(Solved)Cinnamon on Zorin?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdiemer

(Solved)Cinnamon on Zorin?

Post by mdiemer »

Does anyone know how to put Cinnamon DE on Zorin? I was able to put it on Ubuntu, but there doesn't seem to be any info anywhere on whether it can be put on Zorin.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cinnamon on Zorin?

Post by xenopeek »

Moved here as this isn't about Linux Mint. Perhaps better asked in the Zorin forums. Though I guess they are pretty much set in their ways as to what the desktop environment on Zorin should be.
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

Zorin is a good beginner distro but what would be the advantage of installing Cinnamon on it?
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

I am comparing three OS's: Mint, Ubuntu and Zorin. Whichever I settle on (and I may keep all three), I want it to have the aero look.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint and Zorin are both based on Ubuntu. Seems to be a pointless exercise to compare them for anything other than their default desktop environments. Hardware compatibility and such is identical between the three.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

That's helpful, to know that hardware compatibility is the same. You're right, I am comparing mainly as to the desktop. I realize that is not important to some. To me, it is.
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

If you only want to test different Desktop environments you could try using a VirtualBox to try various distros without messing up your main system.... or you could check out Youtube there are many videos showing different Desktop environments. My favorites are Cinnamon and XFCE desktop environments.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

I've decided to let Zorin be Zorin. I'll be content with the mini-aero effect that it already has (on the bottom bar). Now that I have installed Mint cinnamon on the same drive, I can compare them head to head. At this point, I am looking more for stability than looks. My Ubuntu (on another drive) keeps crashing. and today Zorin crashed. It may be because I put Cinnamon on Ubuntu, and attempted to do so on Zorin. It may make more sense to be content with having it on Mint, where it lives natively and thus is more stable. So far, so good, no crashes on Mint. It feels stable. Time will tell.

Return to “Chat about Linux”