Not sure what to think about Ubuntu?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darjeeling
Level 2
Level 2

Not sure what to think about Ubuntu?

Post by darjeeling »

Hi all,

First of all I know that Ubuntu is Mint´s "Big Brother" and therefore we should not use too harsh criticism. However, after using Ubuntu a short while I really feel frustrated and I would like to share my opinion with other peoples’ one – and if these issues are really happing frequently or it is maybe my problem.

Giving a brief explanation, I am still quiet new with Linux and after trying (and loving) Mint I still wanted to check and compare it to other main distros.

Naturally one of the distros I´ve tried and was playing around is Ubuntu (tried the LTS versions and the newest version 15.10). But after a short while I felt really disappointed. Even though I don´t dislike the interface of Unity, the launcher and the big icons I feel like the system is less stable than Windows Vista. …..frequently freezing, crashing or even breaking. Issues which never happened with Mint.

As an example, latest the whole Software Center did break, the launcher bar disappeared and there were no way to fix it, or at least no one in the Ubuntu forum who could help me.

Besides, I am still wondering why at this stage there are still no hot corners out of the box built in. I have setup Compiz and Tweak, but they are not stable and do not work anymore after rebooting.

I really would appreciate your comments, feedback and opinions!

Best !!
Darjeeling
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Not sure what to think about Ubuntu?

Post by Pjotr »

Ubuntu 14.04 should be just as stable as Mint 17.x.... Unity is quite stable as well, in my experience. I don't like Unity, but I've never had stability problems with it.

Compiz has always been unstable and unreliable; a nice toy to play with, but totally unfit if you want a stable system.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Canonical attempted and still attempts to bring order out of chaos in Linux on the desktop. I don't know if they succeeded or created more chaos but if you want to see what life would have been like without Ubuntu install Fedora.

Anyway, there are at last count 1,687,425 other distros ( that may be a wee bit of an exaggeration ) that build off of Ubuntu to make their own.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

altair4 wrote:if you want to see what life would have been like without Ubuntu install Fedora.
Well, I've never seen such beautiful graphic art as in Fedora 7 (I still miss it a bit): :mrgreen:

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

It might help if you gave us a bit more information about the hardware you're using. I've used both Mint and Ubuntu on and off for the last 18 months and, if anything, Ubuntu is more stable and certainly more compatible with the software I use. Mint runs a bit faster but I've found that a lot of the emulators I use tend to crash upon entering/exiting full screen mode and Wine is also a lot more reliable on Ubuntu.

My experience is based on using a Radeon HD5450 graphics card with an open source driver. I don't know if I would get better results on Mint with a proprietary driver or a different graphics card but I'm fairly confident that it's down to things specific to Ubuntu that Mint can't replicate.
jahid

Post by jahid »

In my experience Unity is pretty much stable though it doesn't give a good feel to the users. And 14.04 is stable too. I have been using Xubuntu 14.04 (Ubuntu+XFCE) from when it came to be and it's performance is flawless whatsoever.

I am guessing you did some mistakes somewhere or something like that or may be a hardware incompatibility :?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Ubuntu is OK, but I wouldn't want to use it every day. I had it installed on one of my computers so I could support friends that use it, and I use it on one of the church's computers, but for every day use, I prefer Mint.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

I agree with English invader, I too would like to know what hardware your using.
darjeeling
Level 2
Level 2

Post by darjeeling »

Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: B85M-D3V version: x.x Bios: American Megatrends version: F1 date: 08/16/2013
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4570 CPU (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 25540.2
Clock Speeds: 1: 3572.625 MHz 2: 3577.750 MHz 3: 3597.00 MHz 4: 3564.500 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Desktop GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Realtek RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter driver: rtl8192cu usb-ID: 003-004
IF: wlan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 620.1GB (1.4% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 120.0GB
2: id: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID: / size: 104G used: 7.9G (8%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.15GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap
RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 191 Uptime: 1 min Memory: 445.8/7864.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I agree that Linux Mint is more stable than the Ubuntu it is based on, because Ubuntu pushes unnecessary updates without reviewing them. I was an Ubuntu user for many years, running multiple machines on dual boot Windows/Ubuntu or just Ubuntu. I got tired of "security updates" (usually kernel updates) crashing my computers multiple times a year. Sometimes the kernel could be rolled back, sometimes not. And each time a computer crashed, my family blamed me for their lost data. I got tired of it this year after Ubuntu knowingly pushed a kernel update that Canonical knew would crash computers using a certain proprietary fglrx driver and that affected the LTS version too, so I researched other Linux distros and tried a couple.

I was so turned off to Ubuntu that at first I did not consider Mint since I knew it was based on Ubuntu. So I tried OpenSUSE, which did not work well at all on the computer I tried it on. Then I tried Mint and liked it enough to make the switch several months ago. I've yet to see a crash on Mint that could not be "fixed" by restarting the computer with the varying 4-5 computers I've been using during this time.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that Ubuntu usually works right as soon as it is installed. What I don't appreciate is the spying by Canonical on their default settings, and the occasional updates that cause crashes.
JayKay3OOO

Post by JayKay3OOO »

Ubuntu went bad when unity came in.

Gnome 3 I can just about accept. It's really good that unity is there for people who want it, but as far as helping Windows users migrate a first stop in Mint is safer. Last time I checked Ubuntu still did not have 'restricted' codecs or libdvdcss for reading standard copy protected DVDs. Such a turn off for noobs as an out of box experience.

Cinnamon feels more coherent than KDE and gnome 3 is nicer than unity. There is still many times in KDE where you get some windows that render in different themes.

I think it's important for above average users to understand the basic terminal apt commands found mostly in debian based distros (apt-get install unity) for those times when the software centre crashes or you want to queue more than 5 or 6 bits of software when the gui has a habit of falling over.

Didn't notice any stability issues with Unity when I last used it though.

As for people chatting about fedora I loved using it, but debian deb based linux seems to have a wider range of software.

Return to “Chat about Linux”