Linux Support vs Microsoft Support

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
martienne

Linux Support vs Microsoft Support

Post by martienne »

The fabulous experience with Linux support is evident after 5 minutes of browsing this forum.
I came on as a completely clueless and almost panicking n00b. People have helped me every step of the way.

Compare with Microsoft "support" or even Windows forums:

"Reinstall Windows!"
"Run a full virus scan!"
"Why do you want to do that in the first place?"
"That would be a breach of the Windows license!"
"Have you applied the latest Microsoft Security update?"
"Call our helpline for only 19.99 /minute!"
"Pay to access the solution to this question."
"That's a known bug since 1998...."
"Defrag!"
"Do sfc /scannow in the command prompt"
"Your own fault because you didn't behave as Microsoft expected."
"Reinstall Windows!"

Thanks everyone who has helped me so far! I have had no response similar to any of the above. Quite the opposite.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Linux Support vs Microsoft Support

Post by BigEasy »

martienne wrote:Compare with Microsoft "support" or even Windows forums:
Absolutelly same. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?
If you afraid heard "Do sfc /scannow" then what you will say about "inxi -Fxz" (our forum lovely recommendation) ? ^)
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
martienne

Post by martienne »

BigEasy wrote:
martienne wrote:Compare with Microsoft "support" or even Windows forums:
Absolutelly same. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?
If you afraid heard "Do sfc /scannow" then what you will say about "inxi -Fxz" (our forum lovely recommendation) ? ^)
Interesting that you should zoom into the ONLY solution on that list, that sometimes actually works.
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

martienne wrote:Thanks everyone who has helped me so far! I have had no response similar to any of the above. Quite the opposite.
It is because people here are interested to help. And that changes everything.
martienne

Post by martienne »

Oh just remembered: There was actually some kid who was hanging in IRC and telling everyone to re-install Mint.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

martienne wrote:Oh just remembered: There was actually some kid who was hanging in IRC and telling everyone to re-install Mint.
Are you sure he was a kid? He could have been an MS employee... :lol:
Anyhow, reinstallation should be the final resort, not the first response. I recall telling a few people to reinstall (and I do it myself when I've been playing around and messed too much up) but those cases are few and far between. Just recently, one guy had installed with a faulty iso so there was no choice for him but to reinstall.

So glad to hear of your positive experience here! IMHO, an OS that needs as much babying as Windows when it goes wrong isn't worth calling an "operating system." What's the use if it doesn't operate? :D

Stay minty!
Fred
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

You must have hung out in the wrong WIndows forums. I am on a couple of them and it's the same as here. Many helpful people and advice.
And there is no such thing as Linux support (except Red Hat Enterprise) but there is Microsoft support. You can't call or email someone for support in Linux. You are on your own and pretty much have to depend on the online community for solutions.
Company support like MS, Apple, and Red Hat are different than online communities. :wink:
martienne

Post by martienne »

z31fanatic wrote:You must have hung out in the wrong WIndows forums. I am on a couple of them and it's the same as here. Many helpful people and advice.
And there is no such thing as Linux support (except Red Hat Enterprise) but there is Microsoft support. You can't call or email someone for support in Linux. You are on your own and pretty much have to depend on the online community for solutions.
Company support like MS, Apple, and Red Hat are different than online communities. :wink:
I have called MS in work situations, and you might as well call the talking clock!

The only reason to do it, is so that you can say to angry stakeholders "this is a known problem at Microsoft, and it's scheduled for a future release" or "they are working on identifying the problem".

Takes the pressure off me, usually, but 9 times out of 10 we end up using a workaround or dropping functionality because -- completely regardless of who you are, BP, CSFB, H&M, they are NOT going to get anything fixed on your timetable.

Having these contracts is purely to cover the butts of managers. They do next to no practical difference in my experience!

I've also never quite understood the arguments for not using "unsupported versions of Windows", usually prompting a forced and poorly planned upgrade of some department or branch. When did they ever have Microsoft actually save their butt through a support contract? In my experience - NEVER. And by the time the version is end-of-lifed, all dangerous bugs are discovered and fixed. The worst thing you'll come across is something cosmetic.
But this is a very common phenomenon in the world of corporate IT. "You can't use this version anymore because it's not supported! "

IMO - Microsoft contracts are mainly for ass-covering IT managers... Not to say this is not a useful function to fill, but it's different from what most people think the contracts are there for!

Sorry if I sound cynical but I've been through the ropes with this.

Oh -- one more thing: If you work in IT and have head-hunters call you. If you are ever called about some really bad or poorly paid job, the favourite line of the headhunters is "this organisation is a Microsoft Gold partner".
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

People make stuff up all the time.

All the time.
martienne

Post by martienne »

MartyMint wrote:People make stuff up all the time.

All the time.
People make silly comments in forums all the time.

All the time.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

You can complain about MS for many things but you can't complain about supporting their operating system. XP was supported for 13 years. That is just unheard of. Vista is still supported (though very few use it), 7 will be supported till 2020 which it will make it 11 or 12 years. That is pretty damn good in my opinion. Apple never support their releases for more than 3 or 4 years.
What Linux distros have that kind of support?
Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 »

Red Hat and Suse (SLES and SLED)
BlueKnight

Post by BlueKnight »

martienne wrote:
MartyMint wrote:People make stuff up all the time.

All the time.
People make silly comments in forums all the time.

All the time.
People hate me all the time.

All the time.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Bolle1961 wrote:Red Hat and Suse (SLES and SLED)
Right, paid enterprise support. We're talking about the average home use OS.
martienne

Post by martienne »

z31fanatic wrote:You can complain about MS for many things but you can't complain about supporting their operating system. XP was supported for 13 years. That is just unheard of. Vista is still supported (though very few use it), 7 will be supported till 2020 which it will make it 11 or 12 years. That is pretty damn good in my opinion. Apple never support their releases for more than 3 or 4 years.
What Linux distros have that kind of support?

Yeah I'm sorry, that was a long rant containing the built up frustration going back years.

I shouldn't have used innocent people in a lovely forum to vent.

And you are right -- it's great that they are still patching XP - I agree to that.

The issue is if you encounter some MS bug that is affecting a work scenario. Software you are developing, in my case.
The problem then, is that it takes them ages to find it, and they never make any commitment to a fix, not even for the very biggest corporate customers - unless it's a critical security breach (although I never personally came across that).
If you are building software you are must have the fixed version of the MS functionality while you are actually coding. So Microsoft bug = have to find a workaround or drop the functionality + Lost time and money + unhappy stakeholders.

When I worked integrating with smaller vendors they are much more attentive and flexible.
With Microsoft it feels like they just don't care, even if you've got the best corporate support package there is.

As for regular non-business users, my guess is: Reboot your computer, install the latest service pack, re-install Windows, Thank you and have a nice day!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I see. I didn't know you were talking about at corporate level support. I wouldn't know anything about that. You are probably right and I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm just a home user.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Microsoft "Support Department" calls me at home on occasion. :twisted:
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Habitual wrote:Microsoft "Support Department" calls me at home on occasion. :twisted:
It's because they care. :twisted:
martienne

Post by martienne »

Back on topic:
One thing I love about Linux "support" is all the Youtube videos.
I love watching people explaining things.

We've got 12-year-olds doing Linux videos before their voice has even broken. Really cute.
Retired people who sound like a teacher in school.
Anyone in between - including some women.

I really enjoy these videos. If you read this and you have made videos for Youtube, THANK YOU!
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

z31fanatic wrote: Right, paid enterprise support. We're talking about the average home use OS.
Centos is supported 10 years and it's free...

Return to “Chat about Linux”