Do You Use Command Line/Terminal?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Do You Use Command Line/Terminal?

Post by excollier »

I use the GUI for 90% of what I do, terminal for my headless Raspberry Pi when it needs an update (ssh and some sftp stuff as I use it as a simple NAS mostly)
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I practically never use the CLI.
A mature desktop operating system should not require the routine use of the terminal. A big problem I see in the Linux community is that old timers tell noobs that they have to learn to use the terminal. This is patently absurd with a distro like Mint that is all about well built, easy to use GUI tools. If using Linux is a hobby and you just like mucking around in the internals, by all means use the terminal but a regular desktop user should not be told learning the CL is mandatory. That is not true and, to be honest, it is a elitist position to take.
Before switching to Mint I used OSX, a Unix which does not require the regular user to ever use the terminal. Mint does not require the terminal to get things done either.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, I don't tell anyone that he *has* to use the terminal. However, my attempts at helping people very often do involve terminal commands.

Not out of elitism, but out of sheer convenience.... Mint has four different official desktop environments, with varying and ever-changing graphical tools. It's far easier for me to simply help by providing a couple of terminal commands, that have identical effect regardless of the desktop environment. And which don't change so often as the GUI's.

As long as I tell beginners that they only need to copy/paste those commands and that their root password remains invisible in the terminal, it's easy for them as well. At least, that's the feedback I usually get.

I firmly believe that no how-to is *essentially* difficult, provided that you give enough explanation. Even if it's a how-to that involves the use of terminal commands.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

InkKnife wrote:I practically never use the CLI.
A mature desktop operating system should not require the routine use of the terminal. A big problem I see in the Linux community is that old timers tell noobs that they have to learn to use the terminal. This is patently absurd with a distro like Mint that is all about well built, easy to use GUI tools.
Even Windows required to use terminal. Nearest example "sfc /scannow" LOL! Not mention "ping", "tracert", "net wiev", "route add", "route print" e.t.c. Never heard about?
Now you know. Windows is much more then many like to think about.
What explanation Linux guru gives to some Linux user? Few strings of termnal commands to copy paste.
What explanation Windows guru gives to some Windows user? Lot of screenshots: "here click there then there click here, etc".
Even for "how to run command prompt as administrator". LOL!
http://www.tothepc.com/archives/windows ... or-rights/
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Pjotr wrote:Well, I don't tell anyone that he *has* to use the terminal. However, my attempts at helping people very often do involve terminal commands.

Not out of elitism, but out of sheer convenience.... Mint has four different official desktop environments, with varying and ever-changing graphical tools. It's far easier for me to simply help by providing a couple of terminal commands, that have identical effect regardless of the desktop environment. And which don't change so often as the GUI's.

As long as I tell beginners that they only need to copy/paste those commands and that their root password remains invisible in the terminal, it's easy for them as well. At least, that's the feedback I usually get.

I firmly believe that no how-to is *essentially* difficult, provided that you give enough explanation. Even if it's a how-to that involves the use of terminal commands.
First off I regret the "elitism" remark, that was ill-considered.
I get that the terminal is a common ground that can be counted on for certain problems. What I am getting at can be easily seen in the op Tips For Noobs" thread here. That thread is full of advice that makes Mint look really hard and off putting. That thread is not really tips for noobs, it is tips for the aspiring sys admin.
I switched to Mint from OSX and in my opinion Mint is no harder to use than OSX and in many ways easier. Now that I have switched I realise I could have made the leap years ago but I kept seeing articles about Linux, written by Linux advocates, that made it sound like way, way too much work and learning. I have been using Mint for over 3.5 years now as my daily driver and I have had to learn very little. I was deceived about how hard Linux was and not by anti-Linux types but by those who would probably think of themselves as advocates.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

InkKnife wrote:I kept seeing articles about Linux, written by Linux advocates, that made it sound like way, way too much work and learning. I have been using Mint for over 3.5 years now as my daily driver and I have had to learn very little. I was deceived about how hard Linux was and not by anti-Linux types but by those who would probably think of themselves as advocates.
That is indeed a problem.... Many Linux advocates are well-meaning, smart technical guys who are very helpful towards beginners. But they're sometimes not proficient in helping at the low level needed for beginners. That might needlessly scare people away.

I see that at the Linux users group in my computer club: there are very enthusiastic Linux users in that group, but some of them just lack the ability to transfer their knowledge to beginners (even though they really try).

It was also a problem for me personally, when I first started with Linux (Ubuntu) in 2005 / 2006. I asked some relatively simple questions on the (at that time brand-new) Dutch Ubuntu forum, but some of the answers were way above my head. Very frustrating. It's an experience that I still keep in the back of my mind, when I help people on a forum or when I write how-to's on my website.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I decided to try terminal. What a mistake. Tried to update Mint 16 again and I get a message to run a command. Now I am left with:

error ELF header smaller than expected
Entering rescue mode
grub rescue>

Downloading 16 Cin 64 bit for new DVD install. Sigh.
17 has no up down scroll arrows which I really need.
Not a Linux expert by far.

L
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Linux Mint 16 is obsolete. You cannot update it. Terminal or not. The repo have been turned off, there is nothing to update.

Install Linux Mint 13 or Linux Mint 17. The arrows are part of the theme. If the default theme is not suited for you, use a different one.
lexon

Post by lexon »

The DVD will not work anyway. Need a Root partition.
Use to be a picture of the HD with s a slider to select the part of the HD or use all. Not anymore. Sigh.

Never did figure out themes. too techie-ish.

I will keep hacking away.

L
rliegh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rliegh »

I've been using Linux since 1998, and it's honestly 50/50 for me. Some things are seriously frustrating to do from the command line (eg installing Radeon drivers) and I'd prefer to have a GUI for it. On the other hand, for day to day file organization, backing crap up and moving things around I feel more comfortable with a good terminal, nvi (**** vim, tyvm), Midnight Commander and a decent archiver (zip or tar).
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

rliegh wrote:I've been using Linux since 1998, and it's honestly 50/50 for me. Some things are seriously frustrating to do from the command line (eg installing Radeon drivers) and I'd prefer to have a GUI for it
Some GUI dialog: "Don't not delete all records from database ? [YES, NO]".
Make your life cost choice with fast single click.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

One thing is sure: CLI is unparalleled when things go wrong. It's very reassuring and satisfying, knowing that in case of pretty much any issue, hard drive failures or severely corrupt data aside, you can boot straight into CLI, fire up a few commands and bring the system back online. I've left the word 'reinstall' in the gutter years ago together with Win XP.
Nili

Post by Nili »

Yes i do, In the end we'll stop there sooner or later to fix our mess.

Linux ABC starts from command line, ofcourse at first it looks scary but if we're decided to learn some basic Linux sugar, yes, we must give a little effort from our time, If you care too much for your desktop, fear not breaking it? then Virtualization Desktops are the perfect example to start learning.

If we want to see how profound is the rabbit holes, we should step deeper. After some years in the hole, the GUI will sound a joke to you :lol:

Have fun,
Happy tweaking...

Linux is Wonderful :D

P.s. Don't hesitate or have fear to try, re-try, breaking and starting from scratch... some courage friends, is neither end world nor a North Korea prison.

Return to “Chat about Linux”