Cinnamon trouble-- 17.3 Switch to Mate ?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Cinnamon trouble-- 17.3 Switch to Mate ?

Post by mike acker »

since the last update to Cinamon -- ( 2.8.4 ) I have frequent app program crashes-- particularly NEMO -- when trying to select a new file or directory. many times NEMO goes goes POOF ! Gone !

GWENVIEW -- will darken the viewed image when an option such as rename is selected -- which uses a "drop down" dialog . at times the wrong image appears darkened... this 2.8.4 thing is unhealthy; needs to be backleveled.

since that won't happen I've ordered a new 2TB drive from NewEgg which I'll use to setup a 17.3 system -- as soon as we clear Beta. I think I'll try the Mate GUI this time
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
¡Viva la Resistencia!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon trouble-- 17.3 Switch to Mate ?

Post by austin.texas »

Mate is a fine Desktop. But you can still try 17.3 Cinnamon to see how it does on your machine.
Shoot, with a 2TB hard drive, make two 20 GB partitions and install both of them... :D
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
tolkien

Post by tolkien »

Mate is quite stable, although it does have its own little quirks sometimes.
I tried Cinnamon in the past but didn't like it so much. Going to try again when 17.3 comes out though.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

MATE is certainly nice...if Cinnamon weren't around it'd be my favourite DE. I have to admit, though, I like a lot of what Mint's done with MATE (one panel, search bar in the menu) as opposed to the normal Mate, but the white colour scheme gets on my nerves. :lol:

Do you think any of your troubles might be due to the beta nature of 17,3 (at this point) rather than Cinnamon itself? I've had Cinnamon 2,8 on LMDE Betsy for about a month now and I've had no troubles whatsoever (besides those which arise from me stubbornly running Cinnamon on an underpowered lappy). In fact, I think it's been more stable than Cinnamon 2,6. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

I will wait until the stable release and then play with Cinnamon which in fact is my favorite DE on MInt. :) However for the 17.3 release the Mate and the Xfce users are in better position than the Cinnamon users in terms of features. Am I the only one who thinks that Cinnamon 2.8 is not so feature rich compared to Cinnamon 2.6 for example? Or this is just a preparation for 3.0? :roll: Anyway I'm glad for that because a few bugs is better than a dozen of bugs. ;)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

RacerBG wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Cinnamon 2.8 is not so feature rich compared to Cinnamon 2.6 for example?
I thought that Cinnamon 2,4 and 2,6 were had more features added when compared to the previous version--particularly the improvement of cinnamon-screensaver in Cinnamon 2,6. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, though. I haven't noticed any regressions, though.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

Fred Barclay wrote:MATE is certainly nice...if Cinnamon weren't around it'd be my favourite DE. I have to admit, though, I like a lot of what Mint's done with MATE (one panel, search bar in the menu) as opposed to the normal Mate, but the white colour scheme gets on my nerves. :lol:

Do you think any of your troubles might be due to the beta nature of 17,3 (at this point) rather than Cinnamon itself? I've had Cinnamon 2,8 on LMDE Betsy for about a month now and I've had no troubles whatsoever (besides those which arise from me stubbornly running Cinnamon on an underpowered lappy). In fact, I think it's been more stable than Cinnamon 2,6. :)
I'm on MINT 17.2 ;I've not loaded the beta

the trouble started right after the last update to Cinamon -- then one that greys out the background window when a pop-up dialog is activated

i thin i should be able to roll back that update using the GRUB process, -- ?
¡Viva la Resistencia!
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

the trouble started right after the last update to Cinamon -- then one that greys out the background window when a pop-up dialog is activated
You can just disable this by going to Cinnamon Settings->Windows and on the Behavior tab turn off "Attach dialog windows to the parent window".
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Fred Barclay wrote:
RacerBG wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that Cinnamon 2.8 is not so feature rich compared to Cinnamon 2.6 for example?
I thought that Cinnamon 2,4 and 2,6 were had more features added when compared to the previous version--particularly the improvement of cinnamon-screensaver in Cinnamon 2,6. Not sure if that's what you're referring to, though. I haven't noticed any regressions, though.
I was not very clear, sorry. What I was talking about is that Cinnamon 2.8 brings more bug fixes than features compared to Cinnamon 2.6 and previews versions. ;)
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

JosephM wrote:
You can just disable this by going to Cinnamon Settings->Windows and on the Behavior tab turn off "Attach dialog windows to the parent window".
ok thanks-- i've switched that off

Dropbox also had a recent update; i'll run today with their process off; just start it when i take a break around 9
¡Viva la Resistencia!
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

i'm runnnig with those switches off this morning -- but -- Nemo still aborts on me

I may be getting close to the circumstances though to reproduce:
when an assortment of images are selected -- and then a right click is used to get the copy|move dialog--

it doesn't happen every time though -- something sets it up

i think i recall we had a recent Nemo update as well,--
¡Viva la Resistencia!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

A couple of nemo crashes were fixed and updates are pending.

nemo 2.8.5 in particular fixes a couple of these crashes https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commits/master.

Stay tuned for updates in the coming days.
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

clem wrote:A couple of nemo crashes were fixed and updates are pending.

nemo 2.8.5 in particular fixes a couple of these crashes https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commits/master.

Stay tuned for updates in the coming days.
yea!! thanks for the update !!
¡Viva la Resistencia!

Return to “Chat about Linux”