[Solved] Trouble in Downloading Doudoulinux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
julianvb

[Solved] Trouble in Downloading Doudoulinux

Post by julianvb »

2015-11-24

Has anyone succeeded in downloading an image file of Doudoulinux from http://download.doudoulinux.org or any other site?
Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

julianvb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Trouble in Downloading Doudoulinux

Post by jimallyn »

What happens when you click on the download link? I just did, and it is downloading now.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Moved thread to "Chat about Linux", because the question whether you are able to download a particular Linux ISO image is absolutely unrelated to Linux Mint as such.
Downloading an ISO image can be done using any old OS, be it a Linux distribution or a Windows distribution.
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

All I did was click on the download link, and chose Save. I'm using Firefox on Mint 17.2. The download stopped one time, and I had to restart it. What happens when you click the download link?

I've got it running in VirtualBox now. It's definitely made for kids. I don't see any way to install it; it must be intended to be used only as a live disk. It does have the option of running with "persistence" so that you can store your files on the hard drive.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It should download if you click on this link:

http://download.doudoulinux.org/file/li ... 2.1-en.iso
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

It should download if you click on this link:
http://download.doudoulinux.org/file/li ... 2.1-en.iso
When I click on the above link, I consistently get an 'URL not found' response. --------------- julianvb

Hi, karchen and jimallyn,

Thanks very much for your correction and suggestions. I seldom encounter troubles in downloading image files since 2008 when I first became interested in Linux. i've been working with computers of all sorts for decades. Even though my machines are old, I've upgraded all of them with new drives and optimal RAM. They appear to operate to my satisfaction.

I've spent two days trying to download doudoulinux because I've been writing some interesting Linux educational show-and-tell scripts for my soon-to-be-three twin grandchildren using pictures and text-to-speech synthesis.

I think I may get to the heart of this matter soon as I've just sent an e-mail to contact@doudoulinux.org about my strange experiences. As of this minute, My desktop is still 'downloading' the iso file. it's been three hours since I started the process.
I am equally out of luck when I try to do the same from my 2011 Dell laptop in LM17.1 except that this time the website wouldn't even react to my attempts to download. I have a hunch that there might be something wrong with my internet service.

julianvb
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Try some download manager. I prefer FatRat.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

BigEasy's suggestion to use a download manager may be a good one. I let it download for an hour or more while I was doing something else. When I looked to see how the download was going, it had stopped. I clicked on the retry button (or whatever it's called), and it resumed downloading. The download says it finished at 3:00 AM, so it must have been 2 or 3 hours all together. (Don't remember exactly what time I started the download.)
julianvb

Post by julianvb »

BigEasy and jimallyn,

I finally got it by downloading the BitTorrent version of Doudoulinux with Transmission, a light-weight BT client. Subsequently K3b accepted the iso file produced by Transmission and burned a live dvd. I found Fatrat on my machine too but didn't have time to try it. Transmission is very easy to use.

I think there is something wrong with my Compaq desktop's hardware. Out of all the live Linux distros I've tried, it accepted SugarLinux, another educational game O.S. for children and played it without any trouble. Perhaps I am over-stretching the hardware's capabilities. As for Doudoulinux, this machine could boot it up and played it briefly and then shut down. But my more modern Dell laptop plays Doudoulinux flawlessly.

Finally I would like to point out that this forum can benefit by embracing questions seemingly unrelated to Linux Mint. Actually the current thread under consideration well qualifies as a generic, typical Linux question! I was once rudely rebuffed by a long-time supporter at http://launchpad.net when I posed a Linux Mint question. He said "We don't answer Linux Mint questions here. They have their own website." Little did he realize that Ubuntu and Linux Mint are real brethren.

I hope this thread has contributed something to the forum even though it may seem irrelevent to Linux Mint.

Julianvb

Return to “Chat about Linux”