Expected KDE 5 release

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arjot

Expected KDE 5 release

Post by arjot »

Hey guys
I am using linux mint 17.2 kde version on my laptops
I was thinking about installing KDE 5 on my laptop. Is Kubuntu a good option?
When can we expect kde 5 in linux mint?
Also I wanted to know how i can install a new linux distro without removing my data?
I have created a root partition and home partition separately. Can u guys give me a step by step guidefor that?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Expected KDE 5 release

Post by xenopeek »

I don't see KDE 5 on the roadmap currently; it was there earlier to be researched. May mean it's on target for Linux Mint 17.3 or it was decided after research to not be a good fit on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS package base and will be delayed till Linux Mint 18 due mid next year (which switches to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS). Given the amount of work involved to build and package all the KDE software, and that KDE 4 is supported and stable (meeting the needs of most Linux Mint KDE users), I think the latter.

There used to be PPAs available you could use to add KDE 5 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. These have been removed. If you want KDE 5 you'll have to install one of the development releases of Ubuntu (or Kubuntu). You won't find KDE 5 on a stable release of Ubuntu till 16.04 LTS (so, April next year).

Moved to Chat about Linux as you're asking about other distros.
pacho37

Re: Expected KDE 5 release

Post by pacho37 »

Indeed, according to Clem Plasma 5 will be first used in LM 18: 'I think we’ll switch to Plasma 5 with Linux Mint 18 and keep the proven KDE 4 for 17.3.' (http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2920)
In the meantime, you can either pimp your KDE 4 so much it looks like Plasma 5 by applying various themes, icon sets, buttons etc. or test Kubuntu/Manjaro for example, in a virtual machine.
That's better and simpler than installing another distro from scratch I think.

Return to “Chat about Linux”