Machine Install

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kidflash

Machine Install

Post by kidflash »

was just wondering what people install Linux MInt on ?

new machines with windows and go over it

or do you buy new machines with linux pre installed

:?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

Used desktop PC that had a (possibly pirated) copy of Win 7 when I bought it.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Machine Install

Post by kc1di »

Can only speak for myself all my machines are rescued from M.S. :D
Have 4 of them.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Both of my machines are old Windows machines. One was XP, the other was Vista.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

These days I recycle and repair old computers. I have 2 machines that had Vista, 1 that had Windows 7 and 1 that had Windows 8. All these computers run Linux real nice and are very usable.
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I've installed LM on every format of PC.

I've done Desktops, Laptops, "Brick" computers and "Stick" computers!

Everything besides the stick computer ran great without any real configuration.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

@Cheifahol: what's a brick computer? I know what a bricked one is (to my sorrow :lol: ); is this just a play on words? Or is there really a "brick" computer?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I installed it on my laptop and desktop, both of which has Windows previously. You can install Mint alongside Windows with the option to boot either if you wish. Did this on one of the internet machines at work which was starting to run a little slow. Mint flies and nobody has booted back into Windows since.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

I've never bought a machine with Linux preinstalled. They exist but they are very rare and only available online.
Since 2008 I have been buying used or refurbished computers. Up until 2008 I was a desktop only user. Since then I have used laptops 95% of the time and only Dell Latitudes and Precisions and various Apple MacBooks. I always have a desktop around for those times that I want to work on my desk.
I've never had a Linux only machine. It's always been dual boot with Windows on PC laptops or triple boot with MacOS and Windows on Apple MacBooks.

My problem is that I change computers too often. If I see something else that I like, I sell one or two that I have to raise funds for the new purchase. :mrgreen:
Plus I always seem to upgrade the RAM to max supported on the machines and always replace spinning hard drives with SSDs.

I can't tolerate slow computers. Will only buy laptops with quad core i7 processors, dedicated graphics, and motherboards that support at least 16GB RAM.

What can I say, I have a problem, I like hardware too much :mrgreen:
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

Fred Barclay wrote:@Cheifahol: what's a brick computer? I know what a bricked one is (to my sorrow :lol: ); is this just a play on words? Or is there really a "brick" computer?
There really are brick computers! (Well that's what I call NUC devices because of the brick-like shape.)

Check em out, a lot of the intel ones are very mint compatible:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?mai ... cPath=1552
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

I have 5 computers running Linux Mint on a partition or the entire hard drive now.

1. an old HP desktop that is about 10 years old. I bought it used from a computer repair shop with Windows 7 installed and an Intel 1.8 GHz single core processor. I backed up the OS, put in a bigger hard drive, graphics card, a faster 3.0 GHz dual core processor off ebay, and more RAM, and reinstalled Windows 7 on one partition and Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE on another. It is too obsolete for Windows 10 due to the processor standards.
2. an HP slimpc with a 2.7 GHz singlecore AMD processor that I bought new at Walmart in 2010 with Windows 7 installed. It has just Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE on it now. I do have Windows 7 backed up on disc for it, but I was unhappy with how slow Windows ran on it that I just have mint on it. The only mod is a graphics card that I also bought for it 5 years ago.
3. an eMachines desktop with a 1.6 GHz dual core AMD processor that I bought new from Walmart 5 years ago with Windows 7 and I installed a graphics card in it. This is the one I'm posting from right now using Linux Mint 17.2 XFCE, although the other partition has Windows 10 on it.
4. an AMD kit computer that I mostly assembled off Tigerdirect and Amazon parts this year. It has never had Windows on it, but has Linux Mint 17.2 Mate on it. The processor is a 3.7 GHz dual core.
5. an Intel kit computer that I assembled with parts from Amazon.com and a local computer store. It has never had Windows on it either, but it does have Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on it. The processor is 3.2 GHz dual core.

So I have a mix of computers that I bought new with windows, that I bought used with windows, and that I assembled myself without ever having windows. Mint works fine on all of them, although I am thinking of replacing Cinnamon with something else due to a minor issue.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

My wife owns a 7 year old Dell which came with Vista. Soon I installed a not so legal version of 7 on it to make the computer usable. This has worked for 6 years or so until earlier this year she started complaining about the frequent updates and the fact the computer became slower. Time for Mint to jump in. I installed Mint 17.2 KDE-64 and she is happy again. And when the wife is happy ......

We have a laptop which is used as holiday computer. We bring it on our holiday trips to store pictures, to have a decent internet screen , to make phone calls using VOIP. The laptop was bought with 7 on it, soon it was Mint and 7, then only Mint and now since I do some work at home for the company I work for I installed 7 again next to Mint. Upgraded 7 to 10 and been busy for 2 hours changing all default settings from open to close. I like my privacy.

My desktop computer is a self made machine. Bought the parts after careful selection and turned them into a computer. Didn't order any OS since I knew it would be Mint anyway. A few weeks ago I took out some old hard disks and replaced them with 2 128GB SSD's which in RAID0 hold the OS and the home disk, without my private folders. They and a /Music folder are stored in RAID0 as well on 2 1TB disks which originally came with this computer.
Now I have a real computer, it is lightning fast, both boot and using it. I changed KDE to my liking and now I am happy as well. Oh wait, I was happy already since the wife is happy.

Return to “Chat about Linux”