Linux desktop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexon

Linux desktop

Post by lexon »

Does not mean anything to me but some here might or might not care.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/w ... picks=true

Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Linux desktop

Post by coffee412 »

There is a very good reason why Linux Mint is so popular and growing. However, datamation just doesnt get it. If they want a task oriented desktop they can go out and make one themselves.

Isnt it really so wonderful when people start telling you how to do things? At that point you end up like Microsoft. lol.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Interesting idea re: task-oriented desktop, but is this really a problem that needs solving? The writer keeps talking about being "overwhelmed" by the number of applications on the system. I can't recall a time when this was a problem for me.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

H.Remedy wrote:The writer keeps talking about being "overwhelmed" by the number of applications on the system. I can't recall a time when this was a problem for me.
Some people are easily overwhelmed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

H.Remedy wrote:Interesting idea re: task-oriented desktop, but is this really a problem that needs solving?
Wasn't this "problem" solved in 1995 with Microsoft Bob? A solution in search of a problem that created a problem needing a solution if there ever was one.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

My god.... I wouldn't want to use a task-oriented desktop if they paid me to.

Well, that is, if the amount of money would be very substantial, I'm willing to reconsider. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Pjotr wrote:
Well, that is, if the amount of money would be very substantial, I'm willing to reconsider. :mrgreen:
You traitor, you!

:mrgreen:
Mr.October

Post by Mr.October »

Calling Firefox "webbrowser"? How would you call Chrome and Konqueror and Opera and all the others? Webbrowser as well.
Must look nice in a menu: webbrowser, webbrowser, webbrowser, webbrowser,
How would you know which is which? Okay, there is still the icon but is that what you want?

Return to “Chat about Linux”