[SOLVED]Memtest86 results?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hagey

[SOLVED]Memtest86 results?

Post by hagey »

Ok, so I ran this test and then wasn't able to save the results anywhere hence the image below. Number 1 + 2 are cut off but the same as the rest until you get to 11.

So, I don't know what any of this means but there appears to be errors?

If so, can anyone help me with what to do about it?

Thanks,

~hagey.
photo 2.JPG

Code: Select all

System:    Host: laptop-mint-17 Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.11.8 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: FUJITSU SIEMENS (portable) product: AMILO L7310 version: 5a
           Mobo: FSC model: 8650 version: 5a Bios: Insyde version: R1.04 date: 11/04/2005
CPU:       Single core Intel Celeron M (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2) bmips: 2985.36 clocked at 1492.680 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: VIA CN400/PM800/PM880/PN800/PN880 [S3 UniChrome Pro] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: openchrome (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@59.8hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller driver: snd_via82xx port: e000 bus-ID: 00:11.5
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: VIA VT6102 [Rhine-II] port: e200 bus-ID: 00:12.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: N/A
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR2413/AR2414 Wireless Network Adapter [AR5005G(S) 802.11bg] 
           driver: ath5k bus-ID: 00:06.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 40.0GB (13.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD400UE size: 40.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 36G used: 4.9G (15%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.01GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 133 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 426.9/938.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
niowluka

Re: Memtest86 results?

Post by niowluka »

It's not a good sign that's for sure, but let's not panic just yet.

Some background would be handy: why did you run the test; are you experiencing any problems ? Is that a new laptop ? Rerun the test a couple of times and see if it reports the same.
hagey

Post by hagey »

Hi niowluka, I ran the test because I was experiencing problems with web browser crashing. It's an old laptop and the advice I had so far was it may be my video card. I am experiencing this issue more so when just running on battery power however I was also advised it may be good to check the memory. I must confess to having little experience so I would be grateful of further suggestion.

Cheers,

Hagey.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Replace the RAM: it's probably rotten.
Last edited by Pjotr on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Agreed, the RAM is bad and needs replacing or that rig abandoning.

Only you will know whether it is economical to replace the RAM or not.

In England we have Freegle where you can post wanted ads to your local community for items wanted.
Do you have anything similar in Poland?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

No question about it, your ram is bad.

I had the same results when a ram simm suddenly went bad on an old Dell desktop.

I replaced both simms and it's running again.
hagey

Post by hagey »

Hey, thanks for the advice. The pre-installed RAM was only 512k but the guy down the computer shop found me a 1Gb he had lying around, obviously it hasn't been in good shape. I will stick the old RAM back in and see how that performs. In the meantime I might be able to get another 1 Gb card from somewhere. I'm surprised it works as ''well" as it does given the RAM is shot! :?

Cheers,

Hagey.
hagey

Re: [SOLVED]Memtest86 results?

Post by hagey »

Yep, the 1Gb card was definitely the issue. It doesn't even look like a compatible card anyway and as far as I can see for my laptop you're to use both slots of 512k to get max permissible RAM instead of 1 card (don't even think they do a 1Gb stand alone card for this machine) so that appears to have been the root of many a problem including what was happening with the boot. I have also enabled zRAM as I am now only running with 512k (2 x 256k cards). I will try and source more memory but at least I know where the problems lie!

:)

~hagey.

Return to “Beginner Questions”