How do I compile "Marathon" game and install dependencies?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Woods
Level 1
Level 1

How do I compile "Marathon" game and install dependencies?

Post by Woods »

Great thread! [split from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158]

First I would like to congratulate OP on the quite good and descriptive original port! :D

As it happens, I came across a tarball with dependencies witch some happens to be already installed libraries, others are also tarballs (sdl_net), and the README file inside doesn't helps on how to proceed.

So how do I proceed to install this: https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/marathon.html

It's an old Mac FPS that every one or another old Mac head enjoys playing, aLOT :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LinuxJim

Re: How to install software on Linux Mint

Post by LinuxJim »

Woods wrote:Great thread!

First I would like to congratulate OP on the quite good and descriptive original port! :D

As it happens, I came across a tarball with dependencies witch some happens to be already installed libraries, others are also tarballs (sdl_net), and the README file inside doesn't helps on how to proceed.

So how do I proceed to install this: https://alephone.lhowon.org/games/marathon.html

It's an old Mac FPS that every one or another old Mac head enjoys playing, aLOT :mrgreen:
This must be compiled from the source code.

The dependencies are listed in the Install.UNIX file. At a minimum, you need the libsdl suite and Boost libraries, and their -dev counterparts to compile it. And, of course, the entire GCC compiler tool chain.
Woods
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Woods »

LinuxJim wrote:

The dependencies are listed in the Install.UNIX file. At a minimum, you need the libsdl suite and Boost libraries, and their -dev counterparts to compile it. And, of course, the entire GCC compiler tool chain.
Compiling is as of yet not my turf, I'll reserve it for later. Now I'll grab a beer and watch something.

But really, thanks- now I know what to do - look for a compiling guide or tutorial. Thanks.
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

Woods wrote:
LinuxJim wrote:

Compiling is as of yet not my turf, I'll reserve it for later. Now I'll grab a beer and watch something.

But really, thanks- now I know what to do - look for a compiling guide or tutorial. Thanks.
No problem. FYI, everything you need is in the Mint repositories (except for the original Marathon game files).

Return to “Beginner Questions”