Ripping DVD's

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Ripping DVD's

Postby bgast1 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:28 pm

Is it possible in Linux to rip your own, copy protected DVD's to your own hard drive. If this skirts on the edge of legality for some of you and you don't want to answer in open forum, please PM me. I don't want cause any problems here for anyone. But I truly would like to back up some of my DVD's, because in my household they can get scratched awfully easy. The kids don't seem to have the greatest respect for DVDs or CDs. Really gets me :evil: sometimes.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ripping DVD's

Postby Udi on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:38 pm

Acidrip does a nice job. You can install it with:
sudo apt-get install acidrip

I am also sure that if you search the web you'll find more alternatives. I don't do any ripping myself (except just this second to answer your question) so I can't tell you if Acidrip is the best. It looks like a basic tool - but I like basic tools :)

See ya.
Udi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bgast1 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:47 pm

I like basic tools. :D It works on copy protected DVD's?
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby curt_grymala on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm

I just tested it. It appears to rip copy-protected discs.

However, unlike DVD Decrypter for Windows, acidrip only seems to offer the option to convert the video to AVI or MPEG, rather than allowing you to directly rip VOB files.

EDIT - I am in the process of testing, but it appears as though K3B is capable of copying a protected DVD to either an ISO file or another disc.
curt_grymala
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bgast1 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:17 pm

Let's say you copy it to an ISO. Can you watch that ISO on your computer or then do you have to burn it back out onto a DVD? (I would assume just like we burn a disto) I use K3b for that.
bgast1
Level 2
Level 2

Postby curt_grymala on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 am

You can watch an ISO of a DVD on your computer, but you have to use the proper program with which to do it. I am still working on figuring out which media players are best for watching DVDs, let along ISOs of DVDs.

It appears that Xine is capable of playing a DVD ISO, but my particular installation of Xine says I'm missing the proper demuxer (even though I have livdvdcss installed).

Of course, it shouldn't really matter whether or not a media player is inherently able to play an ISO instead of a physical DVD, as you can mount an ISO to the filesystem the same way you would do with a physical disc.

As I said, though, the real trick is finding a media player that plays the DVD properly.
curt_grymala
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jaredr on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:01 am

Try handbrake. It runs on Linux, OS X, and Windows. Nice GUI and good performance.

http://handbrake.fr/
jaredr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RickWolf on Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:52 pm

Hello everyone. I'm still fairly new to linux. I started using Fedora 11 in May of 2009. I switched to Linux Mint 8 in October. Mint has a lot of nice features and its menus are a little like Windows XP. I got hacked last year, I was using Windows Vista Home Premium. I wasn't home at the time, and I had left my machine on and connected. A very nasty virus was then introduced, and it got into my boot sector. So every time i got rid of it, when i rebooted the computer it was back, and worse than before. The MS techs couldn't or wouldn't help me (par for the course). The only thing I was able to find that removed the virus for me was Linux. I was so impresssed with the abilities of the live dvd that I installed it immediately. Unfortunately I was too late to save 11,000 mp3's, about 300 avi's ripped from dvd's I had or borrowed from friends, and close to 40,000 pictures and graphics. Not to mention approximately 9,000 bucks worht of programs. That being said, I apologize for temporarily getting off the current subject. AcipRip works well for ripping dvd's in avi or mpeg format. I personally prefer avi files because they are usually only 700mb, so you can easily fit more movies on your machine than if you had them in iso's or mpeg files, both of which are usually 5 to 8 gig, depending. Plus, if you have a newer dvd player, they can play avi xvid files, so you can realistically fit 4 or 5 movies on one single 4.7 gig dvd disc. For the last three days I've been trying to rip dvd's onto my external 320 gig Seagate FreeAgent Godrive. The Avatar dvd I have is copy protected, and I am still trying to figure out how to rip it and burn it to a blank dvd. Two tries with AcidRip have yielded two avi files that play fine, but with no audio. So I am trying different audio formats under my options in the ripper program. I have used almost every authoring, ripping, burning, and converting program in the package manager's arsenal of video program packages. They all work well for certain things. I'm still working with them. I've had to resort to writing everything down on paper as i try things, keeping track of my settings, options I used, etc. Once you have the dvd ripped into an avi or mpeg file, ManDVD does an excellent job of generating a dvd structure and uses either K3b or your default burner program (it allows you to choose which one) to burn it to dvd. I've done three movies so far. They play fine, although Clash of the Titans audio and video seems to become unsynced every ten minutes as I watch it on my brother's Symphonic dvd player. It doesn't happen on my Memorex dvd player. So the brand of dvd player also becomes a factor in the equation, as to whether or not the video will play. At any rate, the RCE copy protection on the store purchased Avatar dvd I own is giving me an extremely hard time. I will be back with an update on the situation as soon as I try some other programs and options, providing I am able to come up with a solution. DVD Shrink seems to work well using Wine to run it in Linux Mint, as it is a Windows program. The resulting rip plays fine with Gnome player and Mplayer, but I have yet to find a program that will shrink the vob file small enough for it to fit on a 4.7gb dvd disc, because the file is 6.8 gig, and I have no 8 gig dual layer discs. Devede will shrink the file to 4.1 gig, but when i try to burn it to dvd i get errors with the audio, or the video file drops are too extreme and writing fails. In the mean time, if any of yall have any ideas I am open to suggestions. I'm in Texas, and it's so hot my brain is frying as I sit here trying to figure this out. I'm getting tired of thinking. lol, sorry for writing a book instead of just a couple sentences. I tend to get "wordy" when I'm frustrated.
RickWolf
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JasonLG on Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:50 pm

I ripped Avatar with no problems with HandBrake.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Postby redneck on Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:06 pm

I use K9Copy, it`s pretty good.
Admittedly it creates a 4.3GB iso, but you could then burn it to a rewritable dvd and use acidrip to turn it into avi`s.
Don`t know if that`s any use to you.
redneck
Level 1
Level 1

Postby craig10x on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:41 pm

I haven't tried them, but i read online that: DVD RIP and THOGGEN are two programs that will copy encypted dvds....From looking at screenshots of both, it looks like THOGGEN has the more simple GUI of the two...and both are available in the Mint Software Center....
I was also wondering if anyone had used those two programs? If so...how are they???
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Postby JasonLG on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:44 am

craig10x wrote:I haven't tried them, but i read online that: DVD RIP and THOGGEN are two programs that will copy encypted dvds....From looking at screenshots of both, it looks like THOGGEN has the more simple GUI of the two...and both are available in the Mint Software Center....
I was also wondering if anyone had used those two programs? If so...how are they???

I've tried them both and neither compares to HandBrake. DVD RIP has a complicated interface and THOGGEN although very easy to use simply can't match HandBrake as far as video quality.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Postby soapy138 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:04 pm

i checked handbrake's site and it said it didnt have support for encrypted dvds, i would like to be able to copy the dvd's iso then burn it to another dvd, dvds tend to get a lot of wear in my house and i'd prefer not have to keep rebuying dvds when the ones i have wear out (or break), so what program should i use for this? k9copy sounds like it might work but i'm not sure...
soapy138
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Midnighter on Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 pm

I use DVDecryptor (installed under WINE to rip my DVDs to Hard disk, then use Handbrake or Acidrip to rip and encode them to video. Oh, and of course make sure that libdvdcss2 is installed to able to deal with encrypted (commercial) DVDs. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Postby garrydb on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey, I have been using acidrip for several years now, for the same thing you are trying to do and it is a superb program for this. Best I've found cause you can put about 4 times as many dvd's on the same space as most of the other ripping programs. I wouldn't use anything else. Just giving my experience.. Thanks
Registered Linux User #422517
Gigabyte 970 A DS3
3.0 Quad core AMD processor
3 Sata HDD
1 500gb
1 1TB
1 1.5TB
1 DVD Lightscribe
2 DVD Burners Asus
highest speed DHL my service offers - 10mps
garrydb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JasonLG on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:46 am

soapy138 wrote:i checked handbrake's site and it said it didnt have support for encrypted dvds, i would like to be able to copy the dvd's iso then burn it to another dvd, dvds tend to get a lot of wear in my house and i'd prefer not have to keep rebuying dvds when the ones i have wear out (or break), so what program should i use for this? k9copy sounds like it might work but i'm not sure...

What they mean is that support for ripping encrypted DVDs isn't built directly into HandBrake. On Linux HandBrake uses the libs installed on your machine to decrypt DVDs.This is done for 2 reasons I suspect, 1st because it's common for unix-like systems to share libs. and 2nd because it keeps HandBrake development legal in most of the world because it doesn't technically decrypt the protected DVD in question, the external libs do.

The Short story is that HandBrake will rip commercial encrypted DVDs in Mint, has a much easier to understand interface and produces the best videos when it comes to quality vs size of any of the programs that anyone here has mentioned. I have tried them all.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions