Preferences system app/ Menu applet on Fedora 22

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jacq

Preferences system app/ Menu applet on Fedora 22

Post by Jacq »

Hi!

I use the Cinnamon environment with the Fedora distro 22, kernel 4.2.3-202.
Recently, I updated the kernel from version 4.1.10 -202 to the new version 4.2.3-202 and then, the "Preferences system" app and the "Menu" applet provided by Cinnamon become unavailable and do not launch from the menu bar. Also, the "Menu" applet cannot be configured. I ought to precise that the Preferences system app in Cinnamon differs from the one displayed and used with the specific Gnome environment of Fedora. So, how to solve this issue likely due to the kernel update?

Thanks

Jacq
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Preferences system app/ Menu applet on Fedora 22

Post by xenopeek »

Better asked in this Fedora forum I think: http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/forum ... .php?f=134

There are several issues reported from Fedora on Cinnamon, perhaps some describes the same: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues.
Jacq

Post by Jacq »

Hello Xenopeek,

Unfortunately, I reported this issue on Fedora forums but no replies; nothing...!!!
So the decision to post this issue directly on Cinnamon forums since it appears to be a problem coming from the relation between Fedora and Cinnamon.
Alternatively, what are the specific files which can be used in a Terminal window with unix command lines to launch the Cinnamon applets "Preferences systems" and the configuration of the "Menu" applet?
I did not really identify them in the folders tree.
I could test them directly avoiding clicking on the corresponding icons in the menu bar.

Thanks

Jacq
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Jacq wrote:Cinnamon forums
These are the Linux Mint support forums, which have sections for various desktop environments as available on Linux Mint editions.

To launch System Settings from the terminal use the command:

Code: Select all

cinnamon-settings
To launch the menu configuration:

cinnamon-settings applets menu@cinnamon.org
At least on Linux Mint with latest Cinnamon. On Fedora or another Cinnamon version it may be different. It's a Python launcher script that launches the Python application in /usr/lib/cinnamon-settings.
Jacq

Post by Jacq »

Thank you Xenopeek,

Here is what I obtained with the unix commands you indicated:

[user@pc2 ~]$ cinnamon-settings applets menu@cinnamon.org
Python module
/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/PIL/Image.py:81: RuntimeWarning: The _imaging extension was built for another version of Pillow or PIL
  warnings.warn(str(v), RuntimeWarning)
The _imaging extension was built for another  version of Pillow or PIL
[user@pc2 ~]$
What does it mean?
Do I need to reinstall the python-pillow or python3-pillow packages? They come come from the @system repository.
Only the Python 2.7.10 is activated.

Nevertheless, I remember that I tried to install PIL 1.1.7. Perhaps the installation was really not perfect...
Thus, I tried to remove PIL with the unix command:

sudo dnf remove python-imaging
Unfortunately, a list of 89 packages need to be removed jointly (apparently)! And, I need to keep a lot of them.
Among this list, the package python-pillow appears.
So, what could be right command to avoid of full removing.

Also, I tried the following command:

sudo dnf reinstall python-imaging
And it works!!!
The problem is solved!!!

Many thanks Xenopeek for the unix commands you indicated me.

Jacq

Return to “Chat about Linux”