Long errors when I open any program via terminal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HRJ21

Long errors when I open any program via terminal

Post by HRJ21 »

Hi all, I'm new to Linux entirely so please bear with me! I'm running Linux Mint 17.2 with Cinnamon on a 64-bit machine which also has Windows 10 dual booted.

I've been trying to dive straight into using the terminal because it's versatility is one of the things that attracted me to a UNIX system. Doing basic things like opening programs via the terminal is easy and I'm getting on fine, but I find that whenever I open any program via the terminal, the program opens with no problem, but I get warning messages printed into the terminal. I don't know if this is normal or a big deal but wanted to ask in case there is something wrong with my system or how I'm doing things. I'll post a couple of examples below, but my question is why am I getting these warning messages, and what should I do, if anything, about them?

Code: Select all

~ $ firefox

(process:3463): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
I get the same from Thunderbird, but I notice when I do things in thunderbird, the terminal is quietly ticking away with error messages as I do them:

~ $ thunderbird

(process:3178): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed

(thunderbird:3178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::sm-connect after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::show-crash-dialog after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::display after class was initialised

(thunderbird:3178): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Attempt to add property GnomeProgram::default-icon after class was initialised
[calBackendLoader] Using libical backend at /home/hefin/.thunderbird/e44g0e8x.default/extensions/{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}/components/libical-manifest
JavaScript strict warning: resource://calendar/modules/calUtils.jsm, line 18: ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable EXPORTED_SYMBOLS
JavaScript strict warning: resource://calendar/modules/calIteratorUtils.jsm, line 9: ReferenceError: assignment to undeclared variable EXPORTED_SYMBOLS
Thanks
HRJ21
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Long errors when I open any program via terminal

Post by Mute Ant »

It's "normal" in that lots of GUI programs seem to do it. In a perfect world, each warning would be chased down and corrected as a potential defect in the system...you really wouldn't want ''assignment to undeclared variable'' in a pacemaker implant for example. Back on planet Linux, it's a bit more relaxed. The developers show you what is possible right now, then wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth. They rely on a big pool of alert users [us] to help debug their latest effort...very Darwinian it is.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

HRJ21 wrote:

~ $ firefox

(process:3463): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
I get the same from Thunderbird, but I notice when I do things in thunderbird, the terminal is quietly ticking away with error messages as I do them:
First of all, it is not normal as Mute Ant tries to explain to you. Any bug isn't normal, it's a programming failure.
This is a Firefox/Thunderbird bug. It has been reported numerous times, check >> here <<.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Ron-N wrote:Any bug isn't normal
Did you read the word "bug" anywhere in the answer of Mute Ant?

What he said in other words:
These are harmless outputs. They might irritate the user, who does not launch the program via menu or similar, but they do not reduce the functionality in any way.
One could judge the appearance as bug. But chances are, that the wrong counter-measurements against those outputs might produce a real bug, where important failure messages get also restrained.

So for an average user this is important and most likely for the OP the needed answer: Don't worry, no functionality is broken.
Ron-N

Post by Ron-N »

Cosmo. wrote:
Ron-N wrote:Any bug isn't normal
Did you read the word "bug" anywhere in the answer of Mute Ant?
Did you took a look at the link i provided? That GLib-CRITICAL is classified as a bug. And thus i called it a bug.
But good luck with your Firefox/Thunderbird adventure!

Return to “Beginner Questions”