Total Newbie to Linux

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hansi

Total Newbie to Linux

Post by hansi »

Hi. I am a total newbie to Linux but want to install it as a dual boot system with XP following the end of XP support. However I have a number of questions as to whether Linux will run my XP software. Firstly, I use Windows Live Mail which I would like to keep and this runs in conjunction with Mailwasher Pro which sorts my spam before it gets into my inboxes, and secondly I use Quicken 2001. Will I be able to import my address book ( about 500 contacts) and current emails, and also import Quicken which has years of transactions and is regularly backed up. Sorry for all the questions, and there will probably be more as things go on, but I want to be sure before I go ahead. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Total Newbie to Linux

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Hansi.
hansi wrote: However I have a number of questions as to whether Linux will run my XP software.
No, definitely not.
Linux Mint is not a Windows software. It is an operating system just like Windows is an operating system or like MocOS is an operating system.
Considering the requirement to run all your Windows software like before, my advice will be:
Stick with Windows. Get a new machine that comes pre-installed with Windows 8.1 and be happy.

If, however, you seriously wish to find out whether Linux Mint might be the right operating system to replace Windows XP, start by trying out the Linux Mint live system. Like many other Linux distributions Linux Mint can be run from a bootable DVD or from a bootable USB pendrive as a live system. Doing so will give the chance of finding out
+ whether Linux Mint can be run on your hardware without problems
+ whether you like Linux Mint
+ which software Linux Mint brings along out of the box
and all this without making any modifications to Windows XP on your harddisk.
Telling from your nickname, your native language may be German. In this case: German tutorials on what to do in order to try out Linux Mint from a bootable live system (it is the same as the bootable installation medium) will be available in German, too. Just Google for them.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
hansi

Post by hansi »

karlchen wrote:
hansi wrote: However I have a number of questions as to whether Linux will run my XP software.
No, definitely not.
Linux Mint is not a Windows software. It is an operating system just like Windows is an operating system or like MocOS is an operating system.
Considering the requirement to run all your Windows software like before, my advice will be:
Stick with Windows. Get a new machine that comes pre-installed with Windows 8.1 and be happy.

Karl
Thank you but it's not that simple. I just can't afford to buy a new computer just to run Windows. I'll take my chance with XP and use my tablet for online banking and purchases etc.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Hansi.

How about the second part of my reply which was about trying out Linux Mint from a bootable live system before really trying to install it on your computer?

The basic message of part one was simply this: Linux Mint is not Windows XP just for free. Linux Mint is not another Windows software. It cannot be run on Windows. If you insist on simply going on each of your Windows programmes, switching with some recent Windows version is the better way.
If, however, you are serious about checking out a different operating system like e.g. Linux Mint, part 2 of my previous reply applies.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
hansi

Post by hansi »

Karl, the second part of your reply did not appear on your first reply (if you know what I mean :( ), I'll give that a go.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Incidentally, I am Welsh :lol: :lol: :lol:
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

hansi wrote:Incidentally, I am Welsh :lol: :lol: :lol:
What does this teach me? => Do not judge a user by his nickname. :wink: OK, simply forget about tutorials written in German. Have got no idea whatsoever whether anybody has ever translated any tutorials into Welsh :?:
hansi wrote:Karl, the second part of your reply did not appear on your first reply (if you know what I mean :( ), I'll give that a go.
To be honest I had pressed the [Send] button after having written the first paragraph. - Then it occurred to me it might be more helpful to add something constructive as well. So I added the paragraph about trying out Linux Mint without having to change the current Windows XP system and pressed [Send] again. - I guess the elapsed timespan explains why you had not seen the complete post when posting your reply.
Lifeline
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

hansi wrote: Firstly, I use Windows Live Mail which I would like to keep and this runs in conjunction with Mailwasher Pro which sorts my spam before it gets into my inboxes, and secondly I use Quicken 2001. Will I be able to import my address book ( about 500 contacts) and current emails, and also import Quicken which has years of transactions and is regularly backed up.
To me, the important question is "Are there linux alternatives to the Windows programs?"
You would have to explore the capabilities of Thunderbird, or other mail clients, or maybe gmail.
As for Quicken, my impression is that Gnucash is a good linux alternate. It has double entry, a hierarchy of accounts, expense accounts (categories), and can import Quicken QIF files and OFX files.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
xerion567

Post by xerion567 »

austin.texas wrote:
hansi wrote: Firstly, I use Windows Live Mail which I would like to keep and this runs in conjunction with Mailwasher Pro which sorts my spam before it gets into my inboxes, and secondly I use Quicken 2001. Will I be able to import my address book ( about 500 contacts) and current emails, and also import Quicken which has years of transactions and is regularly backed up.
To me, the important question is "Are there linux alternatives to the Windows programs?"
Right there pretty much says it all.

One of the biggest differences from Microsoft and open-source are choices. There are lots of different ways to accomplish the same things that you did on Windows in Linux. They will have different names, they will look different, and they will function different. If you're willing to take the time to learn new ways of doing things, then Linux may well work for you; however, if you don't have the time or patience for messing with the computer, you will want to stay away from Linux.

The suggestion above of using the install disk to boot up into a "live" system will also allow you to test things out to see if Linux can do what you need it to. Linux Mint comes with a special "software manager" program (which you can start from the program menu), from which you can "install" software while running off the DVD. Just use the search box to look for what you're interested in, like "finance". From there you can check out the screenshots, read the reviews if you want, and click install to try it out. When the install is done the software will be in the program menu, and when you reboot the computer it will be gone. The only changes that are permanent are if you click the "install linux mint" icon, or you open up and change files on your hard drives in the files screen.

Return to “Beginner Questions”