newbie question about video codec

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bladeranger

newbie question about video codec

Post by bladeranger »

Brand spankin shiny new newbie here. I tried playing a movie (ST: into darkness) from the disc, not ripped, and the message I got was that part of the codec was missing, but I have downloaded VLC media player and gone back to their website to see if their program was missing something for the linux o/s. Movies still won't play, so I guess I haven't researched enough. I read how to get help, and researched on google, yahoo is useless to me, but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: newbie question about video codec

Post by Mute Ant »

VLC is not the most competent player in the world, and suffers from smug-error-message syndrome. Try smplayer which can decode nearly everything.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Install libdvdnav4, libdvdread4, and libdvdcss2.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Those are dependencies of mint-meta-codecs and under the umbrella of the patent/decrypt laws in your country. That is, in some countries it is criminal to unscramble a protected video...
https://torrentfreak.com/slysoft-dvd-ri ... on-140403/
By Andy on April 3, 2014 The owner of the company behind a suite of popular DVD ripping tools has lost his case against several large Hollywood studios and their technology partners. Slysoft owner Giancarla Bettini was found guilty of providing tools to circumvent AACS encryption and was fined $30,000. Failure to pay will result in a jail sentence.
bladeranger

Post by bladeranger »

I'm not trying to copy anything, I just want to watch my movie on my laptop, while on standby at work.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

@bladeranger , have you checked in Synaptic Package Manager to see if the library files jimallyn suggested are installed on your system?
jimallyn wrote:
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

If the laws of your country make an action criminal you can be prosecuted for that action. In the DVD or BluRay cases, it's the unscrambling that is the issue...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Mi ... yright_Act
...criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself.
There's a Free version of Mint that avoids patent/encryption problems. If you are having problems playing a protected disk, the technical side is relatively easy to fix, but only you can decide if you are allowed to do that.
bladeranger

Post by bladeranger »

richyrich wrote:@bladeranger , have you checked in Synaptic Package Manager to see if the library files jimallyn suggested are installed on your system?
jimallyn wrote:
I haven't yet but I will go check. We've actually been busy the last few days and I haven't taken much time to fiddle with it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”