Post your top 5 app/games that put a smile on your face.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
richmorehave

Post your top 5 app/games that put a smile on your face.

Post by richmorehave »

I'm a linux newbie and I would be interested if you old-timers and tech gurus tell us New guys what are your TOP 5 apps/games that you use all the time and we might want to try.

And if you are NEW like me, you too could list your top 5 apps/games that puts a smile on your face too.

I saw in another forum section a list of 50 apps but it was started in 2009. 6 years ago.

If you want you could have 2 lists TOP 5 linux apps and TOP 5 linux games, or you could have top 5 combined of just 5 app/games you like.

I have not played any linux games with the exception chess game for 5 mins.

Maybe after your recommendations , the rest of us can try out your top 5 , and put a smile on our face too. :)

Mine are:
1 Onboard (virtual keyboard) so I can just use a mouse to enter text.
2 Grub Customizer so I can rearrange the grub menu.
3 Kodi for entertainment
4 Timeshift for system restore points
5 Skype for phone calls/video chat

I could use some good fun stuff and interesting apps that maybe it would be good to try that I know current people love.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fragezeichen

Re: Post your top 5 app/games that put a smile on your face.

Post by Fragezeichen »

1. Audacious - Great reliable lightweight audio player
2. Spotify - Awesome music streaming service with a really big song library; has a native linux client
3. Steam - Self-explanatory I guess
4. K3b - Solid burning tool that offers a lot of options.. although it is designed for KDE, it works flawlessly on Cinnamon as well
5. gedit - Great text-editor for writing small programs or shell scripts
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Here are some of the first programs I install. The first four are in the Mint repositories.

1. CherryTree - hierarchical note taking application that is a alternative to EverNote and MS OneNote. It is easy enough to figure out how to use without referring to the manual. The manual is available as a CherryTree file (nice touch), and reading it is worthwhile.

2. TreeLine - a mini-database that can be used to organize just about anything. It is a nice companion to CherryTree.

3. AutoKey - a desktop automation utility similar to AutoHotKey for Windows. I use it to insert text I hate to enter by hand - I fill out a lot of forms, and entering email and street addresses get tiresome. I also use it to enter extended characters, such as the degree symbol.

4. shutter - a screenshot utility that takes Print Screen to a new level.

5. XnViewMP - an image viewer that has basic image editing tools. It can read 500+ file formats, including RAW formats for most camera manufacturers, DNG and Dicom. Download the deb from http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
reddot

Post by reddot »

#1. Zim-wiki. I love taking notes, and the fact that it also creates .txt files of the notes as you create them, and also keeps the structure made in zim. makes my life way easier.
#2. Sublime text 3. I cannot live without it, was using aptana studio 3 for a while, found ST3 to be faster to edit html/php/js/css. and light weight too.
#3. pyRenamer. Mass directory/file rename tool. really easy to use. i also use gprename, put pyrenamer is my first choice.
#4. Eqonomize!. By far the easiest way to do personal finances. really easy to use. sucks i have to download a bunch of kde dependencies.
#5. Hamster-indicator. Time tracker, find out just how much time im wasting away, or how much time per week i do actual work :lol:

it was hard for me to make this list since i need atleast 15+.

i need also
Alarm Clock, Parcellite, opera 12.16, filezilla, remmina, libreoffice calc, vlc, keeppassX, cryptkeeper, aptik, luckybackup, virtualbox, audio tag tool, klinkstatus, linssd, fontmatrix, gimp, mate color selection.
George99

Post by George99 »

FS-UAE I love playing my old Amiga games, so to relax I kill some aliens from time to time with Alien Breed Special Edition 1992 :D
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

reddot wrote:#1. Zim-wiki. I love taking notes, and the fact that it also creates .txt files of the notes as you create them, and also keeps the structure made in zim. makes my life way easier.
#2. Sublime text 3. I cannot live without it, was using aptana studio 3 for a while, found ST3 to be faster to edit html/php/js/css. and light weight too.
zim-wiki.
ST2 - paid.
Taskcoach - I used that for my timecard.
ClipIt.
Terminator - emulator.
----
+ any other c-line tool/program that does one thing very well.
reddot

Post by reddot »

Habitual wrote:Does Sublime_Test print, YET? It's the only shortage on that wonderful software.
Have not used function yet, but great thing is i can always rollback to ST2. im pretty new with ST2/3 in general. noob to web development/design, i love package control.
Habitual wrote:Taskcoach - I used that for my timecard.
thanks nice share, very usefull
BlackVeils

Post by BlackVeils »

its 6, not 5

geany - as much as i like gedit, it lacks the ability to indent chunks of code, i have discovered and explored geany, its very lightweight, with plenty of features/settings. i have cleaned the UI, it now looks like a simple text editor.

mirage - lightweight image viewer. like ristretto but also can crop, change size, rename file to another format, custom actions which i have set shortcut keys to open in pinta (for image editing) and send by email.

audacious - simple, lightweight music player. i have it set to remember a few playlists between sessions, and a black skin to not be distracting.

thunar - i'm not totally sure why i prefer this file manager, but i have always chosen to use it over others.

tilda - i press F8 and a drop-down terminal appears whenever i want it, then i can hide (not close) with F8.

plank - lightweight dock, again simple yet functional. i rearrange the panel (taskbar) to have onlymenu, notification icons and time/date, change background to dark grey/black and make transparent, shrink the length, move it to bottom-left side, then have plank dock to the bottom-right with transparent theme.

not necessarily the most important, but they make me smile i guess. i like minimalism.
Last edited by BlackVeils on Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

1) Kdenlive. Not only one of the best video editing systems for Linux, it's one of the best for any OS! I live and die by it and get to make amusing anime music videos. Go on, take a look on my youtube - link in sig!

2) KDE. Personally, when I used KDE 4 for the first time I literally said to myself, "This is the GUI I have been waiting for!" OK, all have their own tastes, but KDE seems perfectly tuned to the way I work and the keyboard shortcut control is second to none! Love it!

3) "Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic." OK, a story here…

For the record, I am an introverted intuitive type of guy. I am not interested in power of material notions of 'success.' I am the sort of person who would turn down the porsche for the Citron 2CV. No, seriously, I would. I am not the sort of person who spends his free time 'hanging out with his mates.' I'm not saying I don't go out, but I tend to get my energy from being in my own fantasy world.

Well, back in about 2007, I think it was, in my Windows days, I had been working very hard and decided I had to take some leave. So I booked four days off. I researched and decided the game 'Star Wars - Knights of the Old Republic' was worth purchasing. It was an old game even then and so I was able to buy cheap from Amazon. I then bought in soda, snack food and slobbed for four days. I ate when I was hungry, slept when I was tired and played the game with no regard for the outside world.

Brilliant, utterly absorbing game and the best four days off ever!!! When people ask me what my best holiday was… that was it!

I am a married man now. Those days are behind. Glad I did it when I could!

Still have the game running under Wine and the successor 'The Sith Lords' running under Steam in Linux.

{Yeah, I take the view that mountaineering, camping and adventure holidays are really great things! For someone else to be doing.)

4) Libreoffice. I HATED the ribbon interface in "Office.' From the time Vista came out, it really seemed to be that Microsoft actively wanted rid of the likes of me. I loved Office 97 and stuck with it stubbornly at home while at work I hate to battle with later, more irritating versions (paperclip not withstanding.) But then came Office 2007. Ouch Then the ribbon interface spread throughout Windows, Windows 7 made Windows usable for a bit but then 8 and now 10 and even explorer is a ribbon fest…

Noooooooooooooo!!!

Libreoffice is like Office 97 but more advanced. I have a user definable toolbar again, menus I can read and keyboard shortcuts for everything. I can just get down and do my work without gadgets gizmos and 'look at me, I am so up-to-date and KEWL.' Using Microsoft software these days is like playing with children's toys. Bright lights, lots of color and no damn use any more. Libreoffice works the way I do and gets the job done. I can't bear using Office now.

Actually, I can't stand Microsoft products at all now. I used to like Microsoft apps. I hated the company but they did seem to produce the most powerful and most sable software.... a long time ago. They seemed to jump the shark in 2007.

5) WINE. If I had to push to a firth, 'Play on Linux+WINE.' I have great fun showing Windows user Windows apps running in Linux and asking them, "Now how many native Linux aps run in Windows?"
"None." They accept.
"And Windows users tell me that Linux is incompatible…?"

But, generally, I find Linux software to all be nice to use. I have had few disasters. OK, Openshot renders like a dog and other single track video editing apps seem bugged to hell in Linux, but the real stuff is good! I rarely find anything that does not work. I find the QT apps such as ark and K3B integrate seamlessly in KDE and it all runs smoothly, nicely and, er, works.

I am so glad I never went Windows 7 at home and ended with XP. I don't think Linux was ready for a user like me a few years back but now… Microsoft has its last penny out of me.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
pacho37

Post by pacho37 »

Won't be too original I'm afraid:

audacious - just works flawlessly and has a small footprint (I don't like all those 'big' audio players like amarok which somehow need to use north of 150 MB of ram with one playlist open...)
steam - people already forgot what the situation was gaming-wise only few years ago, now...well I think I won't be able to finish all the games I have now and those on my wishlist
PCManFM - although I like Dolphin, the default KDE file manager, PCManFM seems a tad faster and it just works
Konsole - ;-)
Trine 1/2 - two of my favourite games ever, great platformers with some physics based puzzles and gorgeous graphics
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

gISOMount
Kdenlive
Rakarrack
TeamViewer
Terminator

Return to “Chat about Linux”