Two More Converts to Linux...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theStreak

Two More Converts to Linux...

Post by theStreak »

Here's what resulted when a kid's parents tried to upgrade their Win 8 computer to Win 10...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... st13357590

:)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Two More Converts to Linux...

Post by austin.texas »

Great post ! Very funny !
Thanks !
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

My lie detector radar picked this one up 10 seconds into reading. Made up story really.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

z31fanatic wrote:My lie detector radar picked this one up 10 seconds into reading. Made up story really.
I'm curious. How did you come to that conclusion? :)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

The way it is written.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

Two more old parents with Linux.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

I read the part in quotes somewhere else a while back...can't remember where, but maybe even on this forum...so the kid probably borrowed it
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

duneelliot wrote:I read the part in quotes somewhere else a while back...can't remember where, but maybe even on this forum...so the kid probably borrowed it
lol

Yes, I remember that post. It was om here and I remember the name of the poster too but I am not revealing it. :mrgreen:
duneelliot

Post by duneelliot »

z31fanatic wrote:
Yes, I remember that post. It was om here and I remember the name of the poster too but I am not revealing it. :mrgreen:
Glad I'm not going slowly crazy...I did try looking for it, but couldn't find the thread.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

It's right here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1#p1007070

I don't get it. Why is it that Jamie, who made the original post on the Ubuntu forum that I linked to, either "made up" the story or "probably borrowed" it from someone else? It looks an awful lot like two individuals relating the exact same experience that one of them happened to witness first hand -- no lies or plagiarism needed. As for the way the article is written, it turns out that Jamie writes for his school newspaper and as such it certainly wouldn't surprise me to learn that he's also a budding author too; hence his style of writing. ;)
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

theStreak wrote: I don't get it. Why is it that Jamie, who made the original post on the Ubuntu forum that I linked to, either "made up" the story or "probably borrowed" it from someone else?
Well, lets see.
1. The dialogue and the whole story are pretty ridiculous and not believable.
2. Jamie is a 13 year old... oops, I meant to say 14 ( :lol: ) who wants to look smart on the internet by telling us that he can install and use Linux.

Do you seriously believe that a 13 year old computer running Ubuntu will be faster than a quad core with a zillion terrabytes of memory (as your friend Jamie claims :wink:) running a 2 year old operating system?
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

1. The dialogue and the whole story are pretty ridiculous and not believable.
2. Jamie is a 13 year old... oops, I meant to say 14 ( :lol: ) who wants to look smart on the internet by telling us that he can install and use Linux.
With such fine, impeccable logic as that, who could argue otherwise? :roll:
Do you seriously believe that a 13 year old computer running Ubuntu will be faster than a quad core with a zillion terrabytes of memory (as your friend Jamie claims :wink:) running a 2 year old operating system?
I'm pretty certain that Jamie wasn't trying to fool us into believing that his XP era computer could run benchmarks faster than his parent's much newer system -- and all "just to look smart". First of all, "faster" or "slower" is from his mother's perspective and not his. He was simply relating how his mom experienced the two systems. Re-read both the Ubuntu post and Nilla's LM post to see what I mean. Who is it exactly that's stating that one system is "faster" than the other? It's not Jamie. Secondly, when his mom said that one computer ran faster in comparison with the other, obviously, we don't have the benefit of knowing the criteria she used to make this assessment. All we know for certain is that she at least perceived an improvement in her being able to get her work done using Jamie's 13 year old computer running Linux. Now, in Jamie's Ubuntu forum post (which I originally linked to), when he tells us that "they thought I was some kind of computer wizard or something because that old thing was zipping along so fast and easy," again, the comparison is from mom and dad's perspective, not Jamie's. What's more, the comparison is being made to his parent's first computer -- the specs of which we, the reader know absolutely nothing about, because Jamie never once told us how his parent's original computer (the one they brought to the computer store) was spec'd. At this point, they hadn't yet even received the Windows 10 computer...

Perhaps the kid wasn't able to write to such a high degree of perfection to satisfy your own inherent suspicions but I see no capital crime committed here. Give the kid a break, will ya? ;)
Last edited by theStreak on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

True or false ???
It made me laugh, and that is all that matters to me.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

theStreak wrote:
I'm pretty certain that Jamie wasn't trying to fool us into believing that his XP era computer could run benchmarks faster than his parent's much newer system -- and all "just to look smart". First of all, "faster" or "slower" is from his mother's perspective and not his. He was simply relating how his mom experienced the two systems. Re-read both the Ubuntu post and Nilla's LM post to see what I mean. Who is it exactly that's stating that one system is "faster" than the other? It's not Jamie. Secondly, when his mom said that one computer ran faster in comparison with the other, obviously, we don't have the benefit of knowing the criteria she used to make this assessment. All we know for certain is that she at least perceived an improvement in her being able to get her work done using Jamie's 13 year old computer running Linux. Now, in Jamie's Ubuntu forum post (which I originally linked to), when he tells us that "they thought I was some kind of computer wizard or something because that old thing was zipping along so fast and easy," again, the comparison is from mom and dad's perspective, not Jamie's. What's more, the comparison is being made to his parent's first computer -- the specs of which we, the reader know absolutely nothing about, because Jamie never once told us how his parent's original computer (the one they brought to the computer store) was spec'd. At this point, they hadn't yet even received the Windows 10 computer...

Perhaps the kid wasn't able to write to such a high degree of perfection to satisfy your own inherent suspicions but I see no capital crime committed here. Give the kid a break, will ya? ;)
If you really believe that story, then I don't know what to tell you.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

austin.texas wrote:True or false ???
It made me laugh, and that is all that matters to me.
You're right, it was so silly and ridiculous but it still made me laugh.
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

If you really believe that story, then I don't know what to tell you.
You mean the story I linked to above about this kid named Jamie who said that his mother was unhappy with her computer and she preferred using his instead? Did you even read my prior post in which I explained in some detail your obvious misunderstanding(s) of the story?
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

@z31fanatic: You know, I simply wanted to understand how you came to your conclusion, and as I seem to be getting absolutely no where in the process and I really don't care to engage in a pissing contest over this, let's both just forget that I even asked my question in the first place. Who cares what either of us believes re. this anyway? At least we can (hopefully) agree on liking Linux Mint. :)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Add to the fact that the original post on Ubuntu Forums included some fairly vile racist sentiments by the author...which was later scrubbed by the mods an hour or so after posting.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

theStreak wrote:@z31fanatic: You know, I simply wanted to understand how you came to your conclusion, and as I seem to be getting absolutely no where in the process and I really don't care to engage in a pissing contest over this, let's both just forget that I even asked my question in the first place. Who cares what either of us believes re. this anyway? At least we can (hopefully) agree on liking Linux Mint. :)
It's all good. Not sure why you felt to say anything. I am not offended or upset. It's nothing.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

MartyMint wrote:Add to the fact that the original post on Ubuntu Forums included some fairly vile racist sentiments by the author..
Never saw it. What was it?

Return to “Chat about Linux”