other drives, even though I have set them in the Disks menu to Mount on Boot. I have to click into Computer then click the drives before they Mount.

Sorry this has probably been answered somewhere else.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Folder Permissions

Post by jahid »

post the output of

Code: Select all

cat /etc/fstab
replace usernames with "user" if any.... (optional, for security purpose)
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# / was on /dev/sde1 during installation
UUID=fce818ce-38c3-4829-9d9e-403538160536 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sde5 during installation
UUID=2afce653-4fe1-4f4a-80a7-6cea55a63c84 none swap sw 0 0
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

When I move the files to another physical drive, Plex cannot see any of the files/folders. I have verified that I am the owner of the files, and that all other users have Access rights to the folders (same as when they are on my primary drive).

That might be a "Plex" issue - how do you know Plex cannot see the files? And you can access them otherwise, with a file browser or whatever, correct?

With the disk mounted, run this in a terminal:
$ blkid

Also possibly related, when I boot my system up, it does not automatically Mount the other drives, even though I have set them in the Disks menu to Mount on Boot. I have to click into Computer then click the drives before they Mount.

Here's a thread about that:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=179154
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

So Plex has a web-based interface, and when I have the movies on my primary drive, I tell Plex where the files are, and it displays them, and I can play, edit, move, delete, etc. my library and playlist. When I have the movies on my secondary drives, and tell Plex where they are, it comes up with a blank library. I can browse through the file system and see the media files under \media\FDrive\Movies, and I can access the files locally via VLC or other media players.
jahid

Post by jahid »

You need to add an entry for each of your partitions for automounting at bootup in the /etc/fstab file. Post the output of

sudo blkid
as flemur stated. Then I will be able to tell you the exact lines that you need to add in that file..
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

/dev/sde1: UUID="fce818ce-38c3-4829-9d9e-403538160536" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdf1: LABEL="FDrive" UUID="7ab9b9ed-36d0-43f9-8545-a82ff372876f" TYPE="ext4"
/dev/sdg1: LABEL="GDrive" UUID="1DE3E2B01612C610" TYPE="ntfs"

The FDrive is the drive in question
jahid

Post by jahid »

Fist open the /etc/fstab file to edit:

gksudo xdg-open /etc/fstab
Then add the following line into that file:
UUID=7ab9b9ed-36d0-43f9-8545-a82ff372876f /media/user/FDrive ext4 defaults 0 0
user will be replaced with your username.
Then reboot and go to /media/user and select the FDrive folder then right click and select properties and change the permissions for subfolders and files as you wish. It will be permanent from now...

You can also use /media/FDrive instead of /media/user/FDrive if you wish. But in that case you need to create the folder FDrive first (if not exist already)

sudo mkdir /media/FDrive
You can do the same thing to GDrive if you wish. But for this you won't need to change the permissions.
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

Now when I boot I get a error: An error occured while mounting /media/user/FDrive
Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery

I can Skip and get to the OS, but the drive is still not automatically mounted.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

bataeag wrote:Now when I boot I get a error: An error occured while mounting /media/user/FDrive

Open the terminal and enter

sudo -i

mkdir /media/fdrive
Change your fstab entry to

UUID=7ab9b9ed-36d0-43f9-8545-a82ff372876f /media/fdrive ext4 defaults 0 2

for e in kate gedit pluma;do if test -e /usr/bin/$e;then $e /etc/fstab;fi;done

tune2fs -c35 /dev/sdf1

mount /media/fdrive
This needs to be done once after you mount the partition. If there are files residing on it then set them as required

chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER /media/fdrive
You can call fdrive anything you want, just make sure the folder matches the fstab entry.

Good luck :wink:
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

bataeag wrote:Now when I boot I get a error: An error occured while mounting /media/user/FDrive

Open the terminal and enter

sudo -i

mkdir /media/fdrive
Change your fstab entry to

UUID=7ab9b9ed-36d0-43f9-8545-a82ff372876f /media/fdrive ext4 defaults 0 2

for e in kate gedit pluma;do if test -e /usr/bin/$e;then $e /etc/fstab;fi;done

tune2fs -c35 /dev/sdf1

mount /media/fdrive
This needs to be done once after you mount the partition. If there are files residing on it then set them as required

chown $SUDO_USER:$SUDO_USER /media/fdrive
You can call fdrive anything you want, just make sure the folder matches the fstab entry.

Good luck :wink:
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

Thanks so much WharfRat, when I boot, both drives now mount, and I can access all my files in Plex. You rock!
jahid

Post by jahid »

user needed to be replaced with your user name. Did you do that correctly?

Anyway it's solved now, so better mark this as solved..
bataeag

Post by bataeag »

Yes, now its mounted as \media\FDrive

Return to “Beginner Questions”