[SOLVED]The growth of Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tetrodotoxine

[SOLVED]The growth of Linux

Post by tetrodotoxine »

Hi all,

I don't want to speak again and again about Linux, its positives points and compare to others systems.
My post is more like a cry for help !

For a long time, i tried to use Linux and no other system but systematically i went back to Windows and or to Mac. The main reason was Linux was difficult to use, really... My first try was with Mandrake 7 ! I remember i had to compile the kernel for any reason, like changing my CG...
But every year i watched Linux distros to "jump" at the right time for my knowledge and the investment i want to give to.
Here i am ! Some Linux distros are mature enough for me and Linux Mint gets all i want to let me feel a good experience :) !

BUT....

To make me sure which distro i will use, i nosed the web and i noticed a really sad thing. Until today it was in a way something good but now i think it's bad...

Linux is a very high and powerfull world for everything, just because the system is the property of everyone !
But because everybody good enough to make code can do its own distro, everybody go away and make its own way for anything. It's wrong guys !!!!
There is a sentence in french that says : Diviser pour mieux reigner (Divide and gouvern better)
Now the effect of "everybody's making its own Linux for any reasons" (Don't you realize there is more than 300 different Linux ?!) is beginning to make a wrong effect.

My job is to fix computers (system and equipment). Everybody speaking to me begins to think that Google, Apple and now Microsoft went too far with their fuc**** system made to spy and force the customer to spend money. A lot of people i know who didn't know what is Linux (a disease ????), now ask me "but Linux is a system ? it's like Windows, right ? What can we do with it ?"
I really think we are at a turning point in the world of OS.

A good friend is about to come in Linux world but he has some points to fix, one he could not now (games), like his sound card.
But because good people like you guys, who can make a system, don't focus in a main road together, some guys like my friend are embarrassed to come.
I made some sacrifices to come now :)
It could be a bad thing for the growth of Linux.

So my cry for help is :

People, could you make efforts to get along better, stop going on your own way, focus your intelligence to make a better linux for guys like me ?
Don't you think it will be better to have like 50-100 distros instead of more than 300 ???

It was my though, obviously, i'm not objective as i would, so i'm listening to you :) :) :)

Tétro.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: The growth of Linux

Post by all41 »

Hello Tétro,
Personally I can both agree and disagree.
Your observations are not unique--as a search for 'linux sucks' will reveal.
the yt video touches on this subject.

added: the above referenced video is a lecture recorded live at LinuxFest Northwest 2014
by the Social Media Marketing manager for SUSE. He makes some very interesting points regarding forking.
the title is misleading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs
Last edited by all41 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
tetrodotoxine

Post by tetrodotoxine »

I never said Linux sucks or think it, i think the opposite.
I know my observations are not unique and that's why i posted my wish people will focus on some distros instead of going in many ways :)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

we do agree ami
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

Hello there and welcome aboard 8)

Have a read of some of the vast array of articles out there on Linux security and the reasons why people target (in the main) windows machines and you'll find that, in my very general understanding, it is because there are so many 'types' available, and because of the amount of choice you have, that targeting it becomes more of a headache than most are prepared to have a crack at (alongside with the inbuilt security)

Some of the distros out there are also very specific, for media, science etc and some try to give people that like certain desktop environments and software a tailored package with all their 'favourite bits all-in'. Above all, the single best thing you have with Linux is the sheer volume of choice, I also used to wonder why on earth people would keep 'inventing' a different version, seemingly on a weekly basis, but after a few years of trying out a lot of different distros and coming to rest with mint (albeit I run severl DE's) I now appreciate that the sheer choice that I was never privy to in Windows, is Linux's greatest strength.
Ark987

Post by Ark987 »

I had the same feeling a couple of months ago, was asking my self that question long time ago until I start realizing something when I finally decide to do the final switch.
The only way to help you is to explain what a Linux distro is, I hope you understand what a distro really is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
A Linux distribution (often called a distro for short) is an operating system made as a software collection based on the Linux kernel and, often, on a package management system. Linux users usually obtain their operating system by downloading one of the Linux distributions, which are available for a wide variety of systems ranging from embedded devices (for example, OpenWrt) and personal computers to powerful supercomputers (for example, Rocks Cluster Distribution).

A typical Linux distribution comprises a Linux kernel, GNU tools and libraries, additional software, documentation, a window system (the most common being the X Window System), a window manager, and a desktop environment. Most of the included software is free and open-source software made available both as compiled binaries and in source code form, allowing modifications to the original software. Usually, Linux distributions optionally include some proprietary software that may not be available in source code form, such as binary blobs required for some device drivers.[1] Almost all Linux distributions are Unix-like; the most notable exception is Android, which does not include a command-line interface and programs made for typical Linux distributions.[2]

A Linux distribution may also be described as a particular assortment of application and utility software (various GNU tools and libraries, for example), packaged together with the Linux kernel in such a way that its capabilities meet the needs of many users.[3] The software is usually adapted to the distribution and then packaged into software packages by the distribution's maintainers. The software packages are available online in so-called repositories, which are storage locations usually distributed around the world.[4][5] Beside glue components, such as the distribution installers (for example, Debian-Installer and Anaconda) or the package management systems, there are only very few packages that are originally written from the ground up by the maintainers of a Linux distribution.
Read carefully the very last quoted sentence:
Beside glue components, such as the distribution installers (for example, Debian-Installer and Anaconda) or the package management systems, there are only very few packages that are originally written from the ground up by the maintainers of a Linux distribution.
Strictly speaking Linux itself is not an operating system, the collection of packages + Linux is what makes GNU/Linux a working OS and that is the problem that you are facing right now.
When you choose a Linux distro you are going to be stuck with their project goals and vision (remember they are simple putting together all the lose bits and pieces for their target audience)

You also need to understand that there is no definition of what and how a GNU/Linux should be. I think it would be also impossible to define it, even if you start listing the basic components that an OS should have you will start noticing there is a lot of "duplicity" in the free software world. Hopefully there kernel is still just one, Linux.

When you choose a distro investigate very closely the project goals and vision.
For example there are distros which do not want to deal with proprietary software/drivers thus if you are a consumer with your fancy Nvidia/ATI video card (ironically) you should avoid the distros listed here: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html and not because they are bad, is because you will have hard time with your proprietary hardware. It is also not the fault of the distro neither of the Linux maintainer, if there is one to blame I would point my finger to the big corporations behind it.

The only suggestion that I can give you is

When you have an average knowledge of Linux stick with the upstream (not based on anything else) distributions like Debian, Fedora, OpenSuse, Arch, etc.
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostyp ... tus=Active

When you are just starting stick with Ubuntu/Mint. The big plus of choosing Ubuntu/Mint is its popularity that attract commercial software developers.

After I switch completely to Linux I was using Mint for a couple of months, then I realized that the only reason that I was using Mint was because of the Cinnamon desktop then I drifted to Arch.
Since I already have the knowledge to find my own way, Arch gave me tools to build what I considered what a GNU\Linux OS should be on my PC without philosophical restrictions.

Your request of sticking with one single road is very hard to achieve because of the variety and freedom.
Just look at the desktop environment, each one of then has their own text editor, which one should they focus on? KDE even have their one productivity software (Calligra) when we already have LibreOffice (which was forked from OpenOffice)

You may want to watch this two long videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu0l-Ac7fTU

In my case after analyzing this situation I end up looking for a JeOS (Just Enough Operating System) where I can choose freely my own collection of software and not being dictated by a distro maintainer.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I agree that we have more than enough Linux distros available. I wish several of them would combine forces and work on one super-distro.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Keep forking.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

jimallyn wrote:I agree that we have more than enough Linux distros available. I wish several of them would combine forces and work on one super-distro.
Will it contains super-Lobreoffice, super-VLC, super-Firefox, super-drivers for everything pluged into?
tetrodotoxine wrote:Don't you think it will be better to have like 50-100 distros instead of more than 300 ???
Yes. So, I have just 3 and don't interesting rest 297.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

I'm okay with fragmentation. It encourages competition and innovation.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

This has been discussed so many times...

How many car manufacturers? How many models? How many options and colors? Do you think this is normal? So why don't you like choice for Linux?
tetrodotoxine

Post by tetrodotoxine »

Hi killer de bug,

The subject i launched is not about "how many" but mostly (sum up) a question of a beginner about "how about better focus efforts" for a smaller choice of distros which could be the front of Linux.
And my post was rather phylosophical than a comparison :) Something like a wish i would share...

Now i think i will close this post, i don't want guys ignite the debate. There is enough of subjects which are no longer in the right topic :)

I anderstood guys who prefer fragmentation like MartyMint for encouraging innovation, it's very good for this OS. And with your comments i know now it has to exist to keep the quality of all in Linux/BSD/Unix universe.

I think i will do what i could to bring my contribution to Linux.
To beginning my wife is under Mint, i'm, one of friend will come, shortly my sister should come and i'm trying to show the interests of Linux to who want to hear me !
It's something right ?! :)

So guys, thank you for your help.

Tétro :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”