Linux..... too expensive for me (in time)

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux..... too expensive for me (in time)

Post by English Invader »

martienne wrote:But note: I am only trying to do something which in Windows: 1) I could find instructions for by a five minute google search. 2) I had no problem adapting to my setup and 3) Ended up quick and successful for Windows.

Namely re-writing the boot section for the OS on a given disk.
Is this something you actually need to do or is it something that you feel you ought to be able to do? I find that the best approach for Linux is to only make an effort to learn things when you have a specific problem to resolve rather than forcing yourself to learn everything in advance. The former makes Linux an enjoyable experience, the latter makes Linux an exercise in mental exhaustion.

Keep everything on a Problem-Solution basis and you'll make a lot more progress in the long run.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Having read the last few posts, it suddenly dawned on me why the people I have turned on to Linux haven't had troubles with it. It's because after installing, they browse the web, write letters, edit images, listen to music, play videos, and so on. They don't try to rewrite the boot sector. In fact, I doubt any of them would have any idea what "rewrite the boot sector" means. Just start using Linux. That other stuff will come later.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

While I prefer Linux I have zero problem getting my work done using Windows or OSX.
All three are different and you do things different ways on different platforms.
One thing I have seen over the years in Linux forms like this is the people who have the most problems with Linux are long time Windows professionals. They come in with deep knowledge of how Windows works and are prone to frustration and anger because Linux is different than Windows and that seems wrong when you have been living in a Windows mono-culture all your career.
I do the same thing on Linux as I did when I was using OSX but my workflow is very different on linux and it took a little bit to get that working right. It was a little rocky till I got my bearing on my new platform, but now, four youns in, my workflow is smooth as silk. I just needed to learn a thing or two along the way.
I looked at is as a learning opportunity and entertaining challenge. No point in getting angry about it.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

Martienne,

I'm not really a techie, I'm a musician. But back in the early 90's, I could use the MS-DOS command line.

And, in the process of using Linux, I've had to use Terminal (i.e., the Linux command line) a few times.

My observation is that as long as you stay in GUI-land, Linux is pretty similar to Windows, at least in distros like Mint.
BUT if you insist on digging underneath the GUI, well, it's like going to a foreign country, maybe like going to one on another continent.

I think you need to give Linux some time. Dual boot, use Linux as often as you can. Learn something new about it every day.
At some point, you will get "fluent" in Linux. But, like learning another language, it IS going to be a time intensive thing.

Also, be ready for things where there is just no equivalent.
My wife is from another country. I have learned some of her language to speak with my in-laws. A couple of times I was shocked when I asked her "How do you say that in your language?" and she said, "We don't!" :shock: They are just different, and because they are different, they think differently, and say different things. At some point, you have to accept and embrace the differences.

Linux' strong point is for servers, often corporate servers and the IT techs that run them. (Because I spend time here and on Distrowatch, Google Ads now assumes that I am an IT tech and gives me ads targeted to them! :lol: ) Windows is such a security nightmare that it hardly ever gets used for servers. Windows strong point is software for the general public. With such different basic markets, you have to expect that in some areas, Linux will be able to do things that Windows just can't... but conversely, sometimes Windows will be able to do things that Linux just can't..... YET!

We have a saying in the US: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
You want to be able to rewrite the boot sector like you do in Windows. Could it be that the reason you need to do that in Windows is because of it's vulnerability to boot sector viruses? To my knowledge, and according to a Google search, a Linux boot sector virus" does not exist.
Since the Linux boot sector doesn't get borked that way, there is no fix, since it's not needed.
On the other hand, one thing I HAVE had problems with in Linux, partly because of the dual boot setups is GRUB.
The ability to repair GRUB might be a much more useful Linux skill to have.... I wish I had it!
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

After a brief perusing of your posting history I'd say the 'issue' if that's the right phrase, is that you didn't do enough homework before you ever got started.

When I decided I wanted to try out this Linux 'thing' I spent god knows how may weeks just reading bits of articles and mooching around Ubuntu forums amongst others and when it had piqued my interest enough I looked into hardware. I decided it wasn't worth the risk of destroying my daily desktop on a whim as I would have nothing else to use, so I bought a cheap second hand IBM Thinkpad to work on after reading and researching hardware to make sure I wasn't wasting my time or my money. My first install of Ubuntu went as flawlessly as I could have hoped, only very minor issues with sound and getting 'extras' to work like DVD's that needed extra packages to make them work. I had mucked around with other distro's using the IBM as a test machine, then found Mint - first install was like a breath of fresh air, everything working SOOTB, not because I am a technical genius, but because I stacked the odds in my favour.

You started with lots of hurdles to overcome, you know that now, but hindsight's great only after the event. That's not to say 'Linux' per se is hard, just hard under the circumstances that you chose to try it on on. That's why people say ' my 98 year old mother can use it ', cos' they stacked the odds in their favour. I hope you
stick with it, or at least give it another chance on something else, I'd recommend Lenovo/IBM's and Toshiba satellites, cheap as chips, work with minimum fiddling, good luck.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Frustration is normal, if you're already a dedicated techie then meh. Each person gets to decide what's too much in terms of investment in any interest. This is obvious and goes w/o saying, though expecting to be a Nix ninja in 2.5wks imo is just outright unrealistic/silly.

A kickbutt distro like LM, attracts many nixers, from seasoned veterans, to uber noobs, it's chocked full of gui ( pointy-clicky). The devs and maintainers behind LM are very good at what they do and one of their obvious goals is to reduce the learning curve for those migrating to gnu/Linux. Just saying imo, there's no real answer to your question. You decide what's too much to invest.

However also please be aware that gnu/Linux ( and a gazillion associated open source projs) represent untold hours of time/energy/passion and outright co$t to so many people involved. Have seen it stated a person couldn't even assign a ca$h value to gnu/Linux. The literal expenditures by several major tech entities every year alone are mind numbing and to be allowed full access to these works, without expectation of payment imo also mind numbing.

After years, am a long way from a nix ninja. Doubt I'll ever scratch the surface and betting Linus Torvalds ( and people in his mega-geekdom class too) are still learning new things everyday. You're allowed to bail at any time. Nobody would have the right to think lesser of you, if that's what you decide to do.

Return to “Chat about Linux”