Downloading Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
larry316

Downloading Linux

Post by larry316 »

Can I download the latest version of Linux to the cheap laptops using chrome OS? Can I still use the dual boot feature?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Downloading Linux

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint only works on x86 and x86-64 processor architectures. Many Chromebooks use ARM processor architectures instead. Even if you find one that use x86 or x86-64, it's not a done deal that all the hardware will work with Linux Mint and installation processes will be complex. Google "chromebook dual boot ubuntu" to find tutorials. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is compatible with Linux Mint 17.x so you can generally adopt tutorials for the former.
larry316

Post by larry316 »

Thanks for the information.
larry316

Post by larry316 »

I read Google "chromebook dual boot ubuntu" Let me explain my situation. I was using my old Dell desktop,which had a motherboard failure. I loved using Linux which has many of the features of my MacBook Pro(which I am using to respond to these chats) I wanted to purchase a cheap laptop and install Linux. As I understand ubuntu is still Linux. Is this correct?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

As I understand ubuntu is still Linux. Is this correct?
Technically, I think, "linux" is actually the kernel, to which one can add other components - desktop and such - to make a usable OS or "distro". And in fact Mint is mostly Ubuntu, so yes.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
larry316

Post by larry316 »

I just purchased an Acer Chromebook 11. I admit I am still confused about downloading Linux or ubuntu. I don't know much about my Acer Chromebook 11. Any help would be appreciated.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

Return the Chromebook and dual boot Linux in your Macbook :wink:
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

larry316 wrote:I just purchased an Acer Chromebook 11. I admit I am still confused about downloading Linux or ubuntu. I don't know much about my Acer Chromebook 11. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi larry316. I think you may be confusing the term "linux" with "linux mint".

"Linux" is actually a kernel, not an operating system. A kernel is a set of code that forms the backbone of an operating system--Windows has a kernel, Mac OS X has a kernel, and so on. However, a kernel in and of itself is not enough to run a computer with, so the Linux kernel was combined with software developed by the GNU group to create code that could actually run a computer and named GNU/Linux.
Then other groups took that code and modified it to form what are known as "distros*"--versions of GNU/Linux that make running GNU/Linux easier. For example, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, and Linux Mint are all distros. Some distros, such as Debian, are based directly on GNU/Linux. Other distros are piggy-backed onto another distros. For example, Ubuntu is based on Debian.

Linux Mint is a distro based on Ubuntu, which is in turn based on Debian, which is developed from GNU/Linux. So when you download Linux Mint, you don't exactly download "linux." Instead, you download a linux distro, just as you would if you downloaded Ubuntu or Debian.

Hopefully I haven't confused you! ;)

*short for "distributions".
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

Here are some links I found with google for installing Linux on a chromebook

Specifically Chromebook 11... https://samsclass.info/128/proj/chromebooks.htm

May or may not work on Chromebook 11 but easier to do ... https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/7 ... th-crouton
larry316

Post by larry316 »

I was hoping to find a way I could just create an app on chromebook I only want to run a program called EliStudio(an APL like language). I don't need a dual boot capability. I will keep looking at the links that you referenced.[quote][/quote]
larry316

Post by larry316 »

xenopeek wrote:Linux Mint only works on x86 and x86-64 processor architectures. Many Chromebooks use ARM processor architectures instead. Even if you find one that use x86 or x86-64, it's not a done deal that all the hardware will work with Linux Mint and installation processes will be complex. Google "chromebook dual boot ubuntu" to find tutorials. Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is compatible with Linux Mint 17.x so you can generally adopt tutorials for the former.
What is the latest level of Linux with dual boot capability that I can get to put on my wife's Toshiba that is running windows 10? She only uses gmail and searches the internet. Is there any documentation I can read before attempting this?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

For that, Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop might very well be a good option. You can read about it here: http://www.linuxmint.com and here: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
larry316

Post by larry316 »

M0em wrote:For that, Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop might very well be a good option. You can read about it here: http://www.linuxmint.com and here: http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
Thanks for the information.
I have another question if you don't mind
I downloaded a package to my Dell computer called abc2midi.
The Synaptic PackageManager shows that it was downloaded.
I have no idea on how I can get to use it.
All I wanted to do was be able to listen to midi files I created.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Has the program appeared on your menu? It may be in the category Other.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

MIDI players
To hear the output of abc2midi, you will need a MIDI player. You can find MIDI players and other software at Harmony-Central.
http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/original/
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
larry316

Post by larry316 »

austin.texas wrote:
MIDI players
To hear the output of abc2midi, you will need a MIDI player. You can find MIDI players and other software at Harmony-Central.
http://abc.sourceforge.net/abcMIDI/original/
I installed abcmidi and abcmidi-yaps as the documentation you posted. I am a newbie and don't how to see it. Do I have to use a terminal command to be able to use these packages?
Thanks for any help
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

larry316, do you have abc files that you wish to convert to MIDI? That's what abc2midi does. If you want to listen to MIDI files, you need a MIDI player. There are several in the Mint repositories.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
larry316

Post by larry316 »

jimallyn wrote:larry316, do you have abc files that you wish to convert to MIDI? That's what abc2midi does. If you want to listen to MIDI files, you need a MIDI player. There are several in the Mint repositories.
I have the abc files but I don't know how to to get to abc2midi.
larry316

Post by larry316 »

larry316 wrote:
jimallyn wrote:larry316, do you have abc files that you wish to convert to MIDI? That's what abc2midi does. If you want to listen to MIDI files, you need a MIDI player. There are several in the Mint repositories.
I have the abc files but I don't know how to to get to abc2midi.
Sorry to bother everyone,but I got it to work by using the Terminal
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

No bother, that's what we're here for. Glad you got it working.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Chat about Linux”