Thank you for making Cinnamon desktop

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Przemek

Thank you for making Cinnamon desktop

Post by Przemek »

After a week of use I can say without doubt it really grows on me. It really makes me think - that's how it should be done. Simple to use, not convoluted, with a design-thinking (does not feel like an attempt to "glue" several disconnected ideas together) and at the same time easy to customize to your needs. It also has all the tools installed by default that other DEs often require to install manually (a menu editor for situations when you use an app that does not come in a nice package, tweak tools...).
A pleasure to use - my hats to the devs.

And a funny thing is I almost overlooked it. A year ago, when I've been making the switch and checking various distros and desktop environments I ruled Cinnamon out - at first look I didn't enjoy it due to default theme and "windowsy" default arrangement (I'm "prefer better design choices" kind of guy). Only recently I've re-discovered it. New version of the app I use at work struggles on Gnome (has some interface issues) so I've started re-checking the alternatives. Initially I wanted to add Xfce to my Fedora install , but due to some strange things with installing package groups I got Cinnamon instead. And damn, I'm happy I did - this time I've spent some time tweaking it and with some theme switching , moving the bar to the top and adding 2-3 applets I got super nice system in just a couple of minutes. Love it!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
HanoverFiste

Re: Thank you for making Cinnamon desktop

Post by HanoverFiste »

IK,R? Truly a thing of beauty. Hip, hip! to the good folks putting all this well-spent effort into Cinnamon!
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I agree about Cinnamon. I really didn't care for the other Mint desktops. If it weren't for Cinnamon, I'd be using some other flavor of Linux.
mdiemer

Post by mdiemer »

I tried Mate two years ago and ditched it. Cinnamon is the reason I am back on Mint. Although I am also running Zorin and Ubuntu (the latter with Cinnamon DE). Whichever turns out to be more stable on my system (always that caveat) will be what I stay with.

Return to “Chat about Linux”