Choosing a CPU and graphics upgrade

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Choosing a CPU and graphics upgrade

Post by HappyLinux »

Well, I have a problem with my current motherboard which means I need to replace it. I chose to post this in the chat section as it's something to chat about. Not really a problem to diagnose and solve in say the "Hardware support" section. People will have their opinions on this as it'll be the age old question. AMD or Intel, AMD or nVidia.

Let me explain.

The USB controller or something is dying. I know it's a hardware problem and not a software problem as I'm on a dual-boot system. The problem is the same under Mint and Windows. The USB just cuts out. One moment I'm doing something, doesn't matter what and then I can't do anything. I can't move the mouse, the keyboard isn't working, and even plugging a flash drive in yields nothing. Sometimes the USB comes back on a moment later, sometimes I have to press the reset button on the computer case or hold the power button to force it to turn off and boot up from cold so to speak.

Like I said, this happens under Mint and Windows, which means it's not a software problem. If it happens under just one of the two operating systems, then that would scream a software problem and then I would be calling for help after searching the internet.

So here's what I'm thinking. Replacing the motherboard would be simple, but it's choosing the processor and graphics. I'm a casual gamer so I'm not looking to spend that much. Along with a new motherboard, CPU, GPU and memory, I think I'll update my computer case.

To begin with. Which processor? Intels efficiency, or AMDs power? Intel is typically 4 cores, but AMD is 6 cores. AMD can have more speed than Intel, but Intels efficiency helps it manage just as well. However, will games work when there's an processor with more than 4 cores? I remember the trouble getting games to work with 4 cores instead or 2.

For Graphics it's either nVidia or AMD. It's the usual war between them. However, for me, as long as it can handle my older games, and newer games like StarCraft 2, the up and coming XCOM2 (no Call of Duty etc) then it's fine. What it comes to is Linux compatibility. Which would work better under Linux? AMD or nVidia? I know with more and more Linux compatible games coming out, nVidia and AMD are finally improving their Linux drivers. Still, which is best. I'll list the graphics cards I have an eye on.

Oh yes, I currently have a GeForce GTX 650 2GB which came out like 3 years ago.

I will now list what I have my eye on in processor and graphics. The processors are part of motherboard bundles. (Motherboard, memory and CPU).

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, Six Core, 3.5GHz/4.1GHz
AMD FX 8350 Black Edition, 8 Core, 4.0GHz/4.2GHz
Intel Core i5-6600K Quad Core Processor (Skylake,3.5GHz-3.9GHz Turbo)

Radeon R7 370 2GB
or the far less powerful
nVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti

Thought I might mention, I chose the graphics by the value gaming comparison reports done by Tomshardware.

Unless someone can make another recommendation.

Oh yes, the motherboard is either;
MSI 970A SLI Krait Edition USB 3.1 AMD ATX Gaming Motherboard
Asus B150M-K D3 Intel Skylake Micro ATX Motherboard

It just depends on which CPU I go for. The AMD motherboard has USB 3.1, but the Intel board has 6 USB 3.0 ports.

So, what do you fine folks suggest? I can answer questions the best I can.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Choosing a CPU and graphics upgrade

Post by Pjotr »

The CPU matter is less important than the graphics matter.

Still, for the CPU I'd go for Intel. They're generally putting more effort in Linux support than AMD.

For the graphics it's a no-brainer: definitely Nvidia. Their support for Linux is much more extensive and long lasting: AMD tends to drop Linux driver support for its graphics cards a lot sooner.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

Stick with Intel based motherboard, for the CPU based on what your said you could go as low as Intel Core i3.
CPU is not as important unless you are folding proteins or encoding music/videos.

In Linux nVidia cards seems to get more attention in terms of support.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Thank you for the response. It's appreciated.

Somehow I agree with your comment about Intel CPU over AMD. Somehow, apart from the A-Series APU, the FX series etc tends to confuse me with their dual speed thingy. I think they call it Turbo-Boost or something. Something to do with automatic overclocking of the CPU. Could just be me. However, I've always preferred Intel for their efficiency. Unless it was something like an AMD A10 APU, I was leaving more to the Core i5 that I listed. Also for Intel CPU to be better supported under Linux than AMD, that makes it a bonus.

As for graphics. I do tend to hear that nVidia drivers are easier to handle under Linux, despite the fact that whenever I wanted to update the drivers, I had to wait for a new release of Mint. You said that AMD drops driver support for their graphics cards sooner than nVidia. Is this something like removing support from the Catalyst Drivers after the graphics card is something like 2 or 3 years old?

So, when it comes down to it, it's an Intel CPU and nVidia graphics. Am I right?

P.S. I've finally settled on what case to get. A CIT Vanquish Gaming Case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5AvRuZQjKU

However, I'm not sure if the SD Card reader built into the case would work under Linux. Not that it's important to me as I've got a USB 35in1 card reader.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Ark987 wrote:Stick with Intel based motherboard, for the CPU based on what your said you could go as low as Intel Core i3.
CPU is not as important unless you are folding proteins or encoding music/videos.

In Linux nVidia cards seems to get more attention in terms of support.
Nope. I'm not much for folding proteins (too much hard work) and I don't do much video encoding either.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

If you need a newer Nvidia driver than the latest one to be found in the Mint repo's, you can use the safe graphics-drivers PPA for that: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -mamarley-
(item 1, left column)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Pjotr wrote:If you need a newer Nvidia driver than the latest one to be found in the Mint repo's, you can use the safe graphics-drivers PPA for that: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... -mamarley-
(item 1, left column)
I use to use the x-swat repo, but then for some reason it stopped keeping on top of updating for newer Linux releases. For some reason the instructions to link the repo into Linux Mint wouldn't work. I will look into the repo that you mentioned.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

HappyLinux wrote: So here's what I'm thinking. Replacing the motherboard would be simple, but it's choosing the processor and graphics. I'm a casual gamer so I'm not looking to spend that much. Along with a new motherboard, CPU, GPU and memory, I think I'll update my computer case.
If you want to save money, it's easy enough to reuse your existing CPU as long as you get a compatible motherboard. Just pull off the heatsink on the old board, remove the thermal compound with some kitchen roll/cotton wool buds and isopropyl alcohol, remove the CPU and pop it in the new board, reapply thermal compound and put the heatsink back on.

I reused the CPU, RAM and graphics card in my last build and it's been fine for the last six months.

On the subject of the case, I scored a cheap £30 PC as a local pick-up on eBay the other day that came in a CIT Vantage case. Also came with DVD RW and 2 card readers, 500w power supply, dated but functional ASRock board with 4GB RAM (DDR2), Athlon II CPU (dual core 2.3 Ghz), 250GB hard drive and onboard Nvidia graphics. The Windows 7 installation it came with runs like crap but wiping for Mint anyway.

Here is a YouTube review of the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAwEFu4KPU
NathanRodriguez

Post by NathanRodriguez »

I would go with Intel/Nvidia too, as it's my current setup. To be honest I've never used an ATI, only Geforces.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

English Invader wrote: If you want to save money, it's easy enough to reuse your existing CPU as long as you get a compatible motherboard. Just pull off the heatsink on the old board, remove the thermal compound with some kitchen roll/cotton wool buds and isopropyl alcohol, remove the CPU and pop it in the new board, reapply thermal compound and put the heatsink back on.

I reused the CPU, RAM and graphics card in my last build and it's been fine for the last six months.

On the subject of the case, I scored a cheap £30 PC as a local pick-up on eBay the other day that came in a CIT Vantage case. Also came with DVD RW and 2 card readers, 500w power supply, dated but functional ASRock board with 4GB RAM (DDR2), Athlon II CPU (dual core 2.3 Ghz), 250GB hard drive and onboard Nvidia graphics. The Windows 7 installation it came with runs like crap but wiping for Mint anyway.

Here is a YouTube review of the case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrAwEFu4KPU
I know exactly where you're coming from. I use to work in a computer shop building and repairing computers. No Linux or Apple ever came into the shop though. However, those days are far behind me and due to my health, I can no longer risk doing such delicate work. I have a form of epilepsy. As part of that, my limbs frequently and randomly jerk. It won't be any good if say I was screwing the graphics card into place, my limbs jerk and the screwdriver goes through the card.

However, a couple of years ago, I had to replace the motherboard in this computer before. Can't remember why though. Back then I kept the graphics card, hard drive etc, just replaced motherboard, CPU and memory.

I just like to keep things balanced. If a new motherboard is needed, then I get a new CPU and faster memory. I tend to keep everything else.

With this being the second motherboard dying, I thinking there might be a slight problem with the PSU. So for safety, a new case with a new PSU.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

real easy cheap fix is buy a pci slot usb card and install that in a pci slot and then plug in you mouse and keyboard and any other usb device and then figure out what yo want to upgrade to and don't rush.

the poorguy
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

Oops. It's been a while since I last posted to this thread.

Buying a PCI card to provide USB is a good idea, but sadly, no longer feasible. My motherboard is dying. I'll explain in another thread.

Return to “Chat about Linux”