Why not be greedy?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
me76

Why not be greedy?

Post by me76 »

Okay, I'm not saying greed is good but it is often human nature. Look at Microsoft. They knew early on that they had something going and they patient it so it was theirs and theirs only. I'm very grateful and happy that Linux code is open source but my question is who invented it and why did they decided to let everyone use it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Chiefahol

Re: Why not be greedy?

Post by Chiefahol »

FOSS like linux is created specifically to be an alternative to proprietary code.

A world where you have to pay to do the simplest computing tasks (copy file, extract zip, open webpage) would suck! And so people flock to free and OS software!

Also due to the nature of open source, it's kind of impossible for the original linux authors to turn around and say "we want payment". They control nothing, they make code and it gets copied and changed by other authors.

Post by 1.618 »

me76 wrote:Okay, I'm not saying greed is good but it is often human nature.
As is compassion, morals and ethics and SHARING with your brothers and sisters instead of exploiting them for a resource (shiny shiny) to further furnish ones own ego :-)
ninomrki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ninomrki »

me76 wrote:Okay, I'm not saying greed is good but it is often human nature. Look at Microsoft. They knew early on that they had something going and they patient it so it was theirs and theirs only. I'm very grateful and happy that Linux code is open source but my question is who invented it and why did they decided to let everyone use it?
The answers to your questions can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

me76 wrote:Okay, I'm not saying greed is good
Greed is good for some things. Greed makes humans innovate and advance.
We'd be living like in the stone age if it weren't for greed :mrgreen:
Last edited by z31fanatic on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Microsoft also helped all users by lowering the cost of a bundled OS; which could easily be replaced or run along with Linux OS (multi-boot)
--lowered costs for technology would have happened in any case: Microsoft simply sped up the process

So despite any MS flaws, their unintended consequence was to help make Linux cheaper to adopt because of their mass market/volume buying power
--and some MS windows OS products were ok, such as the long available XP
  • The only issue I really have with MS is the constant need to license the product(s)
    --once license activated, and if never rebuilt/formatted, it would never need reactivation
    At least that's true for win XP, can't say about any future WIN OS..
As to Linux it has pretty much been an always available option, even when it wasn''t GUI (user friendly install)
--since all desktops have been cross sampling each other for ideas over time: they have all become very similar, whether Linux, Windows or Apple (OSX)
  • As you said one big advantage of linux and OSS
    --is the large availability of software, many that can compete with commercial products: check LibreOffice/OpenOffice as a standard bearer, and many others:peruse the software or Synaptic (package manager) and you will see lots to investigate..
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Let's not confuse greed with ambition.

They're not the same thing.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Why not be greedy? Because I get far more satisfaction from being generous than I do from being greedy.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
theStreak

Post by theStreak »

Let's not confuse greed with unambitious "fair pay for fair work" either. ;)
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

me76 wrote:...I'm very grateful and happy that Linux code is open source but my question is who invented it and why did they decided to let everyone use it?
2 individuals share responsibility for this - Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman. A link for Torvalds is provided in a post above. This is a good link for Stallman >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image

Return to “Chat about Linux”