Cluster experience, anyone?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Cluster experience, anyone?

Post by Fred Barclay »

Background: I have 2 working machines--a 32-bit desktop and a 64-bit laptop. I also have another 32-bit desktop w/ a broken processor (processor shuts the computer down within 1-2 seconds of booting) and a broken hdd BUT I have another laptop with a broken screen, another bad hdd, and a perfectly-good 32-bit processor. (All the 32-bit machines are Intel processors, the 64-bit is AMD).

I'm learning a bit of hacking ("cracking", rather) both for self-defense and to get more understanding about computers in general. As it is, it takes me a few days to crack passwords (via wordlists). I also do some numerical computation, so I write code in python 3 to help--as of now, this is pretty fast, but when I eventually get around to calculating pi to the nth decimal place... :lol:
It struck me that both of these tasks are very similar; i.e. they're both basically number crunching. So my thought is to first repair the broken desktop with the laptop processor, and then build a cluster out of this machine and my working desktop to use for number crunching. What I need now is experience, suggestions, and any info that might be even remotely helpful. :D

I plan on:
1. Connecting the two via a spare ethernet cable.
2. Installing Debian Stable as my OS. Any better ideas? CentOS, Oracle, *BSD, etc? I'm definitely more of an "apt" guy than yum, but I can make do if there's a real reason to run another OS.
Also, I plan on installing the OS without a DE. I'm pretty comfy on the command line (#thanksArch), and I don't see any reason to waste any space with a DE. If you think I really should install xfce, or mate, or lxde please let me know && why.
3. This next part I'm a bit foggy on. I'd like to hook the machines up so that I can access them (it?) remotely. My ISP has given me a dynamic IP, alas, and there's no chance of switching to static. Do you have any ideas what I could use for SECURE remote access. I've used ssh a bit but only on a LAN.
I'll need this to:
(a) send remote captured handshake files (and other files) for decrypting. I'd capture them on my lappy and send them in to the cluster for processing.
(b) execute commands. If I need something calculated and I'm remote, I'd like to be able to tell the cluster what to do so I can save my lappy's resources.
This is probably material for another thread, but I wanted to throw this out here.

I really appreciate any info you might have about any of this! :D
Fred
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Cluster experience, anyone?

Post by xenopeek »

Fred Barclay wrote:my thought is to first repair the broken desktop with the laptop processor
Laptop processors are generally soldered onto the mainboard I believe. Even if the processor is in a socket, you'll need to make sure your laptop and desktop use the exact same socket type which is unlikely.

I have no experience with clusters. Sorry to be the bearer of probably bad news for the hardware plans :|
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

...and it's a different type socket. :( Oh, well. (BTW: the processor was removable.)

I'd mark this SOLVED but I still would like any info or hints that anyone might have.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You can get used processors from ebay really cheap. My 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo cost $10.00 with free shipping. My Athlon 64 x2 4400+ was $6.00 with free shipping.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Some info on creating a Beowulf cluster at home: http://www.linux.org/threads/building-a ... ster.7858/. That links to a page on the Ubuntu wiki for more details, so this sounds like something you should be able to do on Linux Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux”