I'm a noob that did a speech on Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

So as the title claims, I did a speech about Linux in my public speaking class. It was meant to be an informative piece, and I oversimplified a lot of things. Some people seemed interested and my professor even asked if I could install Linux on a computer of their's.

The noob part of this topic stems from the fact that I have only been messing around with Linux since about June-ish. Naturally (considering I'm here), my experience with Linux is limited to Cinnamon, Ubuntu unity, and XFCE.

Yes there is a point, yes I'm getting to it.

I had to choose a topic for my informative speech that I could also turn into a "persuasive" speech. So if you haven't put two and two together, I will eventually be persuading people to use Linux.

Of course I know first-hand how awesome it is to ditch windows, but for this speech I am going to need actual research. I have a limited amount of time, so I need to figure out which 'areas' to discuss (privacy, ease of use, etc), and how I should approach the topic (pro linux? anti windows? etc).

I'm capable of doing this whole thing myself, but I figured there would be people here who might have read some awesome articles that I might be able to use, maybe articles that inspired you to switch to Linux.

Of course, it's a one-sided speech, not a debate. I can say whatever I want to these people. I just want to make the speech fun and easy to follow. I don't know how riled up I can get people to be against windows when 70% of my classmates use Macbooks. I have almost ZERO experience with OS X.

Anyway, I am open to any suggestions anyone might have. As inexperienced as I am I figured it couldn't hurt to introduce Linux to people who might have otherwise never heard of it. Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: I'm a noob that did a speech on Linux

Post by z31fanatic »

Jaydemir wrote:
Of course, it's a one-sided speech, not a debate. I can say whatever I want to these people. I just want to make the speech fun and easy to follow. I don't know how riled up I can get people to be against windows when 70% of my classmates use Macbooks.
70% of the students using Macbooks means none of them will care what you have to say. It is extremely rare to see someone switch from Mac OS to Linux.

And don't be super biased and one sided. That's not the way to convince people about switching to a different platform. If you are going to sound like a salesman, I would just ignore yu if I were in the audience.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Jaydemir wrote:I need to figure out which 'areas' to discuss (privacy, ease of use, etc), and how I should approach the topic (pro linux? anti windows? etc).
How about discussing all the topics out there that don't affect Linux?

Viruses
Infections
Spyware
Trojans
Adware
Jeepty

Post by Jeepty »

Take a look at this link
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
This will give you some insight into why security is so great with Linux.
Tiamarth

Post by Tiamarth »

Jaydemir wrote:how I should approach the topic (pro linux? anti windows? etc)
I find it's generally best to be as objective as possible with this kind of discussion. If you only point out flaws in Windows and talk about why Linux is great, some people may quickly lose interest. Of course, if your goal is to ultimately convince people to use Linux, maybe lean a bit toward Linux.

I'm about as new to Linux as you, and I've been going out of my way to learn as much about it as possible. In that regard, I have three Youtube videos to recommend that I personally found exceptionally informative.

1) Why I Use GNU/Linux and Why I Avoid Using Windows - Chris Were Digital
2) Windows is AWESOME! - Bryan Lunduke
3) "Linux Sucks" - 2014 - Bryan Lunduke (really any of the "Linux Sucks" videos by Bryan Lunduke are interesting)

Good luck with your speech ~
Jeepty

Post by Jeepty »

Tiamarth wrote:If you only point out flaws in Windows and talk about why Linux is great, some people may quickly lose interest.

I agree with Tiamarth. I would attack it from a "have you ever thought about an alternative to windows?" point of view. And then move on to point out that there is a "free, and more secure OS out there called linux". I would talk about why Linuxmint is great but perhaps stay silent on what is wrong with windows. Windows users will most likely draw comparisons between what you are saying and their own experiences. For example, if you say "a linux install does not need virus software" they will think about how they do. Or if you say "linuxmint updates are quick and easy" windows users will think about how their OS locks them out of their own computer for updates on a regular basis.

I would even point out some similarities between linux and mac. For instance, they are both Unix based systems. Yes, that's right. All of those slick apple devices are based on code that was created in the 70s.

http://www.wired.com/2013/08/jordan-hubbard/

To wrap it all up, search these forums for free open source alternatives to mainstream software. Such as Libre instead of MS office, gimp instead of photoshop, etc. This would be a good time to point out that if someone is hopelessly addicted to a windows program like Microsoft office, then they should stick with windows. And Gamers as well, I run plenty of windows based games on mint, but it is not always the easiest task.

And finally, bill linux as an alternative to MS windows, and not a "free" windows. I've read posts from folks who were expecting the same user experience as Windows, except now for free as linux, and were angry and bitter about it.

Jeepty
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

In terms of approach.. I agree that attacking Windows is not going to help your case. People get defensive. Also, yeah, forget converting Mac users. They are wedded to their Macs. So you are going to have to to be limited in your objectives.

The best thing I reckon you can do is eliminate the preconceptions about Linux. I KNOW the general public are convinced that:

Linux is a hacker only operating system (and originally it was! Torvalds described it back in 1992 as a hacker OS for hackers.)
Therefore, they believe…

Linux is a DIY OS
It's really had to install software and you have to compile from sources
There is no usable GUI and everything has to be done via the command line
There is no usable software for Linux.

So I would work on overturning those preconceptions. I doubt you will get converts but you can raise the profile of Linux from a 'poor man's/hacker OS' to a credible OS.

I would NOT go on about security as users just don't care about it. If they did, people would have been rioting against Microsoft years ago. I have none Windows machine riddled with virsues and the users have shrugged and carried on regardless! Talking about security also makes Linux sound, again, like a hackers concern and makes Linux out to be an OS for techies only. Besides, with 70% os your c;ass being smug Mac users, they will laugh at the very notion that security is an issue for them. I would mention that Linux is far more secure than Windows but not dwell on it. It's a very low priority for general users.

What users want most of al is EASE OF USE. In fact, the majority of people hate computers and use them only as a necessity. That's why laptop/desktop sales are falling off the roof. Chromebooks, tablets and smartphones have pretty much taken over from the desktop. People like using cellphone and not laptops. I know people who have basically junked their laptop for their smartphone!

So, I would pitch at the chief concerns of most users. I mean, that's what I have done up to now. The chief concerns of users are:

1) Is it easy to use? This the NUMBER ONE issue with people who are convinced Linux is a tchie OS. I would introduce the fact you can change your UI and show the Unity interface - "You can make your laptop behave a smartphone! Believe it or not, that's a selling point. May users actually love the Unity interface! But emphasise the OS is NOW designed for ease of use.
2) Can I communicate? Will Linux give me Facebook, skype, chat. Do not under estimate the need to communicate for females! Computers were pretty much a no-sell to women at home until the internet exploded. Then I was swamped by women wanting a laptop "For the internet." Now it's a laptop "For facebook." Yeah, the internet has reduced to facebook for many.
3) Can I watch "The walking dead" online.
4) Can I run 'Office' and 'Photoshop.' (No, but you don't need to and you don't need to pay a monthly fee to read and write office documents.)
5) Can I play games? Real games? That's one for the guys! Fiddly because Steam is still catching up but it is getting there.

Most users do not care about installing software because they get their techie friends to install the software for them. But it is worth pointing out that is really easy to install software - people are CONVINCED that you have to compile from source in Linux!

Then I would mention security and other stuff but AFTER covering the above - assuming you have not already done so. Only, I speak from bitter experience, the above is what the average user wants. Also, with Mac users you are facing the seriously technically disinclined and so the IT literacy of your audience is likely to be very low so you have to pitch at a non-technical level. The moment you sound like a techie you will re-enforce the stereotype of Linux as a hacker only OS!

And remember the marketing adage, "Never sell the product! Sell the benefits of the product!" Don't talk about proper multi-tasking, light on system resources, designed for multiple users, security, etc. You'll just sound like a techie. Emphasise what Linux DOES for the user and how easy it is. With evidence! Never present anything in a persuasive piece without evidence. [I am a teacher of critical reasoning skills! No evidence - no case!] And for most users it means Facebook, movies and games! Productivity is secondary but office suites will be of interest.

OK, oit of time, gotta fly! Good luck!
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Jaydemir

Post by Jaydemir »

I appreciate the feedback! I'm still awaiting on instructions about the assignment but this will definitely be useful.

Return to “Chat about Linux”