Repair

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Open Source

Repair

Post by Open Source »

Hello fellow Linux friends. I have a question I cant get an answer to and need a solution plz. I am running Mint 13 on my Toshiba satellite pro L300 and the other week by error i unmounted HDD without knowing and kept going. Next morning no boot. Removed HDD and put back in and several restarts later it boots but it tends to freeze up for a few seconds mainly on the net and music. My question is can I re-use the ISO to repair or do I need re-format? Have asked on facebook no response. I just want to be able to use it proper again. Any help be gr8 thx friends
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Open Source

Repair

Post by Open Source »

I am running Mint 13 on my Toshiba satellite pro L300 and the other week by error i unmounted HDD without knowing and kept going. Next morning no boot. Removed HDD and put back in and several restarts later it boots but it tends to freeze up for a few seconds mainly on the net and music. My question is can I re-use the ISO to repair or do I need re-format?
ktheking

Re: Repair

Post by ktheking »

What do you mean by 'i unmounted HDD without knowing and kept going' ... ,can you give some details here ?
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Chances are the filesystem (ext3/4) has been corrupted because of this.

The best way to fix this is :

-boot your system with a livecd
-start a filesystem check ,with autofix
-copy your personal data to an external drive
-re-format the internal drive,and re-install your os on it.

It's possible to fix this without formatting,but chances are you'll be fixing one problem after the other.

More on doing fsck : http://rayslinux.blogspot.be/2012/11/10 ... check.html

WARNING : All of these action can result in data loss. If you want to make sure to preserve your data prior to making you fsck commands, it's advised you create a diskimage ,preferably with ddrescue ( http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/ar ... rescue.htm )
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you tried running update-grub to see if that will cure it?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

[quote="ktheking"]What do you mean by 'i unmounted HDD without knowing and kept going'
By this I mean I clicked the eject sybol 4 sum stupid reason and kept using computer afterwards
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

Spearmint2 wrote:Have you tried running update-grub to see if that will cure it?
Nope not yet guessing i type it in terminal? might try that 1st simples
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

@ ktheking yea was thinkin along those lines hope its not but might be
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

That's worrying that the gui allows you to do an unmount of your main disk ,even though it's in use.
I know you can force this through command line ,but from the gui ?
You'll need to go through the stuff I've proposed for the easy way out.
The alternative is go through all the required layers manually. (fileystem , boot grub, core, libraries ,etc.)

Boot repair :
http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Check this article on package sanity checks for ubuntu :
http://askubuntu.com/questions/57704/is ... nity-check
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

Ok tried grub update no go... Am on Ubuntu machine now. Ktheking yes its strange it let me didnt mean to hit eject dont seem to be able to now... Ah I migh go full redo and try Sabayon but have Mint set up well now dnt know the partioning was screwed up 2 not by me either so have no idea how 2 redo them want system 50/50 as I use backtrack as well going to need it more so as am doing web developement course
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

why is there an eject button for it? Do you have the system on a flashdrive instead of a hard drive? Eject button shouldn't bother anything. I have systems loaded to flashdrives and use the eject all the time with no problem. I suspect you have something else and so long as you blame the eject button for it, you will fail to look in the correct direction. You need to keep track of the symptoms and describe them, then maybe you can get appropriate help.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

Its on my HDD has been for nearly a year now. Its a dual boot system and the HDD was new when I installed Linux 1st. No idea why eject button was there I wondered that myself. I used system after doing it then no boot next day and an error msg. (cant rember what it said something about hd out of mount) Nothing untill I removed HDD and put it back in. It took several boots to get it running it wend in 2 sum rendering mode?? Runs now but is broken am guessing packages as have updated grub and still the same. Best way i can describe symptoms is system stops responding i can move mouse just nothing I click or type works untill system decides to respond. It will all so cause a music track to do the same at times. At a rough guess am thinking a corrupted file/s or damaged packages?
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

How old is this computer? Is it old enough to be from those days of faulty capacitors failing on so many motherboards? Do you have the data cables to the drive setup correctly if PATA? It seems the motherboard BIOS believes it's a CDROM drive. Have you check that in the BIOS? You mention a checksum error. Have you tried shorting the BIOS, it's a set fo 2-3 pins usually near the coin battery, check your manual on what to do. That will reset the BIOS to defaults and usually clear any glitches or gremlins that one can't get rid of any other way. This definitely is a motherboard problem on how it recognizes the drive, less likely is if it's caused by the drive itself.
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

Un sure on the age but its a Toshiba satellite pro L300. I have thought about resetting BIOS as have passworded it I lnow the password but it gets annoying. Now I dont know if its just temorary but it seems 2 be running now (touch wood it stays) I done the mint updates then booted in 2 my secindary OS (Backtrack 5) and now it seems 2 b ok?? Its weird have tried 2 make it skip but so far so good.... Knowing my luck i will post this and it will glitch out again. Prior to HDD issue it ran basically trouble free
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Oh, a laptop. I'm thinking maybe someone took out a CD drive and then used that area to put a hard drive into it, creating a dual harddrive setup. The laptop BIOS must still be set to see it as a CD drive. Have you entered the BIOS to see how it considers it?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd ... 102-4.html

I laughed on this statement;

"After inserting and securing the OptiBayHD caddy, your notebook is good to go. Who would guess that there is now a hard disk behind the side panel?"

I was thinking, Hmmm,..maybe not even the laptop?
Open Source

Post by Open Source »

yea sorry should have saud laptop.. It was always fine untill that date and now I thought it was right its doin it again not as bad but is slow. Tempted 2 wipe driva and start again as it was partioned wrong and backtracks on a lare partion theres an empty large 1 and Mint went on 2 a 16 gig spot its ext 4 want it moved to right spot. Linux and Mac make the best OS yet wen u have problems their tricky 1s. Thx will check out that link soon

Return to “Beginner Questions”