AMD Drivers

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oba123

AMD Drivers

Post by oba123 »

For those using an AMD graphics card, what drivers do you prefer to use? Proprietary or open source drivers.

I currently use the latest proprietary driver but heard that open source has come a long way and is catching up in performance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Re: AMD Drivers

Post by English Invader »

I use a Radeon HD5450 and I've always been happy with the default open source driver. My last attempt to install a proprietary driver didn't end well.

I use my system for games (Steam, emulators, open source and the odd Windows game through Wine) and the open source driver hasn't given me any problems.

On the whole, I think I trust open source support over half-hearted support from a company that can be, and often is, dropped at a moment's notice.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

What English Invader said...
Same here.
Radeon HD 6550D
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
oba123

Post by oba123 »

Do the fan profiles work correctly with open source? Before I installed the AMD proprietary drivers the fans would spin at full speed. Is there something I forgot to do? It was like this by default from a clean install of Linux.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Open-source!
I'd prefer to use or at least try the proprietary driver, but my card is too old and AMD apparently doesn't offer the driver any more. :(

Code: Select all

fred@aussie! ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS690M [Radeon Xpress 1200/1250/1270]
           bus-ID: 01:05.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1280x800@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.3.2 Direct Rendering: Yes
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I use the stable proprietary drivers for AMD, but only because my kids love minecraft and minecraft is more stable on the proprietary drivers in my experience.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

Back when I was using Nvidia it was always with the proprietary driver. However, since switching to AMD I now use the open source drivers and have had no issues. I only play fairly simple stuff on the PC, such as emulators and some Steam stuff, but it's been great and I would not switch. I was recommended here to use the Oibaf PPA and this is great, but it does update very often.

Return to “Chat about Linux”