Would Linux be more popular with LESS choice?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Would Linux be more popular with LESS choice?

Yes. Hundreds of Distros, each with multiple DE's, and some flooded app categories is too overwhelming for the general public.
40%
No. The insane amount of choice Linux offers is not limiting its popularity.
60%

Total votes: 136

Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Would Linux be more popular with LESS choice?

Post by Pjotr »

There is no problem. If you look closer, there really aren't so much choices. Not in real life.

The big ones are Linux Mint, the *buntu family, Debian, Fedora and openSUSE. The rest is irrelevant for the general public and almost invisible; all those small distro's only appear on the radar of people who are already experienced Linux users.

Of these five, Linux Mint and the *buntu family attract the most Linux beginners. By far. This is also reflected in the press coverage in computer magazines etc.

Within Linux Mint, the Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce editions are the most popular. Again by far.
Within the *buntu's, Ubuntu with Unity has definitely the largest market share.

So that limits the real life choice to four: Linux Mint Cinnamon, Linux Mint Mate, Linux Mint Xfce and Ubuntu. Not very overwhelming for a Linux beginner, I'd say.... :mrgreen:

I did not vote, by the way, because I dislike the word "insane" in the vote option that I otherwise would have selected.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

I think that anyone who want to start his/her own distro for public use should watch this at least once in their life.

http://on.ted.com/g0uol

I'm almost decided to stick with mint after 7 years ditching distros because none of them 'meet my expectations' because every distro is lacking in something different every time on each release. So why stick to one, instead of making it to work?
Then the loop begins and probaly after some time you will realize that too many choices is not helping you to decide...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

@ Ark987

That was a pretty good video! Thanks! :)
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I do believe that all these distro's hurt Linux. More than 300 multiplied with an amount of DE's multiplied with the choice between 32 and 64 bits is just too much.
And why? To give a choice? Do you have any idea what to chose with so many choices? I don't.
It's like buying a new pair of shoes. When the first pair fits and looks good I buy them even though my wife tells me to keep looking for some others because I might find a better pair. No, I don't, the first pair is good so I buy them to prevent having to chose with the risk of choosing the wrong one.

When there would be a couple of different distributions, 2-3 on the deb-side and 2-3 on the rpm-side of the force, wouldn't that be enough? Especially since also these distro's have different DE's to chose from.

Why are so many people / groups of people / companies constantly trying to invent the wheel? News flash: it is here already.
Instead of working apart from each other and trying with yet another theme to attract users I think it is much better if programmers work together to make their distro's more Stable, more Safe, and give them more Speed. See my idea which I posted a long time ago: http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/1123.
Are these three items not more important than another fork of a known distro combined with a flashy theme to make one distro?

Look at a distro: what is it? What makes a distro? The kernel, which obviously is the Linux kernel. Add a DE with its look and feel and system programs to make life more comfortable (file manager, terminal, calculator, etc), add major user programs like Libreoffice, The Gimp, a web browser, an e-mail client, give it a fancy theme and there you are: a distro.
Isn't that what all distro's have? Then why still compete with each other to get a few more users?

Now Debian comes with a distro release: Ubuntu forks it, Mint and so many others fork Ubuntu, Mint and the others are being forked again but the basis is still Debian who has done all the great work to release a stable OS.
Why not work with each other to produce an even better OS, an even more stable OS, an even more Safe OS? Join forces instead of fight against each other.

I strongly believe Linux will be stronger that way, more people (who are fed up with Microsoft) will chose Linux, proprietary software builders will release Linux variants of their popular software now only available on the Windows platform (for home and office), hardware suppliers will release better drivers for more hardware, Linux will be more popular and since so many programmers have worked on the basis of the distro, it is rock solid, it is safe to use, it is fast.
Isn't that what we all want?

Another thing is the release schedules. I'm glad to see that those have extended. Mint is only releasing LTS versions (maintained for 5 years) instead of having a new release every 6 months, which was ridiculous. Take time to finish your product. When it takes another month to do so then it takes another month, is that so bad? Why people want to have a new distro on a certain date? Just because the programmers have stated it will be ready on that date. Now they have to make sure it is ready. What happened? Even when it was not ready it was still released. Updates coming out the next days / weeks had to iron out the flaws. So bad. So wrong. Set a target product, set a target date and see if you can make it. If not, postpone the release date but only release a finished product.
Maybe a bit of topic, but I thought I had to write this as well.
Nilla Wafer

Post by Nilla Wafer »

A friend of a friend wrote this article about why there are so many Linux distros. It's pretty easy for a "typical user" to understand.

~nilla
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

For the most part I think Linux is better off offering so much choice. We get new ideas from different distros doing their own thing.
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S »

I liken it to an ice cream parlor:

If you walked in and they had just two flavors, chocolate and vanilla, you would not be very impressed and probably walk out.

If they had 25-50 selections, you'd probably find something you like in a short amount of time.

If they had over 200 selections, you'd be overwhelmed by the number of choices, hold up the line for everyone else, and be turned off by the ones that aren't selling because they're all freezer burned and nasty looking. :mrgreen:
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

Return to “Chat about Linux”