Which Linux Mint Distro to completely replace Windows?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which Linux Mint Distro to completely replace Windows?

Post by ganamant »

M0em wrote:
killer de bug wrote:This is not an acceptable argument as most of the users don't know how to install an OS. This is true for Windows or for any other OS.
I agree with this, but I have a general request: can we please leave all the moms, wives etc. out of this? My mother can't install an OS without help, but neither can my father. Let's stop using 'woman' as sloppy shorthand for 'non-technical person'.
I thought the last trend in political correctness was to use women as an alternative to men to make examples. Martienne wrote about:
  1. a mother: a woman, amen to that
  2. a neighbour: neutral gender, could be a man
  3. a friend: ditto, could be a man too
So, in martienne's example, we have 1 technically incompetent woman and 2 technically incompetent people that may well be men, after all.

Had Martienne written "father" instad of "mother" you could have said: "Hey, you made an example with three men, don't women exist too?"
Maik

Post by Maik »

Sorry, got a bit lost. Have we decided to replace Windows with a man or a woman?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Maik wrote:Sorry, got a bit lost. Have we decided to replace Windows with a man or a woman?
I vote for a woman then. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Madz

Post by Madz »

Well, apart from all the idiotic comments, and on topic.. When I created a live persistent USB following Spearmint steps, I was unable to boot. Got an weird error like "module x belong to user y".. Gonna recreate the stick some more times with and without persistence but I believe the issue is probably related to re-partitioning the drive..
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Madz wrote:Well, apart from all the idiotic comments, and on topic.. When I created a live persistent USB following Spearmint steps, I was unable to boot. Got an weird error like "module x belong to user y".. Gonna recreate the stick some more times with and without persistence but I believe the issue is probably related to re-partitioning the drive..
First, confirm you have a good download of the ISO. Check it's md5sum. So many errors here by new installs were related to someone installing a bad download, and it can happen all too easily.

Also, one reason I often put a FAT16 partition and then a FAT32 on second partition, is some older computers with odd BIOS rejection to booting from cdfs on a FAT32 partition on USB media, instead by having the cdfs on the second partition and the first partition ONLY a FAT variety, the BIOS will allow it to boot. I use FAT16 instead of the FAT32 to save 15-17 MB of space, since the smallest FAT16 partition is 16MB in size and smallest FAT32 is 32MB in size.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Madz wrote:@Spearmint2

I'm convinced and already preparing a USB2 stick to test it before the USB3 arrives.. Which filesystem do you recommend in USB3, I read somewhere that ext3 and ext4 burn USB2 sticks very fast, will it be the same on USB3 sticks?

Thanks.
Use FAT32 for the LIVE system. I only use EXT2 for the second partition you named casper-rw, because it doesn't use extra time reading and journaling the flashdrive. Flash drives are slow enough usually and journaling will slow it down more.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Madz

Post by Madz »

Spearmint2 wrote:First, confirm you have a good download of the ISO. Check it's md5sum. So many errors here by new installs were related to someone installing a bad download, and it can happen all too easily.

Also, one reason I often put a FAT16 partition and then a FAT32 on second partition, is some older computers with odd BIOS rejection to booting from cdfs on a FAT32 partition on USB media, instead by having the cdfs on the second partition and the first partition ONLY a FAT variety, the BIOS will allow it to boot. I use FAT16 instead of the FAT32 to save 15-17 MB of space, since the smallest FAT16 partition is 16MB in size and smallest FAT32 is 32MB in size.
Hi,

MD5 checks out. Partititon is FAT32. I believe either the problem is partition or the flash drive, as I've been reading some SanDisk sticks have boot issues..
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

this is what I use almost exclusively.

Direct from factory is sold out of most, but some are at Amazon.

I've not had problems installing various distro LIVE versions on them.
Madz

Post by Madz »

Spearmint2 wrote:this is what I use almost exclusively.

Direct from factory is sold out of most, but some are at Amazon.

I've not had problems installing various distro LIVE versions on them.
Thank you for the link, but Kingston is just not fast enough, and its value (price/quality) is pretty bad.. Same thing with their SSDs, all hype, but neither better value or performance..
http://usb.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 697vsm1779
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

the newer SD chips from Sandisk have changed identity bits on them for some Windows purpose to show up as local disk instead of removable disk and for some this interferes with using them to boot Linux from.

https://aussiestorageblog.wordpress.com ... fts-fault/

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12830

NOTE: SanDisk is beginning production of flash drives configured as fixed disk in 2012 to meet new requirements for Windows 8 Certification.

Historically, flash drives have been configured as removable disks and Windows Explorer displays them as ‘Removable Media’. Windows 8 Certification requires flash drive manufacturers to configure flash drives as fixed disks. Flash drives configured as fixed disk will show up in Windows Explorer as ‘Hard Disk Drives’. Flash drives configured as fixed disks still function the same as those configured as removable disks.

NOTE: SanDisk does NOT support configuring flash drives as bootable device for running an OS.

http://superuser.com/questions/391176/f ... -to-bootit

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4653/how ... -usb-drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nbeaOuRMIY

It comes down to this; Do you want something that does what you want, or something faster, .....which doesn't.

Try this for your Sandisk flashdrive, manually add;]

Code: Select all

live-media=removable
to the boot line during the bootup. If it works, then go to the grub.cfg file and add it there, so you won't need to manually do so the next boot.

https://tails.boum.org/support/known_issues/#index1h2

Problematic USB sticks

SanDisk

Many SanDisk USB sticks are configured by the manufacturer as a fixed disk, and not as a removable disk. As a consequence, they require removing the live-media=removable boot parameter, which is dangerous.

SanDisk Cruzer Edge 8GB
SanDisk Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 16GB, 32GB and 64GB
SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 8GB, 16GB, and 32G
SanDisk Cruzer Force 8GB
SanDisk Cruzer Glide 4GB, 8GB and 16GB
SanDisk Cruzer Switch USB 2.0 8GB and 32GB
SanDisk Cruzer USB 3.0 64GB
SanDisk Cruzer Blade 4GB, 8GB, and 32GB
SanDisk Cruzer Facet
SanDisk Cruzer Orbiter 32GB (hangs at installation time but boots fine afterwards)
SanDisk Ultra 32 GB

SanDisk had begun the production of flash drives configured as fixed disk in 2012 to meet new requirements for Windows 8 Certification, and ended it in mid-2014. The flash drives that comply with this certification will have the Windows 8 logo on their packaging. If a flash drive does not have the Windows 8 logo on its packaging, then that drive will function as a removable disk and should work with Tails.

See also ticket #6397.
martienne

Post by martienne »

MartyMint wrote: But will you be able to pick up the next instalment of the martienne show?
Can you explain what you mean by "the martienne show" please?
I got a couple of pm's from people who thought you were a bit out of line there.
(I can guess what you mean and you made your point. Hope it gave you a nice warm feeling.) :lol:
camor

Post by camor »

Just thought I'd mention that the reason I didn't try Linux sooner was because I had the impression that you needed to be an expert to use it. I'm one of those famous "Grannies" who are (supposedly) completely hopeless with computers, and it's true that when you get older you learn more slowly.
The reason I tried, first Ubuntu, and then Mint, was because I couldn't face the hassle of buying a new desktop and learning a new version of Windows (plus dealing with bloatware) all at the same time. I reckoned I couldn't lose by trying Linux on my old computer to see if it worked, and was very surprised to find how easy it was to install and use - I'm no "techie" and I found everything to be very straightforward - I can't imagine how it could be made easier.
So please Martienne stop putting prospective new users off by saying it's difficult - it isn't, except, perhaps, if you have particular needs. In my view Mint is an ideal OS for the ordinary home user without any particular technical ability - like me.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Hey camor,
If no one has said it so far, I'll be the one to say it: welcome to Mint and to the forum! I haven't seen Martienne around for a while. It's true that she had a lot of problems, but it's also true that she apparently has very specific needs and wants, and a lot of Windows knowledge that may have made things harder for her because it wasn't appliccable but still gave her the idea that things should be easy for her. I can't blame her for considering Mint troublesome, in her case. My own case is a lot more like yours though: install it, and off you go.

Happy Minting!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

I definitely agree with those who recommend the dual boot option.
That's how I transitioned from Windows XP. That way, you can try doing stuff on Linux, task by task, and program by program, with no pressure, since you CAN access Windows.
Some things transitioned easily, some not so easily.

I use a computer mostly for the Internet (Firefox) and for recording music (Audacity).
I had already started to use Firefox and Audacity on Windows, so using them on Linux Mint is a piece of cake.
I found myself going to the Windows partition less and less.

Nevertheless, for a few years, there were two things I could do on Windows XP that took me a long time to figure out how to do with Linux Mint.
One was playing and slowing down mp3s for learning purposes (I'm a musician).
The other was a computer invoice in MS Works spreadsheet format that I used once a month for billing a client.

Fortunately I made a good guess at exporting to another format that worked with the LibreOffice spreadsheet months before the Windows computer died.
And a few months ago I discovered VLC media player that has a slow down function.

So now there is officially no reason in my mind where I wish I had access to Windows. I have a third computer that has an old Windows 7 partition on it from the people that gave it to me... it's got a password on it, so I can't access it directly, but I'm sure I could find someone to make it accessible... but there really isn't any motivation to do so.
Really, when you consider how insecure Windows is, NO ONE should be accessing the internet with it- PERIOD. EVERYBODY should have a dual boot system, with Linux the one used for the internet. Linux is the BEST Windows antivirus program! :lol:
Windows would be useful if you have some specialized program for which there is no full-blown Linux equivalent, but for general purpose computing, there is very little missing from the Linux software toolkit.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

frodopogo wrote: Windows would be useful if you have some specialized program for which there is no full-blown Linux equivalent
Oh, I have some of those. But they run just fine... on Wine. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dorian_mode

Post by dorian_mode »

Madz wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm getting fed up with Windows and I need your help and advice selecting the best distro for me considering my laptop hardware and most important features for me..
The laptop is a Samsung 530U3C and specs are: i5 3317U, intel HD4000, 8Gb RAM, 500GB HDD and 24GB iSSD ExpressCache.
- Important HW functions I'd like to ensure working are: CPU clock not fixed to low or high but hybrid (a bit similar to Samsung Optimized power plan), Fn keys working, ExpressCache configured for Cache and Hibernation, for faster performance and boot, and USB 3.0.
- I use some programming tools like Odin to flash my phone, Samsung Smart Switch and others..
- I use Samsung Link to connect my laptop to my Smart TV and stream media, and I'd like to know if there's any type of allshare solution like in my Android devices..
- I play PokerStars..
- Do I need any anti-virus or firewall? What are my options? Also, I use BatteryCare to monitor my CPU and HDD temp, and personalize power plans.. Any alternative there?

In addition, I've browsed through Mint page, and I've noticed 4 different desktops available, Cinnamon, MATE, KDE and Xfce.. Is this important to me or should I just roll with Cinnamon and that's it?
The OP is asking some very specific tech questions, which unfortunately have only inflamed the old windows versus linux fire.
With the hardware described, He could literally run any Linux distro very handily. Regarding the anti-virus, many users (including me) don't bother with one. As for the firewall most if not all distro's have one, which can be configured if you want to change the default settings. Linux Mint is the only distro, I have used that tells my my system condition, relative to internal temperature. (there are likely others). The single biggest reason I use Mint is because of the Cinnamon desktop, so naturally I recommend it. Regarding the other questions, I do not have enough experience with Samsung or PokerStars to be able to help.
dorian_mode

Post by dorian_mode »

frodopogo wrote:I definitely agree with those who recommend the dual boot option.
That's how I transitioned from Windows XP. .......... EVERYBODY should have a dual boot system, with Linux the one used for the internet.
No argument here.

Return to “Chat about Linux”